• Show
Clear All
  • Pajshomoneroguntero
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2013
    • Sydney

Secondary fuel filter is now installed!

Made up a bracket using the fine ideas from this thread

I added the extra support fixed to both of those bolts just sitting there in the firewall. The extra support is just that make-a-bracket stuff from Bunnings. I primed it and hit it with a couple of coats of white enamel. I didn't cut the excess bracket off below the firewall bolts. Currently it isn't in the way and I may have a use to use the extra as a mounting or fix point for something else - probably an on-board compressor or at least a point to fix a bracket for an on-board compressor.

The install wasn't without a minor drama either. The factory fuel filter bracket stud into the firewall thread was a bit dicky toward the top. Consequently I managed to cross thread the stud and needed to re-cut the thread. I did the nut as well. Annoying and now I own a 40pc tap and die set

I sealed the barb connectors on the filter bracket with a liquid thread sealer. I was quite particular to avoid any contamination and using thread seal tape is a potential contaminate if any was to come free after the filters. The adventure with re-cutting the thread on the stud I mentioned above also served to introduce fine swarf into the workplace. I pumped a bit of fuel to waste after priming as a flush. I also washed the aluminium filter bracket with kerosene and blew it out with compressed air prior to installation. I did note that when installing the barbs the aluminium threads get ground a bit leaving a potential contaminant - hence the fuel flush.

Priming was easier than expected. I was contemplating adding fuel to the filter first but I don't have any on hand. My thoughts were to use the primer and fill the new filter from the outlet of the factory filter then screw into place and attach the fuel line. Glad I didn't as it was maybe 40 pumps before fuel at the outlet. There was a bit of air in the line after the second filter (Donaldson) by virtue of connecting the outlet to the existing factory fuel line. I just pumped with the bleed open. It didn't really work as fuel came out before any air so I closed the bleed and pumped until the plunger got hard to move. No issues when I started it at all.

I touched on it briefly above but I installed the filter as a secondary. I don't see much point to placing a 3um filter before a 10um and I get the water warning with another line of defence after any event triggering it.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Pajshomoneroguntero; 06-03-16, 08:29 AM. Reason: Reattach pics
    NX GLS MY16 Auto: MM Towbar | Spare Lift Kit | Cooper ST MAXX 265/65R17 | SPVi Module mk3.1 | Autosafe Half Cargo Barrier | Torque Pro App | Donaldson 3um 2ndry Fuel Filter | Diff Breathers | GME4500 UHF | Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform | Roley's Rear Bash Plate | Bushskinz Underbody Protection | Airtec Snorkel | Onboard Compressor | Awning | ARB Deluxe Bar | Lightbar | Sherpa4x4 Winch | Bushskinz Sidesteps | Masten TPMS

Build Thread

Comment

• Pajshomoneroguntero
      Valued Member
      • Jul 2013
      • Sydney

Just re-attached all pics that were lost in the server move.
      NX GLS MY16 Auto: MM Towbar | Spare Lift Kit | Cooper ST MAXX 265/65R17 | SPVi Module mk3.1 | Autosafe Half Cargo Barrier | Torque Pro App | Donaldson 3um 2ndry Fuel Filter | Diff Breathers | GME4500 UHF | Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform | Roley's Rear Bash Plate | Bushskinz Underbody Protection | Airtec Snorkel | Onboard Compressor | Awning | ARB Deluxe Bar | Lightbar | Sherpa4x4 Winch | Bushskinz Sidesteps | Masten TPMS

Build Thread

Comment

• Tingles
        • Sep 2011
        • Adelaide

Originally posted by Pajshomoneroguntero View Post
        Plenty of good reviews for a start. Value is another, the BFG's are about $200 a tyre more. Coopers have a large advertising campaign which tends to make me question the product closely. Unfortunately for them one of the tyre guys I spoke to didn't rate them at least for the cost vs performance.
        I have the coopers AT3s (17") on my NT GLX. Can't speak highly enough. Expensive but I've done 80,000+ kms so far and I reckon they are good for another 20!

Upgrading to an NX soon - need to look at 18" rubber options now
        MY16 NX GLX, TJM steel bull bar, XGS suspension, Bridgestone Dueller 265/60x18LT, LRA 58L auxillary tank, 100aH dual battery with DC/DC charger, Rhino roof tracks and Pioneer platform, LightForce 180 Gen II LEDs, Cavalier camper trailer

Comment

• sharkcaver
          "2000"+ Valued Contributor
          • May 2009
          • Perth

Originally posted by Tingles View Post
          I have the coopers AT3s (17") on my NT GLX.

Swap the rims over. You wont regret it.
          MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• Pajshomoneroguntero
            Valued Member
            • Jul 2013
            • Sydney

Originally posted by Tingles View Post
            I have the coopers AT3s (17") on my NT GLX. Can't speak highly enough. Expensive but I've done 80,000+ kms so far and I reckon they are good for another 20!

Originally posted by sharkcaver View Post
            Swap the rims over. You wont regret it.
            Yeah, given the option I'd be keeping the 17"s. That's pretty good wear out of the Coopers. I was only quoting what I was told during a discussion with the tyre guy. Keep in mind that the same guy was saying that LTs are overkill given the modern tyre construction. I don't think he drives an off road vehicle off road on remote roads.

Build Thread

Comment

• Pajshomoneroguntero
              Valued Member
              • Jul 2013
              • Sydney

For posterity I forgot to post the EGR mod. Got it a few weeks ago now - SPV Industries EGR mod 3.1v.

Torque pro indicates 0% open under all conditions - no check engine lights or run-on on shutdown issues to report.

