Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 4-4 Pajero

Generation 4-4 Pajero NX model 2014 -

Old 1 Day Ago

Default 2018 NX exceed stock steel protection and suspension

Hi all,

New to forum, new owner coming off a HZJ105 landcruiser to the new Exceed. Wife picked black even tho it will be the new outback offroad tourer...

Search the forums working out my offroad build, the suggestions are all bushskinz and boos underneath. Todays inspection reveals stock it has black steel full intercooler and sump guard, pretty good coverage and looks about 3mm at least. plastic only over the fuel tank and transmission is exposed. I havent seen any other comments about stock protection being steel, is this a new thing? i cant see any need to change it out unless someone knows something I dont?

Second question, to the eye she rides fairly high stock, ive got a TJM Outback bar being fitted and eventually a synthetic rope winch, I ve driven a GLS for years at work with a bar and winch on stock suspension, no real dramas, and ive read the other threads with various views. Im half inclined to leave it and see how she goes, depending on how much it dives after fitting. Maybe a set of coils and shocks just front end? I do sand, mud out the back of tibooburra through the flinders type touring, medium duty id say, but maybe a crack at the Simpson coming. I dont want anyone feeling to repeat other threads, just looking for some opinions, appreciate any replies.

Cheers

Last edited by nj swb; 1 Day Ago at 07:03 PM.
Old 1 Day Ago
Valued Member

As for original bash plates, the sump guard I'm pretty sure is plastic and the intercooler guard is 1mm folded and pressed steel. Both offer very little to no protection. The intercooler guard will bend in sand ruts especially when bouncing over lumpy bits of track. Mine did. For I think under $300 an upgrade to boos 3mm steel is a worthwhile investment, and for that you'll get intercooler, sump and transmission plates.
Also in sand at stock ride height the rear bumper is prone to scoop sand and tear the bumper to bits. Again boos do a rear protection plate which will stop the scoop effect but it's probably not going to hold up if you drop off a rock step and land on it. Slight suspension lift will help too to get the rear up a bit higher and also help to lift the front up to avoid the intercooler guard as in soft sand, the intercooler can get full of sand entering through the vents in the front of the plate.
With a winch and bar on the front , personally I'd go for a suspension job. If you're adding an aux battery under the bonnet then definitely.
You say it'll be an outback toured. So I'll assume it'll need to carry a load of some sort (either towing or in the car). If so then I reckon this is another reason to get a lift.
Hope that helps

2012 NW GLS Diesel Auto with:
ARB delux bar, full length Ocam ally roof rack with rear LED work light, dual batteries, DIY rear shelf with fridge slide, 2" lift oztec/kings, Polyairs, tigerz awning 2.5 x 2.0m with LED strip light, pair of genr8 40w LED spot/flood driving lights, iron man 4x4 22" LED light bar, mounted thumper compressor, LED interior lights, Boo Boo's bash plates, Safari snorkel and Grande mk lll 12000lb winch.
Old 1 Day Ago

Gday!

I also picked up an Exceed a month ago.

The intercooler is maybe 1mm or 2mm thick.
The sump IS plastic. I know so because I took it out.
The transmission guard is also 1 or 2mm or so.

What you see sticking out is the transfer case.

The OEM intercooler is 5kg
The OEM transmission cover is 4kg.
I didn't weigh the plastic.

The 4piece boo 4mm guards for Intercooler, Sump, Transmission and transfer case is 37kg before subtracting the bits that you need to remove (The OEM intercooler and OEM transmission cover and plastic sump cover I didn't weigh).

The boo 4mm bumper guard is 12kg.
The MM towbar is 24kg
The MM towbar hitch w/o ball is 5kg.

The OEM tie-down bar that you remove to replace with a towbar is 7kg

Interesting aspect is that right behind the plastic sump guard is some thingo that controls whether the front tyres get power or not. So you don't want to wack that!
Old 1 Day Ago

thanks Hatto, Oscaroo

Sump is definately steel on mine, yeah it might only be 2mm tho. Picked truck up this week. Got dual batts and the MM towbar, and note the sand scoop issue,
im not that switched to possible paj issues.

My prior LC was 3 lifted and very tall on 285/75s.
Touring we dont tow, its always been swags on the roof, an 80l engel in the back and bits and pieces for three kids and fuel n consumeables. So shes still fairly heavy in full family trim, boys trip away not so.

I put OME on the LC, again read the other threads about recommended suspensions, id do OME again but on a budget at the moment. Thanks for replys see what anyone else thinks.

stu
Old 1 Day Ago

Your sump guard is steel?
Mine's a May 2018 build NX Exceed, yours cant be too much newer.

I also thought it was steel, until I removed it.
Let me know how it goes and whether it is steel once you swap it out.
Old 1 Day Ago

Another top tip is to buy the boos from Ebay when they have the ebay 10% off sitewide sales.
Same for a catch can which everyone says you need, and now that I have one.. I haven't seem much more than two flegmy bits of oil in it in 200km of city driving.