• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dbdb
    • Aug 2008
    • Adelaide Hills

Speed controlled lockup torque converter switch - NT onwards

This is my experience getting a TC lockup switch fitted with speed controlled automatic switching.

I was pretty sick of towing in 4th all the time, and the auto not locking up in 5th (or in reality unlocking at the slightest bump in the road, change in road surface, truck driving past etc.). So I decided to put in a lock up switch, and being a lazy sod, wasn't keen on having to lock and unlock it manually, or remembering to do so. So I approached Richards Auto Electrical in Murray Bridge, as they do the lockup kit for the 100 and 200 series cruisers. Seeing how the NT onwards has the Aisin box, same as the 100 series I thought it may be worthwhile.

Stefan was happy to give it a go using the Wholesale Autos lock up switch as he hadn't done anything to date with the Pajero, and wasn't sure how well his TC lockup module would work with the Pajero electronics. He was happy to mate it with his speed sensor switch controlling the locking and unlocking.

Being the first, it took the best part of a day to fit including a couple of hours troubleshooting the speed sensor wire. The kit works well, in Auto mode, it will engage at about 80 on the speedo, and disengage at 70. In manual mode it will engage at 40, disengage at 30 (it's called manual mode cause you have to select a lower gear or you get pretty severe shuddering).

I've used it for a trip to the Pilbara (13500 km) and NSW / Victoria (about 5000 km). Much more relaxed having the auto lock up, I usually drive in sports manual mode and keep an eye on the engine load via scan gauge. If the load is too high I drop back to 4th (or whatever is appropriate). Auto stays locked up, auto temps are always under 90. But if the terrain is benign I have driven it in Drive and just kept an eye on the load.

The only issue that occurred with fitting it was sorting out getting the speed signal. Originally it was taken from the sensor wire to the info display, but that meant the loss of the signal to the display, so no average fuel or speed. The info display is very sensitive to the signal quality, and having the lock up speed switch in the circuit obviously provided some interference. We tried several different diodes etc. to clean up the signal, but no go. For the first six months, I lived with no speed related stuff on the info display. I eventually got it back to Stefan (my delay, not his) and he picked up speed signal from a wheel sensor. All works well now.

I'm pretty happy with it, it makes towing easier, and helps manage fuel consumption. Don't have to worry about remembering to switch it on and off, can leave it in auto and just drive off.

Stefan has been great to deal with, no problem sorting out issues, even picking up my car for the last lot of speed signal fixes and dropping it back to me. I believe he is going to put the kit out for the Pajero, using all his stuff. Contact him if you are interested. http://richardsauto.com.au/wp/

Richard
    14 NW GLX-R automatic, dual battery, Icom 440 UHF, redarc tow pro, Bushskinz bash plates, light bar, Dobinsons suspension, HPD front mount intercooler, ARB bull bar and other stuff.
    04 NP GLX now gone

Pajero Service Manual link
  • Dicko1
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2014
    • Cairns, FNQ

Have sent an e-mail. Hopefully he can produce a kit that is relatively easy to install. Sounds good...
    Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• Allan2
      • May 2013
      • Mid Nort Coast, NSW

I'm interested.
      Allan
      2009 NT, 3.2 Auto, D/Lights & Light Bar, EGR mod, Sump and Inter Cooler Guards, Tow Bar, Bog Standard.

Comment

• Chainsaw
        • Oct 2016
        • Sunshine Coast Aust

I had contacted Stefan earlier in the year and waiting for him to get back, looks like he sorted the Pajero issue then so will get back to him. Thanks Richard

Comment

• grhyso
          Valued Member
          • Aug 2012
          • Perth

Brilliant! I actually came across them somewhere else a couple of weeks ago and got excited by the idea then saw they only did Landcruisers so I didn't look any further into it.
          2010 NT GLS DiD Auto Silver | TJM T13 Bullbar | Lightforce LED 180 Spotlights | Runva 11XP | Dual Batteries | TJM snorkel | Bushskinz & TJM bash plates | Custom alloy roof rack | Sunseeker II Awning | MDC RTT | EGR Block | Bilstein/Lovells | Dick Cepek Fun Country tyres | Wet seat seatcovers | Uniden UH7760NB | Parrot Asteroid Smart | Morel, Soundstream and Kicker Audio | MM Cargo Barrier | Storage Drawer | Onboard water system |

See our latest adventures at http://www.treksandtinroofs.com

Comment

• spiderpig
            • Jan 2008

I emailed Stefan too about a year ago before i bought our wholesale kit but didn't get a reply. I liked the idea of the kit he was doing for the 100/200 series with the Auto function and was wondering if the kit would work on the paj.
            Any idea on cost to adapt the auto function to the wholesale kit?

Comment

• dbdb
              • Aug 2008
              • Adelaide Hills

Hi Spiderpig,

I'm really not sure what Stefan would charge for that now, when he did mine be wasn't sure what he'd need to do, so my price was a balance between his development cost and a reasonable price from my perspective. I would guess now it would be his normal install price less cost of the lock up switch component. Sorry that's vague, but hi really don't know.

Richard
              14 NW GLX-R automatic, dual battery, Icom 440 UHF, redarc tow pro, Bushskinz bash plates, light bar, Dobinsons suspension, HPD front mount intercooler, ARB bull bar and other stuff.
              04 NP GLX now gone

Comment

• Chainsaw
                • Oct 2016
                • Sunshine Coast Aust

This is copy of email I received from Stefan earlier in year.............

