• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • letsgoplaces
    • Jul 2014
    • Adelaide

Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post
    The Pajero filter is 10 micron. You are going to install a 3 micron. Naturally this will have some effect on the flow of your fuel. If you leave the 10 micron in place and add nothing else, everything under 10 micron goes to your pump and injectors. Replacing the 10 with a 3 micron means everything above 3 micron will be caught by filter. Effectively you have created a filter that is going to clog up a darn site quicker than the original. You only have to look at the cut away photos of our filters to realise the 3 micron is far more clogged than the 10 micron. The addition of the second filter improves the total surface area that is filtering the fuel. As you say cost is not a factor ..so why not add the second filter which has a water trap/clear bowl and easy to see. Using just a single 3 micron filter with the same surface area of filtration will cause flow and pressure issues at some time (IMHO). would clog up a lot quicker and require changing more frequently. As the Donaldson set up is cheap, safe and easy to maintain I,d stick with it.
    Originally posted by Hill View Post
    Water and dirt are the killers of CRD.

Let focus on water for a few minutes.

Having a secondary filter and using your factory filter as primary is the way to go for water separation. This gives you a double chance of filtering out water before it reaches your injectors and pump.

Factory water indicator light should come on before your secondary filter bowl fills and passes water to your injection system.

This is why I like a duel filter process

Daily inspection of filter bowls for water when not using regular fuel supplier can be a useful.

Hill
    I completely agree that the two filter set up is the best, but I am struggling to find spot for the second filter.
    I have a snorkel and dual batteries. The aux runs east/west along the firewall and the starter is in it's north/south position but is also a larger battery.
    I can't move the aux battery to the third row seat well, as I need the seat in sometimes.
    Has anyone overcome this? Any suggestions are welcome

Comment

• dbdb
      • Aug 2008
      • Adelaide Hills

My Donaldson filter is mounted on my auxiliary tray which runs east/west. It's cosy but it works
      14 NW GLX-R automatic, dual battery, Icom 440 UHF, redarc tow pro, Bushskinz bash plates, light bar, Dobinsons suspension, HPD front mount intercooler, ARB bull bar and other stuff.
      04 NP GLX now gone

Pajero Service Manual link

Comment

• Dicko1
        Valued Member
        • Dec 2014
        • Cairns, FNQ

My aux batteries are in rear tub so I cant really help. I know with the aux battery and snorkel the engine bay is fairly tight for room.
        Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• letsgoplaces
          • Jul 2014
          • Adelaide

Originally posted by dbdb View Post
          My Donaldson filter is mounted on my auxiliary tray which runs east/west. It's cosy but it works
          Thanks. I'll have a look at that as an option

Cheers

Comment

• Dicko1
            Valued Member
            • Dec 2014
            • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by NJV6 View Post
            I have a semi relevant question, I have just replaced the genuine parts fuel filter with a ryco 699 which has a nominal rating of 4-5micron(depending what you read). I also have a 3 micron Donaldson as a secondary, it seems a bit silly to have the two filters so similar - should I have got a genuine parts one that that is rated at maybe 10 mircon?
            In any multiple sorting operation it is normal for the larger parts to be removed first. You will probably find that the main filter will collect a lot more debris than the original and that the secondary will not collect as much as in a system with a 10micron primary. I,d drive the car as normal and just keep an eye on its performance. If in 6 months or longer it seems that it is not performing as normal it could be a fuel flow restriction. If all the fuel that goes in is nice and clean then maybe you will get 12 months easily. Lot of variables but in reality it should be ok....
            Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• ticky
              Valued Member
              • Jan 2015
              • Adelaide

Im with Vlad,

Go Donaldson for Primary and Secondary. And as Vlad said, Hitachi Earth Moving Equip at Pooraka is the best place in Adelaide to buy your kits.

Donaldson do a OIL AIR & Fuel Service Kit X902845
              & a Secondary Fuel Kit P551615 which comes with a spare secondary filter P903316

Steve
              2009 NT VRX, Rear Battery Pack, 18" Bridgestone D-697, SPVi EGR mod, BushSkinz Intercooler & Sump Plates. BOO's Transmission & Transfer Case Plates. GME 3550, HID HB's and 22"LED Bar, Pioneer Avic F80DAB Audio/Coms/Nav system MM4x4 TC Lockup Mate. & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Pretty Stock but very Capable

Wish List: ARB Deluxe Bar & Winch, Snorkel, Diff Breathers, & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
              Working...
              X