• Show
Clear All
  • cheezel
    • Aug 2018
    • Victoria

Cargo barrier: autosafe vs genuine vs milford

Hi,

Sorry if this has been done to death..

2014 NW pajero, vrx (with curtain airbags).
    - I Need to buy a barrier.

I've been quoted:
    Local MM dealer - $900 supply and install. (2hrs labor so $700 supply only.. but they were not keen on that, unsure if possible)

Roo rack superstore:
    Autosafe $611 and if you wanted us to install it would be $80 ontop
    @*$#
    Milford you are looking at $609 but fitting is $250 for the Milford
    @*$#
    I was thinking Autosafe as they look a bit better IMO, provide a little more room so bend in at the top a bit (something someone else posted here) and are cheaper.

Super interested pls in opinions:
    1. Is the autosafe a tool free removal process? I believe the milford/MM is?
    2. Is the MM/Milford better in regards to curtain airbags, as it leaves more room above passenger door? (Read somewhere this was possibly why they left more space above seats etc)
    3. Anything else?

I'd be more than happy to fit a 2nd hand one if I could find one.
    -if anybody knows of any in (central) vic?

My cousin's husband is a welder/boilermaker.
    - I trust his welding skills (more than mine).
    -- are there any issues in making something yourself? I've seen a few members have, just curious if any legalities in doing so (vic).

Love to hear opinions on what people have.

Much obliged, Chris.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
  • cheezel
    • Aug 2018
    • Victoria

Originally posted by cheezel View Post
    @*$#
    Btw - this is some sort of copy/paste formatting error. Sort of looks like "angry" but I can assure that it's not.
    - I don't seem to be able to edit the post via tapatalk to remove, cheers.

Also, install cost to me is irrelevant as I'll do it myself etc.

Cheers [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Comment

• Garc
      • May 2015
      • Perth

I bought and installed the Autosafe one in my NS. The only tricky part of the install is getting under the vehicle to put nuts on the larger bolts bored out through the existing floor bolt holes. Needs two people, one under and one in the car and getting the nuts on is a tight fit - I used blue tack to hold the nut into a socket to get it up there. Once these are in the barrier mounts onto these brackets so removal is all done from inside the car - 4 bolts. I can remove in about 15 minutes.
      Gary

2008 NS DiD Exceed. MM factory alloy full bar, Autosafe cargo barrier, Roley's rear bash plate, Uniden 8080 UHF, Kings 120A lithium battery in rear cargo area, Renogy DCDC charger, fire ext mounted in place of rear door handle, Redarc EBC, BushSkinz IC & sump. ARB Frontier replacement fuel tank, Pedders track rider suspension. Lockup Mate.

Comment

• Wazza999
        • Jun 2018
        • Canberra

I purchased the Autosafe version from 4wdsystems in Adelaide, $398 plus freight to Cbr, ended up slightly less than $430. Took a couple of weeks from order. You do need prehensile fingers and assistance to fit the nut and washer underneath and connect the bolt going through the drilled out tie down point. It sits on top of a channel that holds the captive nut for the tie-down. Presumably this is crushed down. Instructions suggest using silicone on the nut/washer. Some fixing would be necessary otherwise it would just fall off when removing the barrier. You would also need to refit the bolt after barrier removal. (I wonder if it will just tear the silicon anyway?) Similar fitting system on my Patrol actually held the washer and nut in place inside the mudguard with screws but this would not be possible with the Pajero. Otherwise simple to install.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Comment

• Garc
          • May 2015
          • Perth

One my barrier the bolt through the floor holds down a Z bracket inside the car. The barrier then bolts to this so no need to go under the car again to remove the barrier. Only reason the go under would be to remove the bracket.
          Gary

2008 NS DiD Exceed. MM factory alloy full bar, Autosafe cargo barrier, Roley's rear bash plate, Uniden 8080 UHF, Kings 120A lithium battery in rear cargo area, Renogy DCDC charger, fire ext mounted in place of rear door handle, Redarc EBC, BushSkinz IC & sump. ARB Frontier replacement fuel tank, Pedders track rider suspension. Lockup Mate.

Comment

• Wazza999
            • Jun 2018
            • Canberra

Originally posted by Garc View Post
            One my barrier the bolt through the floor holds down a Z bracket inside the car. The barrier then bolts to this so no need to go under the car again to remove the barrier. Only reason the go under would be to remove the bracket.
            I have not removed the barrier since fitting a few weeks ago but was thinking the bracket may need to be removed if the third row of seats are refitted and used, also if the bracket was going to foul a load e.g. carrying a table upside down. Autosafe fitting instructions do recommend silicon on the nut washer combination which would also be helpful to keep dust or water out if the original captive nut channel does not flatten.

