• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TC.Barky
    Valued Member
    • Oct 2011
    • Melbourne

Got a bit of time briefly so thought I'd chuck some stuff up from a recent(ish) high country trip I ran with a couple of blokes from the forum at the end of Jan. Original thread is here

I mosied on up on the Friday on my own (missus couldn't make it) after leaving Melbourne mid-late morning. As a massive fluke ran into Gus in Traralgon and had a bit of a yarn with him for a bit on the side of the road but otherwise an uneventful trip to Dargo (man does this car feel like a sportscar compared to the NL on the way into Dargo though!)

This was the first time I had taken this paj up to the high country so of course had to take a couple of poser shots in Dargo (none in front of the pub though, only thought to do it after dumping some rubbish in the bins at the public hall since I've been through Dargo so many times).

Here's a similar shot from the first time the NL went up (aw, memories).

Paj chugged its way up the high plains road with no fuss, but it was bloody foggy. It cleared up a bit at the McMillans turnoff where this photo was taken, about half way up I could only see about 1-2 seconds worth of in front of me.

Ran into aus_andyk in his challenger at the top just as I was finishing airing down for the ride down (glad I did, McMillans is annoyingly rough atm) so we headed off down to Talbotville as two cars.

Arrived at Talbotville to see HSV Rangie in the NT already well and truly set up and relaxing. Had a yarn with him for a half hour or so before folding the roof top tent out and settling in for a night of talking crap around the fire

Redrock arrived with his two boys late at night (and I mean late, the poor bugger couldn't leave Melbourne til around 6 from memory). So they set up their tent and other gear quickly while we all didn't help but marvelled over his recent bargain purchases that he'd fitted to his NJ paj (including a factory rear locker and a fridge and drawer combo among other things - still dunno how he manages to find everything so cheap!) then we hit the hay not long after.

We were all moving reasonably early the next morning, ready to be away by about 930-1000 to hit the tracks. Plan at that stage was to do Collingwood-Bulltown-South Basalt-Brewery back to Talbotville. Took a couple of snaps of the camp before we got moving, good to have a bit of variety of camping styles.

We pushed off and went up Collingwood. Usually a solid medium level track but recently graded so very smooth now. The top layer in a few spots was VERY powdery and loose due to the grading though and I picked a bad line just to see if the car could make it to no avail, first time having to back off and pick another line for the weekend, d'oh.

A shot from the helipad partway up

A mate of mine coming in from Bairnsdale met us at the top before we headed off down Bulltown Spur Track. Bulltown can be a ripper of a track when its cut up as it's quite steep with a shaly/rocky base (in fact it used to be an extremely challenging track if you go back far enough to before they made it snake its way up the hill instead of going straight up), unfortunately for us though it had also just been graded so it was a pretty uneventful drive down.

At the bottom of Bulltown you have to traverse 24 river crossings across the Crooked River to get back to Talbotville. Often this can present quite an interesting challenge as - aside from the water levels in the river itself - the entry/exit points to each crossing is quite rutted and rocky. You guessed it though, our mate the grader has been through there too so most of the exits were very straightforward. Anyone familiar with the area, yes they have also blocked off the alternate exit to the third last crossing as you head towards Talbotville as it was turning into a mini gunshot

Because we were making such good time (hell it wasn't even lunch time at this point) I figured we should head up to Blue Rag and take in the sights since I hadn't made my yearly pilgrimage up there yet this year we were already going to head up South Basalt anyway so wasn't a huge amount extra to go all the way up.

South Basalt is slowly starting to go back to its former glory. It'll never be as steep as they've criss crossed it up the second hill climb (the big one) but some rock ledges are starting to form. I of course decided to see what the new paj could do and promptly had to back off from an obstacle for the second time of the day after biting off more than the car could chew. Quick adjustment of the line and away we went. Nobody else had troubles except for my mate in the patrol at the back as he was the only one without any form of traction aid (everyone else had at least a rear locker and all the newer mitsus had traction control) who had to have a couple of goes at the rocks to get past.

Here's a video of the correct line being taken:

And some shots at the helipad

We then hammered our way along the rest of South Basalt Knob Track and then Basalt Knob Track up to the old train car for lunch. After lunch we went up towards Blue Rag via Basalt Knob North Track. I did most of this in high range (part lazy and part wanted to see how the car handled it) until I managed to get stuck (AGAIN!) on a sharp switchback. Promptly backed off put it in low range and told everyone to forget they ever saw it. Thinking about it after, I reckon the ASC was cutting in as a wheel would have been on the verge of lifting off on the corner while applying a small amount of throttle at full lock. Lesson learned!

My mate from Bairnsdale left us at the top of Basalt Knob North and went back to the High Plains Road to head home while we turned onto Blue Rag Range Track to head up to the trig point. For anyone still reading this drivel (kudos!) who hasn't been to Blue Rag before, it's definitely something you've got to do at least once. It's famous for a reason and remains one of the best drives I've ever done. It's not challenging from a 4WD perspective anymore (yet) but it's worth it for the views at the trig point and along the spectacular ridgeline drive. Saw a bit of traffic but it's wide enough these days that passing is not really an issue.

