• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pander6
    • Sep 2014
    • Happy Valley SA

PS Reverse Camera

We recently hired a 2017 Exceed PS with view to possibly replacing our NM Paj. I noted that the reverse camera image at night especially was not that great. I wondered at the time that it may have been a dodgy camera?
    Are there any PS owners who might be able to comment on the quality of the camera and/or display?
    I have a good unit fitted to my school bus which provides a very good night image so am keen to ensure as good quality should we end up with a PS.

Peter
  • JohnFromPerth
    • Mar 2018
    • Western Australia

I have to agree that the image from the reversing camera is not all that good at night. I think the problem is not the camera but the low light level from the reversing lights. Maybe an upgrade to the reversing lights is in order.

Comment

• simonbat
      • Aug 2017
      • Epping

I had the same issues with the quantity of light put out by the reversing lights, so I added a pair of these little puppies.

This light bar is a versatile creation to help you out in driving at night, on low light conditions or on a rainy weather. It Features quality LEDs which produce incredible amount of luminous flux while maintaining low power consumption, maximize the fuel economy of the vehicle. New single row flood beam configuration offering a staggering 1 LUX @40m distance penetration,lighting up all the surrounding. It Features IP68 dust/particle tight and waterproof up to 3 metres depth,which made of Industrial grade heavy duty Diecast Aluminium body with 3mm PMMA lens will ensure that the light bar will survive long in harsh outback condition. With an Ultra-low amp draw stabiliser for maximum lifespan, to double up your savings on your pocket.

There are two nicely placed brackets supporting the rear bumper that I mounted them to.
      I wired them to the reversing pin of the trailer plug. You may have to connect the reversing wire to the ECU, as this is not usually done by the installers.

I now have fantastic rear lighting in both the camera and mirrors.
      Attached Files

Comment

• Keithyv
        Valued Member
        • May 2018
        • Perth

Infra-Red LED's also work well. My last car had a cheap reversing camera with 4 Infra-red LEDs around the camera. Worked a treat at night - the camera can pick up the infra red light that the naked eye cannot see. No need to actually flood the area with 'visible' light.
        2014 NW MY14 3.2 DID GLX-R Auto. Champagne in colour!
        MM Lockup mate. King KCRS-35 rear springs. Monroe Gas Magnum TDT rear shocks. 3M color stable tint all round. Spare wheel lift kit. 'Dynamat' in all doors and rear cargo area. Pioneer AVH-Z5150BT Head Unit. Upgraded Speakers. Rear (2nd row) USB outlet. Factory nudge bar with LED light bar. Provent catch can. LED interior lights. Rear cargo area twin Andersons and Merit socket. Anderson plug in rear bumper. 6 channel TPMS.

Comment

• marlin1856
          • Apr 2013
          • Melbourne

Originally posted by simonbat View Post
          I had the same issues with the quantity of light put out by the reversing lights, so I added a pair of these little puppies.

This light bar is a versatile creation to help you out in driving at night, on low light conditions or on a rainy weather. It Features quality LEDs which produce incredible amount of luminous flux while maintaining low power consumption, maximize the fuel economy of the vehicle. New single row flood beam configuration offering a staggering 1 LUX @40m distance penetration,lighting up all the surrounding. It Features IP68 dust/particle tight and waterproof up to 3 metres depth,which made of Industrial grade heavy duty Diecast Aluminium body with 3mm PMMA lens will ensure that the light bar will survive long in harsh outback condition. With an Ultra-low amp draw stabiliser for maximum lifespan, to double up your savings on your pocket.

There are two nicely placed brackets supporting the rear bumper that I mounted them to.
          I wired them to the reversing pin of the trailer plug. You may have to connect the reversing wire to the ECU, as this is not usually done by the installers.

I have a similar tow bar and when in reverse with a trailer connected the sensors are screaming, can you pls explain how to wire into the ECU? will it fix this issue?
          2016 Pajero Sport Exceed Titanium

Comment

• JohnFromPerth
            • Mar 2018
            • Western Australia

Just switch off the reversing sensors. The button is down below the Engine Start/Stop button and is labeled "P-Sonar".
            Also read page 6-96 in the owner's manual.

