• Show
Clear All
  • NTX
    Valued Member
    • Apr 2010
    • Niddrie, Melbourne.

Hydrogen fuel cells

G'day folks,

I did a thread search on this and came up empty handed, but has anybody tried adding hydrogen into their fuel, be it petrol or diesel? Im investigating this option at the moment. It does not seem overly expensive and simple to install. This is an example of what Ive been looking at: http://www.kempcospec.com/ There are also local retailers, but seem a fair bit more expensive.

Matt.
    2009 NT Pajero. SWB X ARB Sahara bar. Xray HID converted Spot lights. Mickey Thompson STZ 265/60 R18. Unicorn Performance upgraded Intercooler. NP 16" rims under house, still no rubber! Rhino sports racks and Rhino aluminium basket and bag.
  • NTX
    Valued Member
    • Apr 2010
    • Niddrie, Melbourne.

There is also this style, they seem to be able to produce a larger amount of HHO

2009 NT Pajero. SWB X ARB Sahara bar. Xray HID converted Spot lights. Mickey Thompson STZ 265/60 R18. Unicorn Performance upgraded Intercooler. NP 16" rims under house, still no rubber! Rhino sports racks and Rhino aluminium basket and bag.

Comment

• NTX
      Valued Member
      • Apr 2010
      • Niddrie, Melbourne.

Really makes me wonder why we aren't using this more and the line about hydrogen being to expensive to produce is BS! I could be wrong, but it is looking that way.

Comment

• nj swb
        Resident
        • Jun 2007
        • Adelaide

Basic physics.

Hydrogen (as an energy source) is expensive to produce in an energy efficient manner. More electrical energy is used to generate the hydrogen than you can recover by subsequently processing it.

The people who claim they are obtaining a benefit with these devices also believe in perpetual motion and "greater than unity" machines. I haven't seen one yet that stands up to rigorous scientific testing.

And this topic has been covered on this forum before:

A few members have sworn that it must help, but nobody has come back with proof.
        NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• NTX
          Valued Member
          • Apr 2010
          • Niddrie, Melbourne.

As one person pointed out, the fact that at higher revs the supply of hydrogen would lean out and mess with your tuning. That can't be good.

Comment

• craka
            Valued Member
            • Jun 2009
            • Newcastle (Newie)

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
            Basic physics.

Hydrogen (as an energy source) is expensive to produce in an energy efficient manner. More electrical energy is used to generate the hydrogen than you can recover by subsequently processing it.

The people who claim they are obtaining a benefit with these devices also believe in perpetual motion and "greater than unity" machines. I haven't seen one yet that stands up to rigorous scientific testing.

And this topic has been covered on this forum before:

A few members have sworn that it must help, but nobody has come back with proof.
            Though Hyrdrogen is one of the most abundant elements in the universe.
            NS SWB X 3.2DiD - Factory locker, Hella spotties, GME UHF, 2" lift

Retired: 1991 NH SWB 3.0L V6 5sp Manual, Mickey Thompson ATZs, GME UHF TX3200.

Comment

• stevemc181
              Valued Member
              • Sep 2012
              • Thornlie/Perth

I wouldn't be touching it, too many negatives in my view. If they do as claimed, they would be common place.
              2012 NW Activ with all the fruit, stripped what I could for my new build and handed over to the Mrs as a daily driver.

Current vehicle: 2016 Y61 GU Patrol Legend series Auto, (Last of the Breed)
              3505kg GVM Upgrade and 2" Lift | Warn XD 9000 Winch | Factory steel bar, towbar, snorkel, alloy roof rack | 285/70/17 (33") Mickey T ATZ P3's | 3" Manta Exhaust | ORS Drawer System | Manual Boost Controller | ECU Remap |

Comment

• nj swb
                Resident
                • Jun 2007
                • Adelaide

Originally posted by craka View Post
                Though Hyrdrogen is one of the most abundant elements in the universe.
                The most abundant, I would've thought. But I don't get your point.
                NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• sharkcaver
                  "2000"+ Valued Contributor
                  • May 2009
                  • Perth

The most abundant, I would've thought. But I don't get your point.
                  Try nitrogen. Unfortunately for hydrogen its also bonded to other atoms, primarily carbon in the natural world. And its the breaking of these atomic bonds to release the hydrogen that makes it energy inefficient.
                  MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• nj swb
                    Resident
                    • Jun 2007
                    • Adelaide

Originally posted by sharkcaver View Post
                    Try nitrogen. Unfortunately for hydrogen its also bonded to other atoms, primarily carbon in the natural world. And its the breaking of these atomic bonds to release the hydrogen that makes it energy inefficient.
                    He said universe, not planet.

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• sharkcaver
                      "2000"+ Valued Contributor
                      • May 2009
                      • Perth

He said universe, not planet.
                      Oh, be semantical why dont ya . Sorry I didn't see the forest for all the carbonated trees.
                      MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• Hammer07
                        • Jul 2013
                        • Sydney, NSW

Cut down all trees, all they do is suck up all the oxygen......
                        2011 NW Pajero, White, Ex NSW Police vehicle, Smartbar with 9000lb Warn winch, Lightforce spotties, Britelights light bars, Tinted windows, Tekonsha brake controller, GME TX3400 UHF, Uniden AM CB, Scanguage, Garmin GPS, LEDs throughout, Milford cargo barrier, Bushskins bash plates and sliders, Tigerz 11 awning, Wetseat seat covers, Tigerz11 roof rack customized,Cooper STTs, Ultimate 2" lift, Airtech snorkel, 90l Flexitank, 3" custom exhaust, DP Chip, Pioneer Head unit/DVD player.

Comment

• NTX
                          Valued Member
                          • Apr 2010
                          • Niddrie, Melbourne.

Carbon dioxide mostly.....whilst we are all being smart arses! But yes, Ive gone quite cold on this, especially after reading that ex installer article, I saw that early last night too. I worry about matching the supply of hydrogen to RPM and what that does to tuning. I reckon it would not be too bad on an old petrol motor, but not near my common rail ECU controlled diesel thanks!

Comment

• MatthewP
                            Valued Member
                            • Jul 2014
                            • North of Brisbane

Originally posted by NTX View Post
                            Carbon dioxide mostly.....whilst we are all being smart arses! But yes, Ive gone quite cold on this, especially after reading that ex installer article, I saw that early last night too. I worry about matching the supply of hydrogen to RPM and what that does to tuning. I reckon it would not be too bad on an old petrol motor, but not near my common rail ECU controlled diesel thanks!
                            Its pointless in a diesel.
                            In a petrol engine it allows you to run a leaner tune and use less petrol.

Diesel already have the benefit of running lean, so its just adding extra fuel, which can be done by just adding more diesel or adding a diesel gas LPG kit.
                            05 NP Pajero Platinum 3.2DID Auto

Comment

• NTX
                              Valued Member
                              • Apr 2010
                              • Niddrie, Melbourne.

Originally posted by MatthewP View Post
                              Its pointless in a diesel.
                              In a petrol engine it allows you to run a leaner tune and use less petrol.

Diesel already have the benefit of running lean, so its just adding extra fuel, which can be done by just adding more diesel or adding a diesel gas LPG kit.
                              Matt, my understanding was that the HHO was supposed to do the same as the LPG assist, in that the HHO would improve the burn efficiency by acting as a catalyst? I could be wrong about this, but Im pretty sure thats the intent of the HHO kit manufacturers and the concept makes sense at least.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X