X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • damo1
    • May 2010

Nulon oil.

Just wanted to make a mention of the oil i've just changed to.

Its a Nulon 20w50, and i think its really really good.

The engine seems quieter and the biggest thing is it doesnt blow a puff of smoke on start up and after idling for a period anymore.

And the leaky rocker covers seemed to have slowed to almost nothing.

My old v6 has 260thou on her and she has a new lease on life i recon.

Just my 2c
    GLX NH LWB V6 5 speed, GU springs , cranked tb's, GLS Flare + door moulds, bullbar (moded), 4x spotties, 2x cbs, side steps, camp light, custom snorkel, qtr chop, broken windscreen- and full of kids NNNNNNNNNNIIIIIIIIIICCCCCCCCCCEEEEEEEE!!!!
  • Pickle
    Administrator
    • Jun 2007
    • All over Oz

I used the Nulon Full Synthetic oil in mine for a while and was reasonably happy with it.
    Although having used only the Synthetic I believe most of their range is quality oil.
    Dave
    NX Pampas Cat GLS MY16
    Member 1228 Pajero Club

Comment

• 91Tourer
      • Jun 2010
      • Hunter Valley,NSW

I have also used Nulon in my Ng v6, in the motor, diffs, gearbox and transfer and does appear to be a good alround oil. Aussie made too?
      NP 3.8L V6 2004, Uniden Uhf, Electronic rust protection, ARB winch bar, Lightforce 240 blitz, Tigerz Grande winch with Dyneema rope, Snorkel,Bushskinz Underbody protection, Maxxis 771's, Ultimate Suspension 2" lift with airbagsTug for a GIC Offload camper

NG 3ltr V6 Fully rebuilt, 2" body lift, ARB roofcage now retired!

Comment

• osca4x4
        • Mar 2010
        • Deepwater NSW

i use nulon in the 2.5 aswell, the green bottle,good stuff.

Comment

• sprintman
          Valued Member
          • May 2010

How did you arrive at the conclusion it was 'good'?

Comment

• damo83
            • Jul 2010
            • Brisbane

Originally posted by sprintman View Post
            How did you arrive at the conclusion it was 'good'?
            Originally posted by damo1
            The engine seems quieter and the biggest thing is it doesnt blow a puff of smoke on start up and after idling for a period anymore.

And the leaky rocker covers seemed to have slowed to almost nothing.
            Read the original post... and its not 'good', its 'really really good'
            *** FOR SALE *** 2000 NM Exceed 3.5l V6 Manual... Lovells 2" SD coils and Lovells shocks/struts... Polyairs... 265/75/16 Goodyear Duratrac... Dual Battery System... Bushskinz intercooler and sump guards

Comment

• schnitzel
              Valued Member
              • Dec 2009
              • Bendigo

Originally posted by damo83 View Post
              Read the original post... and its not 'good', its 'really really good'
              Sorry but i agree with sprintman, that is not actually a sign that the oil is good, you are only masking issues not fixing anything. A 20 w 50 is to heavy an oil for the 3.5l and in the long run causes more problems than it covers in the short term.

The old days of putting a thicker oil in to older motors is no longer valid, technology in both oils and motors has long passed that thinking. ( dont panic i am not having a go and am glad you brought it up, many mechanics and backyarders still think that way, but most are slowly starting to understand through things like this forum).
              Ever wondered why oils are getting to much lower viscosities than the old days it is because they are also important in the cooling and emissions side of things. The thicker oil will make your engine run hotter and with greater wear, it will however not appear on your temperature guage as it is not accurate enough to record it but it does happen, will also increase your emissions and probably like most 20 w 50 is probably not rated for catalytic convertors so has potential to eventually cause that to fail. There is a whole lot more to oil than just the viscosity and most people cant get it, I deal with it for a living and realize each day how much I dont know, so dont know how everyone else can understand it all.

My 3.5l started puffing smoke on start up at about 250000k, was still doing it at 612000 when i pulled it out to replace it.
              Current vehicles: 2017 Toyota Hilux, 2022 Hyundai Kona,2022 VW T-Cross1995 3.5l nj Pajero , 1995 2.8td Mitsubishi Delica,2011 , 2 x 1971 ta 22 celicas, 74 ta 22 celica, ke 35 corollla with 18rg, 95 gtr 1000, 79 leyland terrier bus ( 350 chev),1978 ke 35 corolla, 1980 ra 40 celica 18rgeu,2011 agricat jd495,chamberlain g6 plus a few other odds and ends

Comment

• sprintman
                Valued Member
                • May 2010

20W50 is good if you like to change engines a lot earlier than you should. And seriously get a UOA on the Nulon and see how it really did it's job. It isn't xpensive.

Comment

• schnitzel
                  Valued Member
                  • Dec 2009
                  • Bendigo

UOA ( used oil analysis kits) cost about the same as 5l of Good quality oil and i.e. under $50 if anyone is interested.I have the kits in stock and can post at cost for anyone interested.
                  Current vehicles: 2017 Toyota Hilux, 2022 Hyundai Kona,2022 VW T-Cross1995 3.5l nj Pajero , 1995 2.8td Mitsubishi Delica,2011 , 2 x 1971 ta 22 celicas, 74 ta 22 celica, ke 35 corollla with 18rg, 95 gtr 1000, 79 leyland terrier bus ( 350 chev),1978 ke 35 corolla, 1980 ra 40 celica 18rgeu,2011 agricat jd495,chamberlain g6 plus a few other odds and ends

Comment

• Richo-NT
                    Valued Member
                    • Jun 2009
                    • Brisbane

I don't think 20W-50 is that bad, a lot of older cars came from the factory with that weight of oil specified. Yes a lot of more modern engines have been engingeered to finer tolerances and as such require a lighter oil, but just because new engines are like that, doesn't mean old engines retrospectively change what they require out of oil!