I think the wire to the ECU refered to is to tell the stability control system that there is a trailer on behind. This is a sense wire that is activated when the trailer electricals are plugged in. This feature is there if the genuine Mitsubishi wiring harness is used when the tow bar is installed.
            Last edited by JohnFromPerth; 25-05-18, 02:47 PM.

Comment

• PA.
              • Feb 2018
              • South Australia

You could fit a 12 pin trailer plug that has a spare connection and use one to activate a Normally Closed relay to deactivate the reversing sensors. This would then automatically turn them off when a trailer is attached. This is how my VW works from the factory.

Comment

• The Commodore
                Valued Member
                • Nov 2009
                • Macarthur Region NSW.

I'm an electrician and like to fiddle with things like this BUT why re-invent the wheel when there's already a switch to do it effectively for you?
                Regards.....Keith.

Comment

• marlin1856
                  • Apr 2013
                  • Melbourne

Because if you forget, which is every time the sensors scream not to mention you buy a car with all the bells and whistles and then have to remember to hit the switch manually when it is suppose to disable when plugged in
                  The dealer told me on the last service if I had the genuine Mitsu one fitted (ugly as hell) then it would disable when plugged in but mine is the Haymen Reece which I'm told should also do it but for some reason doesn't.

Comment

• JohnFromPerth
                    • Mar 2018
                    • Western Australia

The trick is to use a genuine Mitsubishi cable harness with the Haymen Reece type tow bar. The Mitsi harness has a chip in it that talks to the ECU and turns off the sonar sensors when in reverse with a trailer hitched up.
                    I believe some after market tow bar suppliers also make a suitable harness to the Mitsi specifications.
                    If yours does not work, go back to your supplier.

Comment

• marlin1856
                      • Apr 2013
                      • Melbourne

Originally posted by JohnFromPerth View Post
                      The trick is to use a genuine Mitsubishi cable harness with the Haymen Reece type tow bar. The Mitsi harness has a chip in it that talks to the ECU and turns off the sonar sensors when in reverse with a trailer hitched up.
                      I believe some after market tow bar suppliers also make a suitable harness to the Mitsi specifications.
                      If yours does not work, go back to your supplier.
                      Cheers for that....i'll be making a call first thing Monday morn

Comment

• Wanderer2
                        • May 2018
                        • Victoriia

Pajero Sport reversing lamps

Simonbat, I want to wire in an additional reversing lamp as you have done. with your Pajero Sport. Any chance you could post the wiring connections/wire colours for the reverse lamps you connected?

Regards,

Wanderer2

Comment

• simonbat
                          • Aug 2017
                          • Epping

Hi Wanderer2

Here is a link to the installation instructions for the tow bar and wiring loom.
                          On page 4 and 5 of the wiring loom instructions it shows you how to remove the rear light module and connect up the reversing light wire to the trailer patch. This patch should be a disconnected coiled up length of wire coming out of the ECU, this needs to be connected to the reverse light wire so that the reverse pin will work.

Once that had been done I ran two wires from the trailer socket to connect the lights.
                          Pin 2 Reverse Black
                          Pin 3 Earth White.

As others have mentioned this will not disable the reverse sensors, you have to press the button. But this stays disabled until you restart the car.

Simon.
                          Last edited by simonbat; 05-06-18, 03:19 PM.

Comment

• Matty_P
                            • May 2014
                            • Bayside Brisbane QLD

What brand of towbar is that .........HR?

Comment

• marlin1856
                              • Apr 2013
                              • Melbourne

Hi Wanderer2

Here is a link to the installation instructions for the tow bar and wiring loom.
                              On page 4 and 5 of the wiring loom instructions it shows you how to remove the rear light module and connect up the reversing light wire to the trailer patch. This patch should be a disconnected coiled up length of wire coming out of the ECU, this needs to be connected to the reverse light wire so that the reverse pin will work.

Once that had been done I ran two wires from the trailer socket to connect the lights.
                              Pin 2 Reverse Black
                              Pin 3 Earth White.

As others have mentioned this will not disable the reverse sensors, you have to press the button. But this stays disabled until you restart the car.

Simon.
                              Brilliant thank you ..... answers most of my questions
                              One other question I have is when my 6x4 trailer is attached and im in reverse the lane sensors lights are on permanently (the mirror lights)

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X