• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Miner
    • Apr 2019
    • Abu Dhabi

Wheel Spacers

Lots of conflicting advice out there... lots of reasonable points and an equal amount, if not more of the ill informed garbage perspective... worth considering? Particular cases to consider (lifted and driving in sand)? Pitfalls?

Not a cheap purchase depending on whether you go AOR or H&R... what’s the thoughts / experience amongst the forum?

Car is a 2” lifted Gen 4-3 3.8L SWB with stock 16” rims and Geolandar AT-S rubber.
  • Dicko1
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2014
    • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by Miner View Post
    Lots of conflicting advice out there... lots of reasonable points and an equal amount, if not more of the ill informed garbage perspective... worth considering? Particular cases to consider (lifted and driving in sand)? Pitfalls?

Not a cheap purchase depending on whether you go AOR or H&R... what’s the thoughts / experience amongst the forum?

Car is a 2” lifted Gen 4-3 3.8L SWB with stock 16” rims and Geolandar AT-S rubber.
    Answer is quite simple...they are illegal for on road use.
    Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• old Jack
      Regular
      • Jun 2011
      • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post
      Answer is quite simple...they are illegal for on road use.
      Dicko is correct, the use of wheel spacers is illegal unless they were used by the vehicle manufacturer.

However if you are in luck enough to have 7x16 P46 offset rims as factory fit then 7x16 P38 offset rims from a MN Triton or PB/PC Challenger will physically and legally fit. These will increase your wheel track by 16mm.

OJ.

Edit; Just noticed you are not in Australia so the legality restriction may not be a concern. I seem to recall a forum member running P30 offset rims with a 26mm increase in tyre diameter but a standard width, and he did not report any clearance issues. However he did have wheel bearing failures which he believed the excessive widening of the wheel track was partially to blame. He regularly travelled at GVM+ weights over very rough tracks for extended periods of time.
      Last edited by old Jack; 23-05-19, 08:49 AM.
      2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
      MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Miner
        • Apr 2019
        • Abu Dhabi

Thanks guys.... any hard and fast rules on track width vs lift?

I have seen posts on the local off-road forums saying things like “Pajeros have a high CoG and are a roll risk in the dunes, if you lift one then your should really fit spacers”.... which I believe to be bollocks spouted by people who know bugger all and hoover up all the chat from the Jeepers. Use of spacers is rife here, lots of people concerned about rollover on the dunes.

There is however some sense in the above... more in line with my original point though.

The ET46 16” wheels fit ok, the 3.8 SWB has same brakes as the 3.5 LWB, so you can run them. They’re Enkei also, didn’t realise, nice and light.

There is a guy here who runs a Gen 3 SWB 3.8L with massive offset rims, regularly smokes jeeps on advanced drives... happy that the Pajero is more than adequate for my needs. [emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• nj swb
          Resident
          • Jun 2007
          • Adelaide

“Pajeros have a high CoG and are a roll risk in the dunes, if you lift one then your should really fit spacers”....
          By what stretch of whose imagination does a Gen 3 / 4 Pajero have a high CoG? Compared to what? Got pics of all the rolled Pajeros?

Seeing the way you guys drive in the dunes, I'd be concerned about roll-overs too. But isn't the risk part of the fun?

Theoretically, any lift of independent suspension pulls in the wheels, reducing track. The effect is minimal, and given the limitations on how far the suspension can be lifted, wider tyres is probably all that is needed to put the outside shoulders back (or beyond) where they were. A mild decrease in offset (e.g. +46 to +38) will definitely help, particularly with scrub radius if you've fitted taller tyres.
          NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• cruisn06
            Valued Member
            • Jan 2011
            • Perth WA

I run spacers, 30mm hub centric ones. no issues at all, just make sure you install them correctly. torque to spec and use red locktite.

As for legal issues, everything is illegal in this country so just run it, as for insurance, if it causes the crash youre screwed. if it didnt, then your fine. they have to prove the spacers caused the accident.

as for tipping issues, the paj is quite sure footed, I think a 45* side angle like the old ones still. most people will stop pushing well before that point, plus just avoid side staddling dunes.
            07 Mitsubishi Pajero Shorty - Currently rolling around... Parked in Armenia for the moment

Insta: https://www.instagram.com/wrongturnadventure/

Comment

• Miner
              • Apr 2019
              • Abu Dhabi

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
              By what stretch of whose imagination does a Gen 3 / 4 Pajero have a high CoG? Compared to what? Got pics of all the rolled Pajeros?

Seeing the way you guys drive in the dunes, I'd be concerned about roll-overs too. But isn't the risk part of the fun?

Theoretically, any lift of independent suspension pulls in the wheels, reducing track. The effect is minimal, and given the limitations on how far the suspension can be lifted, wider tyres is probably all that is needed to put the outside shoulders back (or beyond) where they were. A mild decrease in offset (e.g. +46 to +38) will definitely help, particularly with scrub radius if you've fitted taller tyres.

