• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NTpadge
    • Oct 2011
    • Northern territory

4m40 bhg!!!!

hey all, my 4M40 has blown the head gasket! due to slightly incorrect injector pump timing. just to clarify injector timing is 1mm lift at 12 degrees ATDC?

so im wondering if there is a good engine conversion that maybe someone has done before? like 1hd ftv? or 1kd? other option is a 4m40 short motor....
    what do you think?
    damn you hilux surf DAMN YOU TO HELLLLLL
  • chutsy33
    • May 2008
    • Far NW Qld

Hi, not sure on the timing but unless you've damaged the engine just change the head gasket. Just make sure its all clean and it should last. I've had a couple of NJ 2.8t now and luv them. The one I have now I gave a re-ring and looking at the internals of the engine, wow, got some seriously strong gear in there. Crank journals are big, pistons are fully floating, big timing gears and double row tinmng chain. Lots of oil galleries. This a wet dream for big power petrol tuners and some of the strongest engine components I've seen outside heavy equiment diesel gear. Only thing that will kill one is old/no coolant, the heads are expensive and if you heat one up will warp ,can't be machined as they have ceramic inserts, or no regular oil changes as they will clog up the oil galleries and oil cooler.
    This shortcut is something I discovered when I re-ringed mine and it was pumping oil into the inlet of the turbo and intercooler. Its worth looking at and doesn't take long to do.

There is also a great thread about getting a bit more power out of them. I have done it and mine is way better than the old one.It was called '2.8l TD manual tuning ' and was in the Do it yourself projects section. Good luck

2007 NS VRX 3.2 Manual, 265/70/17 , 3' Scott Rods Exhaust, SPVi EGR Module, TJM Snorkle. 2008 ML triton 3.2 manual.

Comment

• NTpadge
      • Oct 2011
      • Northern territory

wow, do you have umm, facebook or msn? as it would be good to have your knowledge a bit more accessible. lol
      id like to know more about the head, as i was going to get it machined....
      damn you hilux surf DAMN YOU TO HELLLLLL

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
      Working...
      X