• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jimaayy
    • Feb 2017
    • Sydney

Oil leak

Hi everyone,

I had an oil leak a few months ago and the mechanic said it was the rocker cover gasket. That was fixed and the leak seemed to stop for a while however less than 5000ks later oil is leaking again and the mechanic reckons it is the rocker cover gasket again.

It's not leaking a lot at all. I've got a very basic knowledge of mechanics however just wondering if it's a common issue with the pajeros or maybe something else the mechanic has missed? Any input would be greatly appreciated. The oil appears to be dripping from the transfer, can get some photos tomorrow if that helps.

Cheers
  • Alex86
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2007
    • Here and there

Rocker cover is a common one.
    From what I've heard scraping the old gasket off and not damaging some little lip on the cover is critical- otherwise the new one gets damaged and leaks.

Give your engine a clean up and then try determine the origin of the leak.
    '99 NL Escape, Manual - Bullbar, roofrack, cargo barrier, D697LT, Tough Dogs, dual batts, rear draws, Narva 225 HID, UHF, led bar etc
    Towing: 4.8m Savage Centurion half-cab w/75hp Mariner

'99 NL GLS SWB, Auto - Bullbar, D697LT, spotties, UHF, Koni adjustables & King springs.

Wanted: Adventure.

Comment

• erad
      Valued Member
      • Mar 2015
      • Cooma NSW

What colour is the oil? If it is coming from the engine, it will likely be black. If it is coming from the transfer, it will be brown/orange colour and have a different smell. This should help in identifying where the oil comes from.

Comment

• jimaayy
        • Feb 2017
        • Sydney

Hi,

Thanks for the input so far. The oil is black.

Could be that the mechanic did not scrape off the old gasket etc I guess..

Comment

• TimTams
          • Apr 2012
          • Melbourne

they may not have done the sealant properly where the rocker cover gasket meets the half moon seal at the back. Or they may have skipped the half moon seal entirely, and that could be leaking now. I suggest you pull it apart, clean it all, and reseal both half moons and rocker cover gasket with new sealant as per the workshop manual.

if that doesn't fix the leak, it'll be the rear crankshaft seal...

These are the relevant workshop pages (assuming you have the 2.8 diesel... but the principle is the same):

'95 LWB Pajero NJ 2.8TD Manual

Comment

• gemster
            Valued Member
            • Aug 2012
            • Gold Coast

I think it Could be leaking from 1 of 2 plates, or both on the back of the Heads, near the Firewall... Rear Cam Seals I think they are. A 'small hand' is needed here to squeeze behind and have a feel around.. Mine are Leaking and running down the Bell-housing and dripping off the Transfer box, just as you have described...
            Gemster....
            YES. ITS A MITZY . 97 NL 3.5 GLS AUTO (Formally owned by geopaj)__ Snorkel ,2 Uniden Uhfs , Roof Console, 2"lift, TT Suspension, Dual bat, Redarc System, BFG KO2's All Terrains, 55L sub tank, Pioneer sound, Milford cargo barrier, Extractors, SS exhaust, Rear camp light, Free Wheel Hubs, Improved Rear Storage unit, Alarm, Led interior lamps...
            And a 1999 NL LWB... Called 'Project Covid".. Stock Standard.
            ..Both with No Airbags. We die like real Men

Comment

• MTN-KAT
              Valued Member
              • Jun 2009
              • Gold Coast

Originally posted by gemster View Post
              I think it Could be leaking from 1 of 2 plates, or both on the back of the Heads, near the Firewall... Rear Cam Seals I think they are. A 'small hand' is needed here to squeeze behind and have a feel around.. Mine are Leaking and running down the Bell-housing and dripping off the Transfer box, just as you have described...
              Gemster....
              That was my thought, if it's a V6. The drivers side is the more prevalent offender. Maybe no connection to the 5,000k ago rocker cover gasket. However the original post speaks in the singular as if there is only one rocker cover, which means a diesel engine. Mechanic said it's rocker cover gasket again, so assuming he is right then surely he should be doing the job again for no cost as 5,000k is not good enough. The offer of a photo would be helpful for us to know what the mechanic is looking at.
              99 NL Escape 3.5L V6 LWB Wagon, "Aisin Auto", MM Alum Protector Bar, MM factory 'steel' underbody protector plates, Engine oil cooler, Transmission oil cooler, Side rails, Flares, MM Alloy wheels, HANKOOK Dynapro ATM LT tyres, Aftermarket Alarm, MM A.I.S. HPR15 Penrite engine oil. Penrite LS140 diff oil with 250ml LIMSLIP additive 7098.

Comment

• jimaayy
                • Feb 2017
                • Sydney

Hi,

Thanks for everyones help so far. Sorry I forgot to mention its a 2.5TDI NH.

I've uploaded some photos. It appears to be leaking from somewhere under the manifold?

I'll be taking it to the mechanics tomorrow so will let you know how it goea. Just more so wanted to make sure it wasn't normal for it to leak so quick again if it is the rocker cover. Thanks again!
                Attached Files

Comment

• jimaayy
                  • Feb 2017
                  • Sydney

Hi all,

Took it to the mechanics and they said it was the rocker cover. They replaced it free of charge however still appears to be very little oil collecting.

I've been wiping it up the last few days but there's still a little bit of oil collecting, it doesn't drip onto the floor anymore. Maybe old oil from the leak before? Or could it be something else that's leaking. The amount of oil does appear to have reduced significantly.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• peter54smith
                    • Jun 2011
                    • Barry Vale of Glamorgan Wales UK (gs io81ij)

Oil leak

Hi guys just a quick post ref the rocker box they leak like hell I have replaced 4 gasket sets in the last 36 months recent was this summer 2017 noticed yesterday oil on the road yet again, I have tried gasket sealer by the bucket full just won't cure the problem seems to be a quirk with the 4m40 2.8 I have now learned to live with it and top up every 2 months.
                    The problem is not the problem its your attitude to the problem that's the problem.

Comment

• Dongskie2
                      • Dec 2016
                      • Manila & Berwick

does it have a half-moon rubber gasket? It could be that if it wasnt replaced, it shrinks in time.
                      Nothing beats Doing It Yourself.... Tuned 4M40 and 4D56T WIP

Comment

• jimaayy
                        • Feb 2017
                        • Sydney

Just for everyone's info. The leak is quite bad now and the mechanic now thinks it could be the dip stick seal. Will try get some photos tomorrow.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X