• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RogerB
    • Jun 2012
    • Victor Harbor SA

Provent 200 catch can

I'm looking where to fit a Provent 200 catch can. Not too many options. I know I saw a thread here or somewhere about fitting to a Challenger but I cant find it. There seems to be 2 options - next to the turbo or over the other side behind the battery. Would next to the turbo be too hot? What have you done with the drain pipe?
    2012 Challenger LS Auto (White), Headlight & Stoneguard protectors, Bridgestone D697 AT's, HR tow-bar, HR Brake Controller, Dual Battery, 1.5Kw Inverter, Reversing Camera, ScanGaugeII, Nudge Bar, Fyrlyt driving lights.
  • 02-SR5
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2010
    • Toowoomba

Mate,

Make sure you buy the proper pro vent can. There are copies for less than half the price.

Google "Wester Filters" as they sell the made in Germany can.

I had a Chinese version copy of one. It looked the same, did the same job, but it wasn't and didn't.

About $170 - $200.

Rob
    MY17 Triton GLX Plus with Mitsubishi Canopy. Keeping it light and simple. 265/70/16 Nitto's, Bilstien shocks, Kings Springs front, Formula leafs rear, ECB nudge bar, Ligjtforce 170's, twin batteries and a ARB fridge.

Comment

• RogerB
      • Jun 2012
      • Victor Harbor SA

Thanks Rob,
      That's the one I've got - just working out where to put it.
      Roger
      2012 Challenger LS Auto (White), Headlight & Stoneguard protectors, Bridgestone D697 AT's, HR tow-bar, HR Brake Controller, Dual Battery, 1.5Kw Inverter, Reversing Camera, ScanGaugeII, Nudge Bar, Fyrlyt driving lights.

Comment

• old Jack
        Regular
        • Jun 2011
        • Adelaide, South Australia.

Hi Roger,

I am planning on fitting a Provent 150, it is the correct size for our 2.5 litre CRD/131kW engines, also at 76mm in diameter and 196mm tall it is smaller than the PV200. I am planning to install it on the side of the airbox just rearwards of the air outlet duct. I am not a fan of long hose runs to catch cans as there can been condensation and sludge build up due to the cooling of the crankcase gases, aim is to keep the hoses as short as possible and the same diameter as the factory hoses. If the hose is too small then you can build up back pressure that is not desirable and too large means a reduction in gas velocity so you are more likely to get sludge build up.

cheers, old Jack.
        2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
        MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• 900canoes
          Valued Member
          • May 2008
          • FNQ

I was looking at the 150 last year but have not got around to getting one yet. It requires a little bit of engineering to fit one hose (see pic).
          I believe this is why it is not as popular as the 200.

The LH one is the 150 and 200 on the right for size comparo.
          Attached Files
          2010 (MY11) PB LS Manual. 2017 LS-U DMax spacecab.

Comment

• cookie9
            Valued Member
            • Jul 2014
            • Central Coast NSW

This is another can of worms, I've heard arguments both ways about catch can on our trucks. The most compelling one being lubing the turbo, plus if your running EGR mod (SPV) then carbon buildup is unlikely.
            2011 LS Auto Challenger, Ultimate 50mm suspension lift, Diff breathers, OEM towbar, Bushskinz.....

Comment

• fester
              Valued Member
              • Feb 2013
              • Gympie Qld

I would question how much the blowby can lube the turbo when its bearing and lubrication system is pretty much sealed. The turbo lubrication system is already well designed. The other factor against is the build up of oil in the intercooler which can reduce its effectiveness. You can also still have oil coating sensors.

Comment

• Sellers
                • Mar 2014
                • Gloucester NSW

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
                Hi Roger,

I am planning on fitting a Provent 150, it is the correct size for our 2.5 litre CRD/131kW engines, also at 76mm in diameter and 196mm tall it is smaller than the PV200.

cheers, old Jack.
                Old Jack, based on the above, would you expect a decrease in filtration effectiveness or other problem using a 200 over a 150? The 200 models appear to be more readily available...

-Sellers
                MY14 PC Challenger; ARB Plates, GME 4500 UHF, Direction Plus prefilter kit, Smartbar, Airbags, Safari Snorkel, 12V aux system, HR Towbar, All Terrains on Steel, Brown Davis 107L LR Tank, Ultimate 40mm Lift, Rear Drawers.

Towing a Bartell Trailers custom 7' camper, Drifta DPOR kitchen, Beehive 10' tent. Australian made and modified all the way.

Comment

• Paj People 2009
                  Valued Member
                  • Oct 2009
                  • Sunny Gold Coast, QLD

HI,

Might be of some interest.

Shows the Provent catch can install on a Pajero done yesterady.

