• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dunney
    • Jul 2014
    • port hedland

tablets used for offroad mapping

hello people, please bare with me I am absolutely hopeless with technology.
    I have just bought a new NX pajero, and now im looking for some mapping to run on a tablet. I have done a bit of looking about and most articles are from 2014 and are probably outdated with the way computes go.

I have tried talking to the people in store and using their online chat service but I fear these people almost know less about the devises than I do. upon leaving the store im more confused than when I went in with them guessing on what tables can do.

basically I just need a basic tablet that has GPS ability. I take it then I need to download some apps/maps and then go from there possibly storing the maps on micro SD cards.
    will an of these do the trick.
    -Lenovo tab

-Samsung tab
    Browse our range of computers that includes laptops, desktops, gaming computers, tablets & more. Shop from Asus, HP, Apple computers & more at JB Hi-Fi.

both claim they are gps. would prefer to do it as cheap as reasonably practical without buying nasty stuff from ebay or compromising reliability.

thanks for any help.
  • Poita
    Valued Member
    • Sep 2010
    • Adelaide

I would love an Android tablet with oziexplorer but work gave me an ipad, so am trying to find out which maps are best for that.
    Basically any android tablet with gps will do the job. Even second hand from Gumtree, can pick up some very good bargins. Just make sure you can get a solid mount for it.
    NW VRX MY2013
    Jonny Tig FMIC, 3" Exhaust, RalliArt remap, Provent, FuelManager, CouplerTec rust protection, ARB bar, Runva winch, TJM Snorkel, Bilstein/Lovell/Airbags, full Bushskins kit, Asfir AC+fuel, Fyrlyt Nemesis 9000 spotties + LED headlights, Uniden UHF, RedArc TowPro Elite, BRC breathers, Honda sprayers, Automate lockup/paddles, Rhino platform/backbone

Comment

• Toddyh
      Valued Member
      • Nov 2013
      • Lalor Park, NSW

I have a cheap Kogan tablet running Memory Maps (MM), including the HEMA maps through MM. Works great and was obviously cheaper than the big names.
      2010 PB LS- ARB Bull Bar, Runva 11XP winch, Cooper ST Maxx 265/70/17, Ultimate suspension lift, Bushskinz plates, Kaymar rear bar with single wheel carrier.

Comment

• GOSSAMER
        Valued Member
        • Apr 2008
        • doncaster east vic

Both look very similar in specs and size, both have sd card slots. I have had a samsung tablet (older than these) and i found it very slow. If their is a higher spec ones for not much more i'd go for one of those otherwise the lenovo is cheaper and look better IMO.

or for $98
        Browse our range of computers that includes laptops, desktops, gaming computers, tablets & more. Shop from Asus, HP, Apple computers & more at JB Hi-Fi.
        Back from the Dark side
        NT VRX, Ironbark, Dobinson suspension, Kanati muddies 275 65 18, Boo's bash plates (now with dents )

Comment

• Ian H
          Valued Member
          • May 2015
          • Melbourne

I use the Hema app on an ipad which doesn't have GPS functionality. So i have that app on the iphone as well and use that when traveling to log my tracks and then i just upload them to the ipad so I can keep a record of them. It's not ideal but it works OK. The NX has a built-in GPS so i don't need the turn by turn function as much.

but I have looked at his tablet and wondered if it was worth a try for off road tracks where the car GPS doesn't work....

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for 7" H7 GPS Navigation Bluetooth Obd2 TPM Android Portable off Road for 4x4 Car at the best online prices at eBay!

Much cheaper then the Hema H7
          2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• TC.Barky
            Valued Member
            • Oct 2011
            • Melbourne

If it's an apple product, needs to be 3G to have GPS (or at least that's how they used to be). If it's android, just make sure the specs specify GPS.

I'm using a galaxy tab 2 10.1 that I've had for a few years, still does the job fine. I use a combination of oziexplorer for android and OSMAnd depending largely just on my mood. The software you use kinda depends on whether you have your own maps to use or whether you want an inbuilt set of maps.
            MY14 NW GLX-R 3.2L Auto Build Thread
            Fitted: 265/70R17 Kanati Mud Hogs. Ultimate Suspension HD Front EHD + bags rear. MM Towbar. OL Bullbar. SPV EGR Mod. Bushskinz Bash Plates x4. Roleys Rear Bar Protector. Icom IC-400Pro. Rhino Pioneer Tradie Rack. CTEK CTD250S w/ Dual Bats. Airtec Snorkel. Scangauge II. Blackvue Dash Cam. TC mod. Autosafe Half Barrier. Masten TPMS. Drifta Custom Drawers w/ Mounted Compressor. 47L ARB Fridge. Domin8rX Winch. Towing an MDC stepthrough.

