• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • iTool
    • Jan 2016
    • SEQ

Turbo hose not on properly?

VSC and CEL lights came on yesterday. VSC light went off after restarting but CEL still on, down on power and turbo sounds louder than normal.

Haven't got around to buying an OBDII dongle, so popped the hood to see what was going on. Turbo hose (to intercooler) doesn't feel loose, but the end of the hose is about 1cm from the widened flange on the turbo outlet pipe rather than butting up against it. Does this seem normal, or do you think it suggests the hose is starting to blow off?
    Attached Files
    2010 PB Challenger LS Manual
  • Pickle
    Administrator
    • Jun 2007
    • All over Oz

Check all the hoses around turbo. Had one come off when test driving a PB just before doing Blue Rag in the High Country and still did it with the CEL light on
    Once back to the dealer they said it was a known problem with the glue used.
    Dave
    NX Pampas Cat GLS MY16
    Member 1228 Pajero Club

Comment

• DID Dash
      • Aug 2016
      • Australia

iTool, the hose on my PB Challenger creeps along the casting over time, but it has never blown off. I reckon I have loosened the clip and slid it back home about 3 or 4 times in 4 years ownership. I looked at mine today while doing some work in the engine bay. Yep - it's creeping again, around 5mm from fully engaged. Wonder if a worm drive clamp might be better than the OE spring clip.
      17MY Pajero Sport, Factory Towbar, King Springs KCRS-23/Pedders 5899 Cones, 265/70R17 A/T's for the rough trips.

Comment

• iTool
        • Jan 2016
        • SEQ

Thanks, yeah mine is about 10mm off (and already has a worm drive clamp). CEL is off now and things seem back to normal - could have been an unrelated issue but will keep an eye on the hose.

Comment

• zoom
          • Apr 2017
          • Sydney

I think the permanent fix is to fit a wide spring clamp .I use these on all my hoses on my Cummins marine engine and never had one let me down .The extra width spreads the load on the hose this prevents the hose from spreading /squashing
          Last edited by zoom; 03-07-17, 08:57 PM.

Comment

• twisted32
            • Jan 2015
            • Adelaide

The gap is nothing to worry about. Under pressure the hose will move until the clamp comes up against the retaining lip of the turbo outlet.
            It is working as designed.
            MY14 GLX Pajero DID auto with Lift, 265/70 R17 Yoki X-AT's, Full Bushskinz plates , Scotts Rods 3" TBE, Johnny Tig FMIC, TME ECU remap, Provent, OL Bullbar, Ironman 9500lbs winch, dual batteries, Lockup mate lite, nomad valve body, aeroflow AF72-6000 transmission cooler with 9" fan and radiator cooler bypass, 3.15 reduction gears, traction contol mod (on/off), Uniden 8080S, flappy paddles, Rhino flat rack mounted on ARB rails, 42" Stedi ST3K light bar and custom drawers

Comment

• zoom
              • Apr 2017
              • Sydney

Originally posted by twisted32 View Post
              The gap is nothing to worry about. Under pressure the hose will move until the clamp comes up against the retaining lip of the turbo outlet.
              It is working as designed.

Comment

• iTool
                • Jan 2016
                • SEQ

Refitted the hose yesterday and cleaned the MAF sensor (I think it's been a year since I last cleaned it, was dirty on the intake side and clear on the other). Driven it a couple of times since (including some full throttle runs) and no issues so far touch wood.

Comment

• iTool
                  • Jan 2016
                  • SEQ

Ok, this has now escalated. Full on hiss when it starts boosting, and down on power. Will try to take a look at all hoses tomorrow for anything torn, but a preemptive question is whether the intercooler hoses are manufacturer specific or can I just buy something from Supercheap and bend it into shape?

Comment

• iTool
                    • Jan 2016
                    • SEQ

Found it - a tear on the inside of one of the bends on the intercooler inlet hose...

Comment

• Dicko1
                      Valued Member
                      • Dec 2014
                      • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by iTool View Post
                      Found it - a tear on the inside of one of the bends on the intercooler inlet hose...

Bet that's a relief. Gives me the shits when you cant find the problem..
                      Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X