Cheers,
                  Sally
                  SOLD 2009 NT PAJERO PLATINUM & 2015 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE

RUNVA XP11 11,000lb Winch in MM ALLOY Bar, 2.75" S/S exhaust, ARB Air Locker, BLACK WIDOW Drawer Sys, ABBER Water Tank, GREAT WHITE & IRONMAN LED LightbarS, ARB OME 2 inch lift, POLYAIRs, BUSHSKINZs, Airtech SNORKEL, IRONMAN Awning, PIONEER Platform, REDARC Tow Pro, Provent , D697 LT's, ALPINE Stereo, Amp & Sub, DP CHIP, DRLs, Torque App, SPV EGR MOD Mk3

2015 LOTUS FREELANDER & CRUISECRAFT EXPLORER 575

Comment

• fester
                    Valued Member
                    • Feb 2013
                    • Gympie Qld

Originally posted by 900canoes View Post
                    I was looking at the 150 last year but have not got around to getting one yet. It requires a little bit of engineering to fit one hose (see pic).
                    I believe this is why it is not as popular as the 200.

The LH one is the 150 and 200 on the right for size comparo.
                    Is that the inlet through the mounting bracket. Is it a hose tail or does something fit in there.

Are the hose sizes of the 150 a better match because most of the hassles I've seen with the 200 are adapting to its larger fittings.

Comment

• old Jack
                      Regular
                      • Jun 2011

Originally posted by Sellers View Post
                      Old Jack, based on the above, would you expect a decrease in filtration effectiveness or other problem using a 200 over a 150? The 200 models appear to be more readily available...

-Sellers

I have read somewhere, that the PV150 uses the size filter as the PV200, so filtration area is not the issue. Obviously the PV150 can hold is less than the PV200 so it would require emptying more frequently unless it was installed with a check valve and drain back to the sump. I have not explored this option yet. The PV150 is slightly smaller than the PV200 and since space is very tight then this may dictate choice. As others have said the PV150 has smaller hose diameter, but still slightly larger than the factory hose and since one of the hoses goes through the moulded mounting bracket this presents a few challenges.

As for location, the drivers side of the engine bay is preferred to reduce the length of the hoses, mounting on the firewall, off brake booster, off airbox or off engine are all options. Temp rated to 120C so should be ok if there is a reasonable distance from the turbo which is well shrouded. On the passenger side the only possible location is behind the battery but this is no good if you have dual batteries under the bonnet and I do worry about long hose lengths.

Either way it is not a 5 minute job to install. All my "on car" spare time is consumed by testing the 5th gear lockout for the auto trans and EGR testing at the moment.

cheers, old Jack.
                      2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.

Comment

• peter92
                        Valued Member
                        • Mar 2009
                        • maryborough queensland

Is catch cans only for turbo,s . could some one school me please
                        Regards Peter
                        used to be nl 1999 auto,3.5lt petrol.
                        now 1994 80 series cruiser diesel wagon
                        bull bar side steps, mags,dual batt system,2 waecos 35lt,40lt h/reese towbar,103amp agm batt, 500w inverter. narva spotties, uniden uh7700nb uhf 40 ch narrow band, 2.5kva inverter generator
                        SKYPE NAME possum.58

Comment

• Travlla
                          • Jun 2014
                          • Melbourne

Originally posted by peter92 View Post
                          Is catch cans only for turbo,s . could some one school me please
                          Regards Peter
                          They work on NA cars as well, especially worn out one's, mum had an old MK2 Corona back in the day, the old slug breathed a lot and would oil up the air filter, a catch can would have worked a treat to solve the oily air filter problem, Instead i just went to the wreckers and got a walking stick pipe from an old red motor, and jammed that in the top of the rocker cover,

this helps explain them

Comment

• 900canoes
                            Valued Member
                            • May 2008
                            • FNQ

Is that the inlet through the mounting bracket. Is it a hose tail or does something fit in there.

Are the hose sizes of the 150 a better match because most of the hassles I've seen with the 200 are adapting to its larger fittings.
                            1. Yes the inlet is through the mounting bracket. I think the idea would be to mount a fitting into it that you can attach a hose to. My photo was sent to me by a distributor so I dont have a 150 in front of me to describe fully.

2. Jacks info on the hoses is more than I have ATM.

Another thing the supplier said was although the 150 is smaller, it is not a big difference. This would not deter me from getting one when I get around to putting one in.
                            2010 (MY11) PB LS Manual. 2017 LS-U DMax spacecab.

Comment

• old Jack
                              Regular
                              • Jun 2011

900 C, here is the spec sheets for all Provents.

I have been looking at the specs more closely and based on the following:
                              PV200 has 25mm dia hose fittings
                              PV150 has 20mm dia hose fittings
                              PV100 has 19mm dia hose fittings

and since the Challenger has 16mm dia hoses, maybe the even smaller PV100 may be adequate, the manufacturer states engines up to 100kW with blow-by of 100 litres per minute. I am thinking a low revving, low compression ratio (for a diesel) 2.5 litre may just have under 100 litre per minute.

Is a PV200 or even a PV150 overkill?

Now where can I borrow an airflow meter from ?

cheers, old Jack.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X