Hello,
                Sorry we do not currently have a kit available for sale, we have completed the development for your NW Pajero. It works the same as the Toyota kits, we have had some technical trouble obtaining the speed signal without upsetting the onboard graph meter. We are still in testing to finalise this. We will announce on Facebook when this will become available for sale.
                Price will be approx $700

Regards
                Stefan

He was away until after 16th May. I have sent him another email and now waiting reply.

Comment

• Chainsaw
                  • Oct 2016
                  • Sunshine Coast Aust

Just spoke to Stefan and ordered a kit. Will be fitting it when I'm in Townsville next week. So will be "proofing" the fitting instructions for him, for those that want to DIY. He says cost is $695 + $20 delivery.

Comment

• Chainsaw
                    • Oct 2016
                    • Sunshine Coast Aust

I finally received a kit, but, never got around to fitting it before I upgraded my tow vehicle. Bit hard to tow a 5th wheeler with a Paj. Anyhow I now have the kit up for sale, so chance to save $100...here. https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum...+lockup+clutch

Comment

• dbdb
                      • Aug 2008
                      • Adelaide Hills

Just for interest sake. A couple of weeks ago on a flying trip to Albury with the camper trailer, after a stop at Ouyen the CEL came on and the neutral light started flashing. Scan gauge showed a code that equated to a problem with the torque converter lockup.

I rang Stefan (luckily just before 5 on a Friday night) and we did some trouble shooting and were able to clear the code and get it to stay cleared. But no torque converter lockup switch. He thought it was the Wholesale Automatics box based on the code.

It played up a couple of times over the weekend, but always able to be cleared. It all still worked fine, but not a comfortable feeling with the flashing lights etc.

I rang Wholesale Automatics the week after I got back, they thought it was probably an earth problem. Interestingly it was fine for the next 3 days after I called them, must have scared it into submission .

I redid the earth but no effect, still coding and getting more frequent. I had it booked in for Stefan to have a look at, and I rang Wholesale Automatics again too. They were very helpful and based on my trouble shooting sent me a replacement kit by courier to try swapping out.

Five minute job to swap it, problem solved. Obviously something in the box has expired and caused a fault. I've just shipped the dead box back to Wholesale Automatics, hopefully they'll let me know what happened.

What have I learned - support from both Stefan and Wholesale Automatics has been very good, a scan gauge is a great investment and I'm still pleased I did the mod.
                      04 NP GLX now gone

Comment

• dbdb
                        • Aug 2008
                        • Adelaide Hills

I spoke to Stefan, he's looking for someone to test the self install kit instructions, so needs someone who's comfortable installing one and happy to work through any issues with the instructions with him. Once he's happy that the instructions are clear he'll start advertising the kit for the Pajero on his website etc. So if you are interested give him a call (and no, I don't get a commission )
                        04 NP GLX now gone

Comment

• stevemc181
                          Valued Member
                          • Sep 2012
                          • Thornlie/Perth

Originally posted by dbdb View Post

I rang Wholesale Automatics the week after I got back, they thought it was probably an earth problem. Interestingly it was fine for the next 3 days after I called them, must have scared it into submission .

I redid the earth but no effect, still coding and getting more frequent. I had it booked in for Stefan to have a look at, and I rang Wholesale Automatics again too. They were very helpful and based on my trouble shooting sent me a replacement kit by courier to try swapping out.

Five minute job to swap it, problem solved. Obviously something in the box has expired and caused a fault. I've just shipped the dead box back to Wholesale Automatics, hopefully they'll let me know what happened.
                          Did you replace the resistor in the wholesale auto's kit? I had similar problems and swapping the resistor for another one did the trick. The original one was failing when it got hot after about 15 or 20 minutes of having the TC Lockup engaged. They also tried to tell me it was a bad earth initially.
                          2012 NW Activ with all the fruit, stripped what I could for my new build and handed over to the Mrs as a daily driver.

Current vehicle: 2016 Y61 GU Patrol Legend series Auto, (Last of the Breed)
                          3505kg GVM Upgrade and 2" Lift | Warn XD 9000 Winch | Factory steel bar, towbar, snorkel, alloy roof rack | 285/70/17 (33") Mickey T ATZ P3's | 3" Manta Exhaust | ORS Drawer System | Manual Boost Controller | ECU Remap |

Comment

• Dicko1
                            Valued Member
                            • Dec 2014
                            • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by dbdb View Post
                            I spoke to Stefan, he's looking for someone to test the self install kit instructions, so needs someone who's comfortable installing one and happy to work through any issues with the instructions with him. Once he's happy that the instructions are clear he'll start advertising the kit for the Pajero on his website etc. So if you are interested give him a call (and no, I don't get a commission )

Good stuff. I just hope it doesnt mean we have to cut into an ecu wire. Not keen on that as car is still under warranty. Will wait for more news.
                            Cheers
                            Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• dbdb
                              • Aug 2008
                              • Adelaide Hills

Originally posted by stevemc181 View Post
                              Did you replace the resistor in the wholesale auto's kit? I had similar problems and swapping the resistor for another one did the trick. The original one was failing when it got hot after about 15 or 20 minutes of having the TC Lockup engaged. They also tried to tell me it was a bad earth initially.
                              https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum...t=43878&page=5
                              No just the control module, the resistor is the original.
                              04 NP GLX now gone

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X