Go put 0W-40 fully synthetic in an old 3L Toyota diesel engine and you won't have any oil left in it after 5,000km as it will have all burned off!

Not all engines are the same and as such not all engines require light weight oil, some engines DO require a heavier oil, but I probably shouldn't bother defending damo1 too much because I'll probably just end up being told i'm wrong too.....
                    2009 NT Pajero GLX 3.2 Auto - Sold

Comment

• sprintman
                      Valued Member
                      • May 2010

Correct tolerances have changed, clearances have not. And 20W50 has no place in an engine today, if it's using oil fix the problem. Our 2000 Outback runs 5W30 (168,000 kms) and the NM Pajero 3.5 petrol (130,000 kms) will use 0W30 or 0W20 when the engine clean is finished. UOA will check how well it's doing.

Comment

• schnitzel
                        Valued Member
                        • Dec 2009
                        • Bendigo

Originally posted by Richo-NT View Post
                        I don't think 20W-50 is that bad, a lot of older cars came from the factory with that weight of oil specified. Yes a lot of more modern engines have been engingeered to finer tolerances and as such require a lighter oil, but just because new engines are like that, doesn't mean old engines retrospectively change what they require out of oil!

Go put 0W-40 fully synthetic in an old 3L Toyota diesel engine and you won't have any oil left in it after 5,000km as it will have all burned off!

Not all engines are the same and as such not all engines require light weight oil, some engines DO require a heavier oil, but I probably shouldn't bother defending damo1 too much because I'll probably just end up being told i'm wrong too.....
                        Correct the ow 40 is no good for an old 3l Toyota, motor was never designed for that oil, same as it is not designed for a Mitsubishi 4m40, it is however designed for a BMW diesel. Oils are for specific applications, the later versions of 20w 50 are great in the older technology 12 valve 3l pajero motors but not the newer technology 24 v 3 and 3.5 l pajero motors. Really is a case of using the correct oil for each type of motor. All sprintman and i are saying is the old myths about oil are only that, myths, to get the most out of both vehicle and oil people need to start understanding the rules on oil are changing, as technology has changed so the properties of oils have changed to cope with these changes.

As an example had a customer of mine come in a couple of years ago complaining about his 2 year old ford tractor blowing smoke and acting as if it had a glazed bore, now I did not even know he had a new tractor , he merely rang up and ordered drums of oil and I delivered as per his order. Anyway he was putting a mono grade 30 oil in this tractor as it was a Ford tractor and that is what he used in his 6 other ford tractors. On pulling motor down the dealer refused the warranty claim because it had glazed the bores due to using the wrong oil, had also damaged the emission system and turned into a very expensive lesson . To make it worse this guy also runs 3 trucks and when he had updated them he did ask about the oil and we put him on to a euro spec 4 oil and he head a great run in the trucks with it. Silly point was this was exactly the same oil he should have been using in his new tractor ( and has been since he rebuilt the motor). Turns out even though it was a ford tractor, it was actually running a lamborghini turbo diesel, was just badged as a ford.
                        assumption and relying on past ways of thinking can be expensive lessons, in this guys case nearly 40 grand expensive.

People have every right to do what they feel is right but hopefully we can all share knowledge for the benefit of all.

Comment

• schnitzel
                          Valued Member
                          • Dec 2009
                          • Bendigo

Originally posted by damo83
                          I never said the reasons were right I just thought it was fairly obvious what the OP's reasons were.
                          Hi Damo, am not having a go at anyone and agree totally you are entitled to your view and I respect your right to that view. I hope i am not seen as attacking anyone in this or any other thread, I am just happy to share the knowledge I have gained in my work with people on this forum. It is still up to each and everyone of us to make our own call on it. I try to back up what i am saying with some of the experiences I have encountered in dealing with oil, and please if anyone thinks I am attacking them , tell me as it is not my intention to do that. . There are many, many topics where I bow to other peoples greater knowledge, and surprisingly taipan, I am looking for 2 reasonably priced general purpose pressure washers at the moment and would be happy to hear of any opinions you have on something in the $200 to $500 range.

Would also note I have never met sprintman and have no connection with him other than some threads on this forum, and some on another one he also frequents of which I am a member, dont always agree with his view, but sometimes I do. Again he is entitled to his view but i do find sometimes he oversteps he mark with some of his personal comments.

Comment

• Pickle
                            Administrator
                            • Jun 2007
                            • All over Oz

I can and I will delete the whole thread if it doesn't get back on track.
                            Now lets see if we can keep it civil please.
                            Dave
                            NX Pampas Cat GLS MY16
                            Member 1228 Pajero Club

Comment

• Pickle
                              Administrator
                              • Jun 2007
                              • All over Oz

Locked, whilst I am on a flight home. Will have another read of the thread back in Melb to see if I can declare a winner
                              Dave
                              NX Pampas Cat GLS MY16
                              Member 1228 Pajero Club

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X