At the trig point:

After that we went back to camp at Talbotville via the High Plains Road (high speed dirt) and McMillans.

Upon coming back to camp we were trying to find something to test out aus_andyks nice new challenger and the best we could find was a diversion on the last river crossing exit as you come into Talbotville. Here is some footage, least we got a wheel in the air

aus_andyk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKTY...Afp-8q_S2A7Hqj

Redrock (ah the gen2 have a flair for the dramatic don't they ): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUHE...2A7Hqj&index=3

We then kicked back and gas bagged for the evening around the fire again (of course ) with HSV Rangie and I reminiscing a bit about some of the old tracks that used to be around years ago.

Next day was Billy Goats and the Pinnacles, we packed up camp and pushed off at about 9-930. We went via Station Track (actually quite a fun little track, I always forget about this one) and then along Cynthia Range Track before dropping down along Eaglevale Track. Relatively steep track but nothing too serious. Got to play with the auto on long hill descents though which was nice, performed quite well in the scheme of things.

At Eaglevale you have to cross the Wonnongatta River. The last couple of times I've crossed at this particular crossing it's been quite a task to get across. Not this time, barely touching the door sills. They've also cleaned up the entry considerably and got rid of the boghole on the Eaglevale side.

Here's a video of the other guys crossing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2kt...Afp-8q_S2A7Hqj

Then it was off to Billy Goats. This is usually quite an interesting and challenging drive but it had been graded the week before so it was still steep but there were no rock ledges to traverse or hair-raising wheel-lifting moments to contend with. Still well worth doing for the fire tower at the top but if you're looking for a serious 4WD challenge, look elsewhere for now

On the helipad partway up

On the exposed ridgeline near the top

After getting to the top in record time we walked up to the pinnacles firetower to have a look at the views.

Looking over to the firetower

Didn't take any photos from the firetower this time as I have a billion photos from up there, but suffice to say the views are magnificent.

We then walked back down to the cars and made the decision to have lunch in Licola (pies were a hard suggestion to resist).

So then we flew down Moroka Road to Licola, stuffed our faces, aired up and said our goodbyes

All up a good trip, albeit not particularly challenging from a 4wding perspective (even if I did manage to get myself stuck a couple times lol ) thanks to the guys who came along, look forward to heading out with you all again. Butcher Country is beckoning....
    MY14 NW GLX-R 3.2L Auto Build Thread
    Fitted: 265/70R17 Kanati Mud Hogs. Ultimate Suspension HD Front EHD + bags rear. MM Towbar. OL Bullbar. SPV EGR Mod. Bushskinz Bash Plates x4. Roleys Rear Bar Protector. Icom IC-400Pro. Rhino Pioneer Tradie Rack. CTEK CTD250S w/ Dual Bats. Airtec Snorkel. Scangauge II. Blackvue Dash Cam. TC mod. Autosafe Half Barrier. Masten TPMS. Drifta Custom Drawers w/ Mounted Compressor. 47L ARB Fridge. Domin8rX Winch. Towing an MDC stepthrough.

Comment

• Hatto
      Valued Member
      • Nov 2013
      • Mandurah WA

Great write up TC. Enjoyed that read even though I've never been to that side of our big brown land and had no idea where all those places are. Nice pics and videos.
      Cheers, Hatto

2012 NW GLS Diesel Auto with:
      ARB delux bar, full length Ocam ally roof rack with rear LED work light, dual batteries, DIY rear ally drawers with fridge slide, 2" lift oztec/kings, Polyairs, Kings awning 2.5 x 2.5m with LED strip light, pair of genr8 40w LED spot/flood driving lights, iron man 4x4 22" LED light bar, mounted thumper compressor, 70L water tank & 12v pump, 120w solar, LED interior lights, Boo Boo's bash plates, Safari snorkel and Grande mk lll 12000lb winch.

Comment

• abw
        • Aug 2013
        • Sydney

They certainly have been grading those tracks! I was down there just after Christmas, Blue Rag was a highway, but Billy goats was pretty chewed up (the "mogals" were a challenge for our group). That river exit you were talking about was still opened and was roof high! Me, a Challenger, and another late model Pajero got through. But the Navara behind us just sat there spinning his wheels

Enjoyed your write-up.
        was Pajero NS 2008

now GU Patrol

Comment

• TC.Barky
          Valued Member
          • Oct 2011
          • Melbourne

Originally posted by abw View Post
          They certainly have been grading those tracks! I was down there just after Christmas, Blue Rag was a highway, but Billy goats was pretty chewed up (the "mogals" were a challenge for our group). That river exit you were talking about was still opened and was roof high! Me, a Challenger, and another late model Pajero got through. But the Navara behind us just sat there spinning his wheels

Enjoyed your write-up.
          Yeah, I totally understand the need for doing it but part of me always thinks a bit of a shame was looking forward to tackling billy goats in the new car. Was a bit of a let down tbh.
          Fitted: 265/70R17 Kanati Mud Hogs. Ultimate Suspension HD Front EHD + bags rear. MM Towbar. OL Bullbar. SPV EGR Mod. Bushskinz Bash Plates x4. Roleys Rear Bar Protector. Icom IC-400Pro. Rhino Pioneer Tradie Rack. CTEK CTD250S w/ Dual Bats. Airtec Snorkel. Scangauge II. Blackvue Dash Cam. TC mod. Autosafe Half Barrier. Masten TPMS. Drifta Custom Drawers w/ Mounted Compressor. 47L ARB Fridge. Domin8rX Winch. Towing an MDC stepthrough.

