• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • old Jack
    Regular
    • Jun 2011
    • Adelaide, South Australia.

Well done flyboy, great write up on a what seems like a simple task that goes pear shaped easily

OJ.
    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• erad
      Valued Member
      • Mar 2015
      • Cooma NSW

"Now, why does the bolt fail in the first place. Probably a combination of over tensioning the nut after making an adjustment to belt tension, combined with it is only a short 10mm thread stub,"
      You are probably correct in the overtightening bit, but if this bolt is too loose, it can be subjected to vibrations, and over time, they will cause fatigue of the bolt at the weakest point. So therefore it is vital that you tighten the bolt to the specified torque to minimise the number of load fluctuations the bolt will experience in its lifetime.

Comment

• geopaj
        Valued Member
        • Jul 2007
        • Adelaide

If anyone is interested in the future, it looks like the bolt adjuster come with the pulley (part number 7813A136 )

¡Piezas de calidad para Mitsubishi auto con entrega rápida! ¡Los mejores precios del mercado para 7813A136 - PULLEY A,A/C COMPR TENSION!
        Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')

Comment

• flyboy
          Valued Member
          • Mar 2017
          • SA

Wasn’t me that did the write up! I just commented on how well it was written.

All credit to PaulMcG

Comment

• Larppanen
            • Feb 2020
            • Finland

Old thread, but now I have same problem. Bolt just snapped when I was torquing nut up to right torq.

Already ordered new pulley with bolt and nut and also noticed that changing the bolt is PITA.

I was just wondering that I don't want to disassemble compressor and bracket, but if I just make a hole large enough to bracket sliding slot (that slot where bold slides up and down when pulley is tightened or loosened) that allows me to pull bolt out and insert new one. Of course that hole must be at bottom of sliding slot so it wont pop out, the pulley seems to be more or less in the middle position of that sliding slot when in place so should not be a problem.

I give it a go when I get the spare parts, need to measure diameter of the hole to allot bolt to slide in/out and of course need to figure out is there enough room to make that hole. Will update here as soon as the job is done, or if it impossible to do..
            Pajero 2010 3.2TD 147kW Automatic

Comment

• Larppanen
              • Feb 2020
              • Finland

Finally..

So I managed to replace the pulley bolt without removing the bracket. It may not be "accepted" fix, but it does feel very solid even when bracket was cut. Pulley tighten the assembly so I believe it will hold, but I'll keep my eye on it. I cut bracket with angle grinder with worn out blade that was small enough to fit and it was very easy to cut.

Here are some pics of the process, I made one extra cut that was not needed (I did not remove material there). Also there was crank sensor (?) that I could not remove, as I was afraid to damage it, so I made another cut to to end of bracket to get old bolt out and new in:
              ​​
              Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20240303_145353.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	266.1 KB
ID:	1144122
              Bracket cut, crank sensor tilted out of the way to remove old bolt. Unnecessary cut on the right.

Name:	IMG_20240303_145550.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	249.9 KB
ID:	1144123
              New bolt in place, at the lowest position.

Name:	IMG_20240303_150210.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	1144124
              Pulley and belt installed, at the lowest point.

Name:	IMG_20240303_150637.jpg
Size:	143.5 KB
ID:	1144125
              Belt tightened.

Name:	IMG_20240303_151731.jpg
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	1144126
              Angle grinder with worn blade, that did the work.
              Pajero 2010 3.2TD 147kW Automatic

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
              Working...
              X