Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > General Info

General Info Pros and cons of different makes and models (incl. international)

Old 4 Days Ago
Valued Member

I think to 140+ comments posted on the you tube site sum it up!

OJ.
2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT245/75/16, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Nightbreaker +130LB & Phillips +100 HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
MM4x4 Lockup Mate.
Old 4 Days Ago
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Jack View Post
I think to 140+ comments posted on the you tube site sum it up!

OJ.
That was my point. Why would a reputable company do that?
Old 4 Days Ago

K&N by itself is a waste of money IMHO. Probably only filters out small rocks while emptying your wallet.
Any power increase (if at all) is probably equivalent to 1 ant power, all while possibly exposing the engine to more wear.
Old 4 Days Ago
Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithyv View Post
K&N by itself is a waste of money IMHO. Probably only filters out small rocks while emptying your wallet.
Any power increase (if at all) is probably equivalent to 1 ant power, all while possibly exposing the engine to more wear.
I put one in my Shorty (3 litre V6) after driving a friend's with one. It made me feel better, but whether it did any more than that, who can tell?

Some time later, somebody pointed me to a lab test report that indicated that quality paper filters outperform the K&N for filtration - but the K&N outperform for air flow, which I don't think any of us dispute. Both filters still captured a huge amount of dust in the test, but the K&N did let through significantly more than the best paper filters - but less than the worst paper filters.

For a vehicle that spends its entire life on bitumen, the difference in filtration is probably negligible. For vehicles that live in dusty environments, it's difficult to justify a K&N.

After reading the test report, I removed my K&N and installed a traditional paper filter for a Simpson crossing. On day 3 of the trip, dust was visible on the "clean" side of the filter, and I was too far from civilisation for a replacement.

That's why I now run a Donaldson Top-Spin on dirt roads - and lately, Donaldson paper filters.

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....
Old 4 Days Ago
Valued Member

Doesn't it just stand to reason that if a filter lets in more air, it has to let in larger particles ?
2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Peders Springs & EFS Shocks, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with Toyo OPAT AT2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S. Infinity caravan and a TVan Firetail.
Old 4 Days Ago
Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian H View Post
Doesn't it just stand to reason that if a filter lets in more air, it has to let in larger particles ?
That is undoubtedly the easiest way, but it's not the only way. The best paper filters will outperform on both fronts - better flow and better filtration. It's all about the quality of the filter media.

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....
Old 4 Days Ago
Valued Member

Most modern 4wds no longer use old fashioned pleated paper filters but use a synthetic filter medium. For me it is genuine factory filters only especially when my engine is still under warranty. Inspecting the down stream side of the factory air filter after the same Simpson trip as NJswb and there was no dust in the airbox and this is with the standard factory forward bonnet air intake and no snorkel.

OJ.
2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT245/75/16, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Nightbreaker +130LB & Phillips +100 HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
MM4x4 Lockup Mate.