Comment

• Rovingman
            Valued Member
            • Jan 2014
            • Blue mountains

Good photos!!
            Pajero NT RX 2011
            Dark tint: Driftadraws:bushskinz set:tough dog lift:50lt waeco:MSA drop down slide: optima 66AH blue top: oricom cb:GME antenna:120w solar:narva 170 lights:hayman reese brake controller:18/265/65 BFG's :roof basket & bag:SPV MK3.1:ARB compressor: Donaldson fuel filter:breathers:Redarc 40amp:century 120AH dual batt: Blue tongue offroad trekka camper trailer :2016 winch n bar Airtek snorkel
            LIVING THE DREAM!! My Build http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=44476

Comment

• TC.Barky
              Valued Member
              • Oct 2011
              • Melbourne

Originally posted by Rovingman View Post
              Good photos!!
              Cheers mate

Comment

• Chooseboost
                • Nov 2014
                • Western NSW

If you keep doing write ups like this it will save me buying mags!
                2013 NW VRX - ARB Deluxe bar, TJM 9500lb winch with synthetic rope, MT STZ's 265/60/18, UHF, Tough Dog Suspension Lift, Bushskinz Intercooler/sump guard and transmission guard, Bushskinz rock sliders, Boo's rear bash plate, Airtec snorkel, ARB diff breathers, Aurora 5w 20" lightbar, Rhino Pioneer Roof Rack. Second set of tyres on 17" challenger rims - Hankook Dynapro MT's 265/70/17. Kalahari Black awning.
                Check out my YouTube page!
                4x4therapy

Comment

• Dicko1
                  Valued Member
                  • Dec 2014
                  • Cairns, FNQ

Excellent write up. It really annoys me that I don't take enough fotos. Got all the good gear but just don't seem to grab a camera much anymore.

Its always interesting seeing others fotos and a small blog about the trip.
                  cheers
                  Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• P4J3R0
                    Valued Member
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Brisbane

Great write up and pics Barky.

Keep them coming
                    NS Pajero, with stuff.

Comment

• TC.Barky
                      Valued Member
                      • Oct 2011
                      • Melbourne

Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post
                      Excellent write up. It really annoys me that I don't take enough fotos. Got all the good gear but just don't seem to grab a camera much anymore.

Its always interesting seeing others fotos and a small blog about the trip.
                      cheers
                      Cheers mate.
                      I usually have an SLR with me. Pretty much all my photos are with a phone though as it's just so much more convenient (all phone for the last trip). They look a bit crappy on here though because I've compressed them down to a couple hundred KB.

Comment

• TC.Barky
                        Valued Member
                        • Oct 2011
                        • Melbourne

Spose I need to post this....

So I went on a two week trip not long ago. Did Robe, Googs Track, Lake Gairdner, Mt Ive and The Gawler Ranges. Trip report is coming, been a bit hectic at home and at work since I got back though so difficult to find the time. Guess these pictures need to be posted though. First time the NW has had to be recovered

Bellied out like a mofo at Robe. 16PSI but left the ASC on d'oh. Got winched backwards.

Full trip report definitely to follow, lots of video footage to put together first though to go with the photos that were taken. Will post it up when I can.

Comment

• my.paj
                          • Dec 2010
                          • Tullamarine

I think the sand over there is very smart, it lets you get to the point where you say "the sand over here isn't that bad" then bang its gone from under you.
                          Old, NP Exceed 3.5 petrol, ARB Bull bar, Warn winch, Bush Skinz Bash plates ,2inch lift, Safari Snorkel. ***Now Sold***
                          New, RG Colorado Dual Cab Tray

Comment

• fangios
                            • Jul 2012
                            • Mornington Peninsula

What has happened to TC?
                            he used to be very active on here.....
                            97 NL GLS 3.5v6 manual | dual fuel | Bridgestone Dueler 674 Mud | TJM winch bar

Previously 92 NH 3l auto

Comment

• TC.Barky
                              Valued Member
                              • Oct 2011
                              • Melbourne

Originally posted by fangios View Post
                              What has happened to TC?
                              he used to be very active on here.....
                              Too busy at the moment to spend much time on here one day I'll get some work/life balance and I'll find the time to come back properly. My poor build thread is so outdated.

Here, have a video from earlier this year.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

• fangios
                                • Jul 2012
                                • Mornington Peninsula

Thanks mate, glad to hear and see the mighty paj is still going strong! I have an Nl identical to your old one so have always kept an eye on your threads. Thanks for the video, nice work on getting up that one 👍
                                97 NL GLS 3.5v6 manual | dual fuel | Bridgestone Dueler 674 Mud | TJM winch bar

Previously 92 NH 3l auto

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X