• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sharkcaver
    "2000"+ Valued Contributor
    • May 2009
    • Perth

Originally posted by Pwoffey View Post
    More great footage, thanks Shane. Geez that spinifex looked atrocious. After you put on the radiator shield, to what extent did it lessen the problem?
    Not real sure, the damage was done by that stage. However, I'm sure whilst it helped, it didn't eliminate the stuff. My tranny, A/C, engine and intercooler radiators will never be the same, you just cant get this stuff out unless you have them on the bench. That ain't going to happen, but I'm happy with how much is out. A damn sight better then when we first opened her up.
    MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• insect_eater
      Valued Member
      • Mar 2015
      • Canberra

The spinfex seed flying over the windscreen is a great effect (for us, not you). I reckon that spinifex seed is worth a pretty bob, if you knew the right person...maybe you've stumbled on an effective harvesting system.

Nice video - It's been interesting watching the different angles/perspectives you've added over time, and I always enjoy the nice mix of pace that is a signature style of yours.

In earlier threads, I thought that one of the engineer heads said the problem with the LRA was the four-point mount - the front mount should be a single, (maybe pivoting, I suggest) one. I understood that this allows the monocoque body to flex, but tank stays rigid, therefore no breaks? As you say, the ratchet straps does the same trick.....
      NX GLX manual, T13, XD9000, Koni RAID, Ultragauge, ISI carrier, pioneer platform, Lithium auxillary

Comment

• sharkcaver
        • May 2009
        • Perth

Originally posted by insect_eater View Post
        The spinfex seed flying over the windscreen is a great effect (for us, not you). I reckon that spinifex seed is worth a pretty bob, if you knew the right person...maybe you've stumbled on an effective harvesting system.
        hahaha. That'd be like trying to sell ice to an eskimo.

Nice video - It's been interesting watching the different angles/perspectives you've added over time, and I always enjoy the nice mix of pace that is a signature style of yours.
        Thanks. Trouble with these types of trips is we are pushing K's - 3100Km's in 7 days in fact. A few more action type shots would have been much better, but they take time, time we just didn't have. I also note the shitty audio with the hero 5 this time around (all the outside shots) - I need to look into that for the next trip.

In earlier threads, I thought that one of the engineer heads said the problem with the LRA was the four-point mount - the front mount should be a single, (maybe pivoting, I suggest) one. I understood that this allows the monocoque body to flex, but tank stays rigid, therefore no breaks? As you say, the ratchet straps does the same trick.....
        If I had a preference for a mount to fail, it would be a rear. 2 reasons - 1 being access to the mount itself, the second is if it dragged its bum, I would hate to see the repercussions of the front of the tank being dragged in the direction of travel

I don't believe flex is my issue, its fatigue and hard hits on pretty thin brackets, trying to hold about 120 odd kilo in place.
        MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• Pwoffey
          Valued Member
          • Jul 2013
          • Adelaide

I'm just hoping the new gussetted rear mounts that LRA have supplied will do the trick. I'll be going through Arnhem Land in July/August and expect a few corrugations.
          BY13/MY14 Pajero NW GLX Auto, Cooper ST Maxx, factory towbar, Drifta drawers, SmartBar, Airtec snorkel, Koni Raid 90 front and 88 rear shocks with KIngs 34-HD springs front, 35-EHD rear, Brown Davis i/c, sump and transmission bash plates, Piranha diff breathers, Fuel Manager pre-filter, LRA 81L auxiliary fuel tank, Piranha steel battery tray, Sherpa 9500 lb winch, HPD catch can, LockUp Mate, Kaon cargo barrier, Harrop front e-locker, DBA T3 rotors and Xtreme pads, Mark's 4WD reduction gears

Comment

• greybeard
            • Jan 2008
            • WA

I haven't done an extensive survey but have noticed over the years that some OEM tanks (various vehicles) are held in place by straps rather than rigid brackets.
            No idea if this is a $ decision or in response to issues with rigid mounts.

Comment

• sharkcaver
              • May 2009
              • Perth

it's only 4 months overdue, but I have another trip to the GVD coming up and still another trip report to complete before hand.

finally, mowing the spackman is completed.

April 8 - 14 Well it had been 12 months since my last desert trip and I was longing for a dose of blackfella feet. So, with some time of...

My Journeys

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
              Working...
              X