Comment

• GOSSAMER
              Valued Member
              • Apr 2008
              • doncaster east vic

Can get a blue tooth gps receiver for ipads
              Back from the Dark side
              NT VRX, Ironbark, Dobinson suspension, Kanati muddies 275 65 18, Boo's bash plates (now with dents )

Comment

• HomerJ
                • Jul 2009
                • Warrnambool, Vic

I've got a Samsung Tab4 and it has a built in GPS. Was using Oziexplorer which is good but have just recently bought the Hema Android app to try out. I haven't been away since installing Hema so I can't tell you what it's like. The Samsung needs to be charged while running Oziexplorer and I assume Hema will be the same, so make sure you can plug it in while you're on the move.

Comment

• Naviguesser
                  Valued Member
                  • Dec 2013
                  • Crib Point Vic

Got an 8 inch Samsung Tab S2 running Ozi Explorer.
                  Very happy with it.
                  MY14 NW GLX-R DiD
                  ARB Bull Bar, Safari Snorkel, Dual Batteries, Tinted Windows, Spare Tyre Lift, Toyo Open Country 2. EGR Block. GME UHF. Illuminator 9" LED Driving Lights.
                  TJM XGS Gold Series Shocks, EFS Coils, Polyairs.
                  Now towing a 19ft regent Caravan

Member of the Cynical Old Bloke Club

Comment

• Ian H
                    Valued Member
                    • May 2015
                    • Melbourne

I prefer a tab around 7" or 8" but those cheaper versions in the op only have 1GB ram. I'm not sure that's enough to run detailed maps well but I'm happy to be corrected if anybody has one. The Tab2 8" is getting up there in price again, at over $500.
                    2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• Fritterbug
                      Valued Member
                      • May 2013
                      • Brisbane

Two more mapping apps for people to try.
                      PDF maps
                      Australia Topo Maps

If you get/have an older tablet search for its model number and Cyanogenmod. Breathes new life into an older device by getting rid of the bloat and probably also gaining a later version of Android.

I've been a life long Ozi fan but it doesn't seem to like Marshmallow on my device.
                      Hema Explorer has been a disappointment for me after getting it as soon as it was released so I tend to try any new mapping app I see.
                      MY14 Pajero VRX

Comment

• tonymOz
                        • May 2013
                        • Perth

I upgraded my stereo to a Joying Android device, now I have off road mapping on my dash as well as Google maps, Google earth, iGo and any other Android application I want. Works like a charm and so much better than a tablet.
                        2011 NT 3.2, ARB bar, UHF, roof bars, dual battery, Lovells / Bilstein 2" lift, 12000lb winch

Comment

• GOSSAMER
                          Valued Member
                          • Apr 2008
                          • doncaster east vic

Originally posted by Ian H View Post
                          I prefer a tab around 7" or 8" but those cheaper versions in the op only have 1GB ram. I'm not sure that's enough to run detailed maps well but I'm happy to be corrected if anybody has one. The Tab2 8" is getting up there in price again, at over $500.
                          I have a Google nexus 7, i think it has 1 gig of ram and works fine with Ozi
                          Back from the Dark side

Comment

• Toddyh
                            Valued Member
                            • Nov 2013
                            • Lalor Park, NSW

Originally posted by Ian H View Post
                            My $200 Kogan has only 1 GB of Ram and a 1.2GHz processor. Runs maps perfectly. It is pretty much dedicated to them though and has bugger all else on it.
                            2010 PB LS- ARB Bull Bar, Runva 11XP winch, Cooper ST Maxx 265/70/17, Ultimate suspension lift, Bushskinz plates, Kaymar rear bar with single wheel carrier.

Comment

• Ian H
                              Valued Member
                              • May 2015
                              • Melbourne

Thanks for the info about 1G being ok. Maps is all I need the tablet for

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X