Comment

• oscaroo
              • Dec 2017
              • Sydney

I have this one

It's a half cargo barrier.

Comment

• Renna
                • Sep 2019
                • Melbourne

I am just in the final stages of pulling the trigger on a cargo barrier.

I have been quoted $608 for an Autosafe plus $150 for fitting. $611 for a Milford plus $300 fitting!

The best explanation I could get for the more pricey install was that Autosafe used existing fixtures and Milford install was more tricky.

I have a number of considerations with the barrier;

I will need to utilize 2 child restraint points. I would also like to drop in a false floor and a single set of drawers (on the side I don't need the child seat).

Has anyone got any thoughts on the best way to go or have done a similar set up?

To say that the placement of the child restraint anchor points is inconvenient is an understatement but unfortunately I will need them for a number of years to come.
                2015 NX Exceed, ARB Deluxe Bar, 8.5 Kings Laser Spotties, Rhino platform, HPD catch can.

Comment

• Scrambler
                  • Jul 2018
                  • Toowoomba, Qld

Originally posted by Renna View Post
                  I am just in the final stages of pulling the trigger on a cargo barrier.

I have been quoted $608 for an Autosafe plus $150 for fitting. $611 for a Milford plus $300 fitting!

The best explanation I could get for the more pricey install was that Autosafe used existing fixtures and Milford install was more tricky.

I have a number of considerations with the barrier;

I will need to utilize 2 child restraint points. I would also like to drop in a false floor and a single set of drawers (on the side I don't need the child seat).

Has anyone got any thoughts on the best way to go or have done a similar set up?

To say that the placement of the child restraint anchor points is inconvenient is an understatement but unfortunately I will need them for a number of years to come.
                  I can't say I know where the anchor points in these are - I own an older one and they are roof height there, which is second only to the seat back versions.

But look on the bright side - I used to own a Land Rover Defender - had to install the mount points for it myself (proper aftermarket fitment).

And with that in mind, I would be surprised if you could not still get a CRAB (Child Restraint Accessory Bar) for certified installation. If this gets you a better placement of the anchors, it could be worth it.

In the Defender, the bar ran right behind the cargo barrier, which was itself right behind the seats. Very convenient, basically lost no storage space. Could also be fitted in other, less convenient, locations from the rear door to the wheel arches. Depending on your drawer design, even the wheel arches could work for you.
                  =-( Sadly bought back: 99 NL Shortie. In a-peeling blue
                  =-) Happily replaced by: 98 NL LWB Diesel

Comment

• Pajshomoneroguntero
                    Valued Member
                    • Jul 2013
                    • Sydney

A link to the post in my build thread: https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum...4&postcount=27. Might give you some ideas.

Given the simplicity of install I wouldn't (read didn't) spend money to get it installed. I had a Milford in my old NJ and the attachment of the top anchor to the grab handle was slightly more involved but again nothing overly complex.

The floor anchor for the Autosafe uses the cargo tie-downs. The child anchors are not used. Agree though that they are in an inconvenient position but although they would better suit me to be 50-100 further forward or better yet on the back of the seat, it's still better than having them on the roof over the door which would effectively cut the cargo volume in half. The CRAB may be the way to go but I'd expect that it wouldn't necessarily result in a more convenient positioning.
                    NX GLS MY16 Auto: MM Towbar | Spare Lift Kit | Cooper ST MAXX 265/65R17 | SPVi Module mk3.1 | Autosafe Half Cargo Barrier | Torque Pro App | Donaldson 3um 2ndry Fuel Filter | Diff Breathers | GME4500 UHF | Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform | Roley's Rear Bash Plate | Bushskinz Underbody Protection | Airtec Snorkel | Onboard Compressor | Awning | ARB Deluxe Bar | Lightbar | Sherpa4x4 Winch | Bushskinz Sidesteps | Masten TPMS

Build Thread

Comment

• Pushbike
                      • Jun 2017
                      • Sydney

Something to think about, the Pajero (NX) handbook states boldly and in several places that child restraint load points are not to be used for securing any other type of load.
                      quote "Child restraint anchorages are designed to withstand only those loads imposed by correctly fitted child restraints. Under no circumstances are they to be used for adult seat belts, harnesses or for attaching other items or equipment to the vehicle."

Suppose you used the anchorage for securing a load contrary to the above directive and then subsequently a child's seat used this same anchor point and later it failed.
                      Last edited by Pushbike; 11-05-20, 09:15 AM. Reason: further explanation. Punctuation
                      Pajero NX GLX MY17, OEM Rubber mats, OEM Towbar and tongue, After market Rev. Sensors, MSA4x4 seat covers, OEM nudge bar.

Remember the science demonstration of a table covered with mouse traps loaded with ping pong balls and the teacher drops a ping pong ball into the middle.
                      Well, the ball has been dropped.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X