Build Thread

Comment

• Pajshomoneroguntero
                Valued Member
                • Jul 2013
                • Sydney

I modded the bluetooth dongle I have, a Konnwei 902, to include a power switch.

When I first got it it worked as advertised ie would self-shutdown after about 30 minutes. You wake it up with a push of the power button on the unit. Stopped working (the auto power off) virtually straight away. I got a couple of 30cm OBD connectors so that I wouldn't be continually wearing the factory OBD connection but this setup wasn't really ideal either with a cumbersome cable draped over the centre console.

I decided to add a switch to the unit. Once opening the dongle it appeared a very simple task to add a small switch in series from pin 16 to the PCB. I decided the best place to mount the switch was right in the middle of the cover as it was the place that assured the most space for the switch when the cover is closed. It would probably be better to source a smaller or lower profile switch but the one I used just worked an I had it on hand.

Last edited by Pajshomoneroguntero; 19-10-20, 11:56 PM. Reason: Image host changed

Build Thread

Comment

• Pajshomoneroguntero
                  Valued Member
                  • Jul 2013
                  • Sydney

I installed the diff breathers last week. Universal kit from Air On Board.
                  Very simple process. The PE (blue) tube fits directly to the factory plastic spigot out of each of the differentials.

I have not bothered to mess with the transfer or auto gearbox breathers at this stage. For now I am happy with the factory breather system although I have left room to install another kit if I change my mind.

Front diff. I just cable-tied the original factory rubber tube to the new breather line.

Last edited by Pajshomoneroguntero; 20-10-20, 12:05 AM. Reason: Image host changed

Build Thread

Comment

• geopaj
                    Valued Member
                    • Jul 2007
                    • Adelaide

I modded the bluetooth dongle I have, a Konnwei 902, to include a power switch.

When I first got it it worked as advertised ie would self-shutdown after about 30 minutes. You wake it up with a push of the power button on the unit. Stopped working (the auto power off) virtually straight away. I got a couple of 30cm OBD connectors so that I wouldn't be continually wearing the factory OBD connection but this setup wasn't really ideal either with a cumbersome cable draped over the centre console.

I decided to add a switch to the unit. Once opening the dongle it appeared a very simple task to add a small switch in series from pin 16 to the PCB. I decided the best place to mount the switch was right in the middle of the cover as it was the place that assured the most space for the switch when the cover is closed. It would probably be better to source a smaller or lower profile switch but the one I used just worked an I had it on hand.

Nice job on the switch. Did you consider using a relay instead? (Use acc power to trigger the relay so the unit turns on and off automatically with the ignition).
                    Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')

Comment

• Pajshomoneroguntero
                      Valued Member
                      • Jul 2013
                      • Sydney

Originally posted by geopaj View Post
                      Nice job on the switch. Did you consider using a relay instead? (Use acc power to trigger the relay so the unit turns on and off automatically with the ignition).
                      Actually I did not. I think I was focussed on getting a switch in there but the relay is now on the cards, thanks for the suggestion.

Build Thread

Comment

• Pajshomoneroguntero
                        Valued Member
                        • Jul 2013
                        • Sydney

Pioneer Rack

Hmm, seems I've been a bit slack updating.

I have fitted a Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform. Got it from Autobarn on special so grabbed the opportunity to save about $150. The accessories weren't on special though so the rack is bare.

Just went looking for a pic but it appears that I haven't taken one.

Build Thread

Comment

• Pajshomoneroguntero
                          Valued Member
                          • Jul 2013
                          • Sydney

UHF Installed

I fitted the GME4500 UHF I had into the spot of the card slot. This meant removing the trim and it was something that I was planning on doing at the same time as the Electronic Brake Harness and Tow Pro install. I found myself first removing one bit of trim and then before I knew it I was in this position:

So out with the card slot and in with the DIN bracket included with the GME4500.

And with radio fitted...

Last edited by Pajshomoneroguntero; 20-10-20, 12:10 AM. Reason: Image host changed

Build Thread

Comment

• shavd
                            • Mar 2016
                            • Sydney

I took delivery of my MY16 NX GLS last week

I chose white with only a couple of options:
                            • MM Towbar
                            • MM Spare Wheel Lift

It will be my daily drive. My plans are to build it into a touring rig towing a camper trailer of some kind preferably a hybrid camper but we'll see. It will still need to function as the family weekender.
                            Can i ask a stupid question
                            What is a Spare wheel left kit
                            Does it have something to do with lifting the spare wheel up higher to clear the towbar. When i have the boat attached, i cant open the rear door

Comment

• Pajshomoneroguntero
                              Valued Member
                              • Jul 2013
                              • Sydney

Originally posted by shavd View Post
                              Can i ask a stupid question
                              What is a Spare wheel left kit
                              Does it have something to do with lifting the spare wheel up higher to clear the towbar. When i have the boat attached, i cant open the rear door
                              Exactly. The spare is lifted about 50mm so that the tyre is no lower than the rear door itself. The top cover however is removed for this mod.

Build Thread

Comment

• sam.cath
                                • Dec 2014
                                • Sunshine Coast

diff breathers

Hi,

I have ben considering installing the diff breathers as you have done & was wondering if you got under the car to do this or am I right in saying that the standard breathers terminate in the engine bay already, but just down lower & therefore you only needed to extend the tube 30-40cm up to the position of you new bracket?
                                I think that I might have seen breathers down deep on the drivers side of the engine bay
                                If it's as easy as that then I will have a crack myself.

Cheers,
                                Sam
                                2018 NX DI-D PAJERO GLS

Fuel Manager secondary fuel filter

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X