• Show
Clear All
  • sharkcaver
    "2000"+ Valued Contributor
    • May 2009
    • Perth

Australia's most remote geocache

What an absolute mission in the most inhospitable, arid country there is:

But I have the smilie. Only the 3rd person in 15 years!
    MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys
  • geopaj
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2007
    • Adelaide

Well done and great video.
    Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')

Comment

• littleriver
      Valued Member
      • Jan 2013
      • Queensland

Awesomeness.. well done
      .. great find ...

2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) Safari Snorkel, OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch light bar on ECB Nudge bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T (116S), Uniden Dash cam, Oricom 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Comment

• sharkcaver
        • May 2009
        • Perth

Thanks fella's.

The full version is good to go....... 30 minutes of me telling you my feet hurt

MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• KiwiNTPajero
          Valued Member
          • Aug 2014
          • Wellington,New Zealand

well done ( i already commented on the trailer video as pas4591) As a young fella we had to do 50 ks over a 48 hour period with packs.We were walking rugged old forestry roads and tracks.Even as a young fit fella who did a lot of tramping , that was one of the hardest things i have ever one
          2009 NT GLS(NZ) diesel LWB auto
          BFG AT,Rhino Rack Vortex Bars,Foxwing Eco Awning,BUSHSKINZ I/C, sump guards and steps

"do not check the button for faster communication, this will throw a wobbly with some dongles"

Comment

• sharkcaver
            • May 2009
            • Perth

Originally posted by KiwiNTPajero View Post
            well done ( i already commented on the trailer video as pas4591) As a young fella we had to do 50 ks over a 48 hour period with packs.We were walking rugged old forestry roads and tracks.Even as a young fit fella who did a lot of tramping , that was one of the hardest things i have ever one
            I appreciate the comment. Thanks for letting me know it belongs to you , That means a lot.

My Journeys

Comment

• sharkcaver
              • May 2009
              • Perth

The story behind the video:

May 20-21, 2018 let me tell you a story. A story 10 years in the making. Back in 2009 when I took possession of my first handheld GPS, I...

My Journeys

Comment

• Onslow
                Valued Member
                • Aug 2007
                • Perth, Western Australia

Absolutely brilliant Sharkcaver! I have done something similar over four days in similar terrain and in summer - I know exactly what you went through, both physically and mentally. To do it on your own added another perspective altogether! Total respect mate, and what a fantastic account of the adventure too. Thanks for sharing it.
                NOW SOLD: NW MY2014 VRX 3.2 Diesel Auto, Rhino Rack Roof Rack, Sandgrabber Floor Mats, Safari Snorkel, Warn XP9.5S Winch, ARB Bull Bar, Bushskinz Underbody Protection, Lovells HD Springs, Bilstein Shocks, Firestone Airbags, Off Road Systems Rear Shelf, Boab 40Lt Water Tank, Cooper LT265/65x17 ST-Maxx Tyres, Uniden 7760 UHF Radio, LRA 58LT Long Range Tank, ARB Intensity Spotlights, Redarc BCDC Dual Battery System, Taipan XP 3in Exhaust System, Recaro Seats.

Comment

• sharkcaver
                  • May 2009
                  • Perth

Thanks mate, my feet appreciate that

My Journeys

Comment

• Pajshomoneroguntero
                    Valued Member
                    • Jul 2013
                    • Sydney

Well done 'Caver!

I get the feeling that Ayden would have known $hit all about the cache if you hadn't stirred the pot so to speak.
                    NX GLS MY16 Auto: MM Towbar | Spare Lift Kit | Cooper ST MAXX 265/65R17 | SPVi Module mk3.1 | Autosafe Half Cargo Barrier | Torque Pro App | Donaldson 3um 2ndry Fuel Filter | Diff Breathers | GME4500 UHF | Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform | Roley's Rear Bash Plate | Bushskinz Underbody Protection | Airtec Snorkel | Onboard Compressor | Awning | ARB Deluxe Bar | Lightbar | Sherpa4x4 Winch | Bushskinz Sidesteps | Masten TPMS

Build Thread

Comment

• sharkcaver
                      • May 2009
                      • Perth

Originally posted by Pajshomoneroguntero View Post
                      Well done 'Caver!

I get the feeling that Ayden would have known $hit all about the cache if you hadn't stirred the pot so to speak.
                      Thanks mate. I had the same feeling. Mind you, if he hadn't, I would have had a 15 year old bottle of brut to swill

I'm still I'm more than happy with 3rd to find, 1st on foot. It was tough. What one does for Cognac......

My Journeys

Comment

• kerway
                        • Aug 2010
                        • North West Sydney

Seriously well done Sir

What you have done is something that will live with you forever and you will be and should be always proud of.
                        You certainly set yourself a challenge and conquered it. By doing it on foot, it's definitely more of an achievement than arriving in a car or motorbike.

Thanks for sharing. Enjoy your cognac
                        NW CoolSilver with things bolted on it. Some better than others

Comment

• KiwiNTPajero
                          Valued Member
                          • Aug 2014
                          • Wellington,New Zealand

at 75 you better go and get that bottle you left there!
                          2009 NT GLS(NZ) diesel LWB auto
                          BFG AT,Rhino Rack Vortex Bars,Foxwing Eco Awning,BUSHSKINZ I/C, sump guards and steps

"do not check the button for faster communication, this will throw a wobbly with some dongles"

Comment

• Aspey
                            • Dec 2015
                            • Great Southern Land

Well done that was a big effort, it would have been a real adventure. I like the boonie hat. Not sure if you had them but gaiters are good insurance against snake bite. Also the soft plastic water cantene's (eg: Nalgene) are handy for hiking and as a backup incase your main container leaks or is lost.
                            NP VRX DID

Comment

• sharkcaver
                              • May 2009
                              • Perth

Originally posted by KiwiNTPajero View Post
                              at 75 you better go and get that bottle you left there!
                              Love it.....

Well done that was a big effort, it would have been a real adventure. I like the boonie hat. Not sure if you had them but gaiters are good insurance against snake bite. Also the soft plastic water cantene's (eg: Nalgene) are handy for hiking and as a backup incase your main container leaks or is lost.
                              Cheers. I love my boonie......I'm surprised no one has mentioned my "silly" hat yet (again).

Yep, I had gaiters packed, not shin high ones though, just anklets.. How effective they would have been against snake bite, I didn't want to test to find out.

At the end of the day, hanging a 2L water reserve in a tree at the PNR (mid point) wouldn't have been hard to do, no matter what the vessel. I just never thought of it. That last 6.5Km on the first day, and camp that night is where I blew my rations from planned. Never mind, the 4 hours in the morning back to camp was quite cool, so the risk factor was reduced considerably.

I guess we all learn how to do things better, the best teacher is experience. there are some things you can't learn from books. Experience is one of them.

My Journeys

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X