[emoji1][emoji1] Legend probably has it that someone who owned a Pajero and thought they were the next Dakar winner tried to keep with an advanced driver in a tricked up jeep and rolled in the process... therefore they’re unstable... or compared to a jeep which is much wider track and has a lower CoG as there’s nothing much metal higher than the door... therefore they must be prone to roll... or something like that. [emoji85][emoji1]

Done some cross cresting in the driving school patrols... easy when driving someone else’s car under instruction... [emoji23] think I’ll keep that sort of antics for on the bikes though. Easy to self recover. [emoji2957]

Makes sense regarding the track... that’s kinda what I was wondering as you must lose close to an inch on the rear camber adjuster post lift. Stuck with 265x70x16” (stock) just came down from 18” to do so. Just recently got the 16” though and had them painted... sneaking in spacers an easier option to hide from the mrs.

Comment

• Miner
                • Apr 2019
                • Abu Dhabi

Originally posted by cruisn06 View Post
                I run spacers, 30mm hub centric ones. no issues at all, just make sure you install them correctly. torque to spec and use red locktite.

As for legal issues, everything is illegal in this country so just run it, as for insurance, if it causes the crash youre screwed. if it didnt, then your fine. they have to prove the spacers caused the accident.

as for tipping issues, the paj is quite sure footed, I think a 45* side angle like the old ones still. most people will stop pushing well before that point, plus just avoid side staddling dunes.

Sounds sensible.... agreed on the justification points... which ones are you using? Are you in Oz too? Or over my neck of the woods?

I’ve had it round some tricky stuff stock and it’s been fine... ASC/TC interference before I knew you could pull the relay was the biggest issue. It’s always felt fine.... my pants will be full before 45deg though. [emoji85][emoji1]

One thing they don’t have is the pitch/roll meters like the old ones (googiligogs as we called them [emoji1])... they used to bounce about like made though making them hard to read.

Comment

• cruisn06
                  Valued Member
                  • Jan 2011
                  • Perth WA

Sounds sensible.... agreed on the justification points... which ones are you using? Are you in Oz too? Or over my neck of the woods?

I’ve had it round some tricky stuff stock and it’s been fine... ASC/TC interference before I knew you could pull the relay was the biggest issue. It’s always felt fine.... my pants will be full before 45deg though. [emoji85][emoji1]

One thing they don’t have is the pitch/roll meters like the old ones (googiligogs as we called them [emoji1])... they used to bounce about like made though making them hard to read.

i cant remember the brand, made in OZ though. was in Perth but now the wagon is in Africa. ill eventually make it your way. haha
                  07 Mitsubishi Pajero Shorty - Currently rolling around... Parked in Armenia for the moment

Insta: https://www.instagram.com/wrongturnadventure/

Comment

• Miner
                    • Apr 2019
                    • Abu Dhabi

i cant remember the brand, made in OZ though. was in Perth but now the wagon is in Africa. ill eventually make it your way. haha

Ha ha.... it’s a long drive but it’s doable... [emoji23]

Comment

• damienpajero
                      • Feb 2018
                      • perth

30mm spacers, 0 offset and illegal
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Miner
                        • Apr 2019
                        • Abu Dhabi

That’s a serious front bumper. [emoji41]

Comment

• damienpajero
                          • Feb 2018
                          • perth

its cost me a washer bottle so thanks
                          Attached Files

Comment

• redbruce
                            Administrator
                            • Sep 2019
                            • Melbourne

Actually they only need to determine it is illegal (unroadworthy) to refuse insurance.

PCOV Member 1954
                            MY15 NX Exceed, Auto Mate PRO, Paddle shift, Vlads TC mod, EVC U9, Unicorn Power upgraded intercooler, Ultimate Diesel tune, Fuel manager 2 micron post filter, Redarc BCDC + Lithium, MM tow hitch, Teshonka brake controller, Provent catch can, GME 3350 UHF, RHS Offroad bash set, Falken Wildpeak AT3W LT265/70R17, TPMS, Dobinson IMS/Kings HHD/EHD 40mm lift, Rhino bars, Drifta 270 awning, spare tyre lift, Ultraguage MX 1.4, Ultravision 205 4.5K lightbar, auxiliary PWR 23 row transmission cooler and radiator bypass, upgraded bar/plate intercooler, KAON barrier and shelf, XTM drawer, ARB Smartbar.

Comment

• nj swb
                              Resident
                              • Jun 2007
                              • Adelaide

Originally posted by redbruce View Post
                              Actually they only need to determine it is illegal (unroadworthy) to refuse insurance.
                              No. This is just one of many internet myths that refuse to die.

Legally, the insurance company needs to prove that the defect was a significant contributor to the cause of the claim. This goes to one of the fundamental principles of contract law, not just insurance law.

This doesn't mean they won't try.

This doesn't mean they won't get away with it.

This doesn't mean they're right.

If you're gonna play the game, you've gotta know the rules.

I agree. Dumb idea, end of story.

(And yes, I know that Porsche fit them in the factory. An accountant's solution to an engineering problem.)
                              NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X