Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 4-4 Pajero

Generation 4-4 Pajero NX model 2014 -

Old 3 Days Ago

Default Long range tank options

Hi guys, Iím after advice please,,,

Looking ahead to a Simpson trip next year Iím planning on getting a long range fuel tank installed very soon (read from my tax return)

The three options at this stage are:
  • ARB frontier - quoted $1946 fitted
  • the long ranger (Arb) sub tank - $2412 fitted
  • LRA (TJM) - $2270 fitted
All of these are plus fuel for testing I assume.

Given the additional capacities of 40l, 60l & 58l respectively what would you preferences be?

Are there any known issues with any of these?

Iím leaning toward the LRA tank at the moment based on larger capacity and $/L capacity.

Cheers
Anthony
Old 3 Days Ago
Valued Member

I have the LRA 58L aux tank which set me back about $1700 from memory. It was 3 years ago and I guess your location has something to do with the high quotes.

The downside is that it's extra weight directly over the back wheels and that can be an issue if you have rear draws, a fridge and are towing (adding ball weight). The rear axle can get above MM allowable load quickly if you have that set up. The upside is a lot of fuel capacity when you add the 88L of the original tank and I just pump fuel across as required.

The ARB replacement tank solves the issue of the extra weight being at the back but doesn't allow the same capacity. Ground clearance may be less but I'm not 100% sure on that.

So it really depends on your needs.
2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Peders Springs & EFS Shocks, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with Toyo OPAT AT2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S. Infinity caravan and a TVan Firetail.
Old 3 Days Ago

ouch... I had a look at various options recently as i tended to do a few long trips with the old LandRover and used Jerry cans, so this time around, in the NX, i thought i'd just get a long range tank and be done with it. For now I've decided that Im going to get a fuel bladder for the void under the boot floor where the third row seats normally sit. I have drawers fitted and the second battery is under the bonnet so really its space that I don't need. Fleximake in Dandenong Victoria make a fuel bladder for that space that holds 90 litres, for around the $300 mark i think. Doesn't work for everyone, but it'll do the job for me for those rare occasions..
2016 NX GLX. ARB bullbar, Safari snorkel, dual batteries, diesel prefilter, flashlube catch can, titan tray rack with foxwing awning and custom under awning lights, towbar, Drifta Drawers, Terrain Tamer suspension
Old 3 Days Ago

Yeah ouch... these prices are from Cairns... you donít even want to know about Weipa or anywhere more local!

My typical fit out is a fridge and bags in the boot plus a camper with 100-150kg ball weight (estimated), but looking for the range for next years trip without trying to squeeze jerries between the 2 kids.

Iíve got my compressor and recovery gear under the floor in the boot along with other things that live in the car, so while the bladder would be great, itíd mean finding somewhere else for those things.
Old 3 Days Ago
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant_schomacker View Post
Are there any known issues with any of these? Iím leaning toward the LRA tank at the moment based on larger capacity and $/L capacity.
I have had an LRA 58l tank on my vehicle for 3 years, very useful when doing a Simpson trip last year but I use it all the time so only have to fill up every 2 - 3 weeks. As Ian mentions it does put 60+ kgs past the rear axle when full, and does slightly reduce rear departure angle. The upside is it protects the leading edge of the rear bumper from becoming a sand scoop...

In the desert with full load and on other off trips I have bottomed out a few times, but you can see the strength of the construction of the tank so just some missing paint. The dual filler arrangement can be an issue with some diesel pumps at service stations requiring a little fiddling to get the right angle for the gun for non-stop filling.

Overall highly recommended.

Cheers,
Stephen
Old 3 Days Ago

With a bit of time up your sleeve, have a look on gumtree and wreckers.
A mate of mine picked up an LRA for an excellent price and in April I picked up a Long Ranger from a wrecker. Never know, you could be lucky
Just another option, that if it works out will more than halve the cost
Old 3 Days Ago
Valued Member

Long Ranger would be my choice of the 3. If you haven’t upgraded your suspension you will find it will sag in the rear with the weight.

I had an Outback Accessories sub tank on my NP. Hit it on the rocks a few times and it never failed, just a few dings and scrapes. Not sure if they do one to suit a Paj with rear AC though. One of the best Mods I did, and only cost $1000 (old clearance stock but still brand new, installed myself). Range was a safe 850km towing the 1.5t camper, approx 1200km not towing.
Old 3 Days Ago

To give one other perspective, I have the ARB replacement tank and I love it. I mostly tow a camper and didn't want the extra load behind the rear axle in addition to the tow ball load. Only issue is that it does reduce clearance by about 20mm. However, as noted it has the load mid axle and there aren't filling and pump issues to worry about or go wrong.