• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • greig
    Valued Member
    • Aug 2010
    • kanwal

Originally posted by 260DET View Post
    Thermostat does not fully open until 95 degrees, eh, Old Jack with the good info as usual In that case it looks like these engines are designed to run at 95 as a minimum so 100, and probably more, should be quite safe.

One thing to check is the coolant level, if it is basically not losing coolant then that indicates it's OK temperature wise and does not have a head etc problem. What about autos? Unless the auto radiator is bigger an auto will heat the coolant more in hot conditions.
    I'm thinking at 100 deg, it would be quite safe, but at 105 or more ( when the needle starts to move ) then that would indicate an abnormal temp, so I would be hesitant to run the 4wd with the needle moving up toward the red..

As said before, as long as I can keep it below 100, I will drive it hard if need be....and I regard that as driving to the conditions..

Comment

• old Jack
      Regular
      • Jun 2011
      • Adelaide, South Australia.

Any temperature spike, due to short term load, below the coolants boiling point is ok as long as the engine cools down after the load has eased. It wouldn't surprise me if 4 or 4 1/2 bars (5 bars being red line) on the dash gauge, could occur if engine is worked hard in extreme conditions or the radiator airflow was blocked.

It is when the coolant boils and steam is formed that the coolant loses its ability to conduct heat (cool engine) and this is also when the system pressure rises and the radiator cap relieves the excess pressure caused by the steam.

All heat exchangers (radiators, intercoolers, condensers and trans coolers) have a limit to how much heat they can dissipate, this will depend on their physical size, conductivity of the material they are made of, the amount of internal flow, ambient air temperature & humidity and the amount & temperature of airflow through the fins. Remember there is such as thing as too much cooling and the engine not being able to reach and maintain optimum operating temperatures, look at trucks that use grill covers during the colder months in cold climates.

cheers, old Jack.
      2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
      MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Russo
        • May 2013
        • Russia, Moscow

Hi guysMy name is Ruslan, i'm from Russia. In our country we too have internet-club pajero owners I'm up this ropic because want to clarify, what is the operating temperature for 4d56 engine. On my car in city driving i see the temperature change from 88 to 96 degrees. It's a normal? Other forum users wrote that they have the temperature remains constant - 88 degrees. Last year I changed the thermostat as the temperature was varied from 94 to 98 degrees. Should I worry now about engine temperature or not to think about it. What do you think about this?
        P.S. thanks in advance
        P.P.S. I'm sorry for my english
        Pajero Sport 2011 A/T 4d56 178Hp Russia Moscow

Comment

• old Jack
          Regular
          • Jun 2011
          • Adelaide, South Australia.

Normal Temps 95 to 100 degrees, hope my (google translate) Russian is ok.

рабочая температура от 95 до 100 вполне нормально, OS я бы не волновался.

ура, старые Джеком.
          2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
          MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Russo
            • May 2013
            • Russia, Moscow

Thank you old Jack
            Your russian is in order
            Pajero Sport 2011 A/T 4d56 178Hp Russia Moscow

Comment

• 260DET
              Valued Member
              • Nov 2012
              • Brisbane

After having a good look at the PB's frontal airflow situation and fitting a sheet of aluminium insect mesh to shield all the various cooling components, I decided to move the standard sized number plate up so that it's bottom edge is in line with the bottom of the bumper. The standard location does mean that the plate blocks some airflow to the intercooler and the auto trans cooler.

How significant this blockage is who knows but it does seem to be a worthwhile change, particularly in regard to the auto cooler. Other than that the various cooling components appear to to be reasonably located to make the best of the available airflow.
              Richard.......MY12 silver base model auto rear driver tow truck and shopping trolley. Bilsteins, Firestone rear air bags, HR towbar, Scangauge II and aftermarket reverse camera/GPS navigation unit. SOLD

Comment

• norto
                • Jan 2010
                • Batemans Bay

Mine never gets above 95 deg even when towing a van on 38deg celcius days
                Pete

Comment

• greig
                  Valued Member
                  • Aug 2010
                  • kanwal

Originally posted by norto View Post
                  Mine never gets above 95 deg even when towing a van on 38deg celcius days
                  Mine will sit on 95 deg when just driving along the fwy at 115 k/ph ( last night at 12 deg outside temp )

But will normally do the same when towing............until it hits a hill, then if it's long enough it will go straight to 100, then occasionally if I'm pushing it and the outside temp is high 30's, it will climb up to 105.......which is where the normal temp gauge will start to move up..

Comment

• Dongskie2
                    • Dec 2016
                    • Manila & Berwick

I have a 4D56T/IC on my 1991 Gen2 and it would normally sit between 85C - 95C temps on a typical hot day here in Manila and it keeps me on the edge when it goes above 95C when the A/C is on.

Since most of you guys mentioned 95C to be normal, I,m trying to make myself feel better about it but I just cant take the edge off myself when it goes over 95C

I just assure myself that if it aint boling, its fine!

Thanks for this sharing.
                    Nothing beats Doing It Yourself.... Tuned 4M40 and 4D56T WIP

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X