• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chrisall
    • Sep 2016
    • WA

Crankshaft Special Tool MD998769

I'm in the process of changing my timing belt and wanted to stick as close to the factory instructions as possible. The manual refers to using special tool MD998769 to turn the crankshaft. The tool looks like a spacer with a hole in it for the crank sprocket roll pin. There is also MD998716 called a crankshaft wrench.

Looking round Bunnings for a DIY alternative I came across these galvanised flanges that looked like they could be adapted:

The holes were slightly off for the roll pin, but a couple of minutes with the Dremel soon fixed that:

Next I put 2 flats on the centre boss with the angle grinder & cutting disc:

The boss was a tiny bit too short to get the spanner in, so used a sump washer as a spacer:

The end result, not the best looking tool in the box but does the job!

Cheers,
    2003 NP 3.5. Davies Craig tranny cooler, Dual battery, LED front fogs, Safari 'style' snorkel, LED reverse / work light, reverse cam, BushSkinz, LED interior lights, Joying android head unit, side steps, LED spotties, 17" steelies, bunny bar.
  • widgy
    • Sep 2013
    • Tassie

A few minutes work and a couple of dollars to replace a tool that would cost more than a couple of cartons of your favourite beverage. I have taken the time to make a few home made tools in the past saves $ and generally these things only ever get used once or twice

NH shorty gls factory rear locker suspension seats 32" MTZ's 2" body lift 2" suspension lift ,4M41 conversion ,top mount IC,TJM Winch Bar 12000lb winch Stedi 120watt light bar plus more to come

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
    Working...
    X