He'll be right, just use the advice app on the iphone

Comment

• Just Cruzin
      Valued Member
      • Jul 2014
      • Pakenham

Originally posted by Jizza View Post
      He'll be right, just use the advice app on the iphone
      Hope he can find one that works offline.
      99 NL Exceed with air in tyres

Comment

• Flying
        • Jul 2016
        • Sydney

Originally posted by ger08 View Post
        I would have thought that if you wanted to good off road navigation you would have bought a GPS for that. There are plenty of off road apps you can use as well dedicated units like the Hema and the VMS.
        x2, I doubt that many inbuilt satnav maps have off-road trails or the ability to install them, and if they do who's to say that they will keep supporting those maps 10 years later either? Not much point if the GPS knows exactly where you are and the map is showing you sat in the middle of a big green featureless area...

Absolutely agree that the android auto setup isn't perfect yet, but the point of having a software based system is so that it can be improved and made better over time, as opposed to inbuilt systems which are limited to what technology was available at the time. I don't see a reason why you won't be able to use HEMA maps running from your phone or tablet through android auto in the future. Similarly, I don't see a reason why it would continue to need mobile data to plan a route, it's just how google maps works. Happy to be wrong but that's my thoughts. Otherwise we all throw in and build our own firmware platform that replaces android and allows apps to be displayed

BTW it only relies on mobile data to work out the route to begin with, so if you are driving point to point in the outback, it's all fine and will follow the trail using the phone GPS unless you try and reset the destination. Agree it's not ideal but I don't really see it as a reason not to buy a PS.

As for tow weights, I'm no expert but not sure I'd feel comfortable towing 3.5T in a vehicle that weighs 2.2T... 3.1 seems plenty to me
        White 2016 Pajero Sport GLS, MM bullbar, HR towbar + andersen hitch, towpro, lovells 2" lift, cooper at3's, bushskinz, thule bars, clearviews, redarc bcdc + 110ah lithium, engel MRF40 fridge, GME TX3350, cel-fi go, ultragauge, idrive, nitro maxx 22" LED bar, awning, cargo barrier, ARB compressor.

Comment

• Just Cruzin
          Valued Member
          • Jul 2014
          • Pakenham

Originally posted by Flying View Post
          x2,
          As for tow weights, I'm no expert but not sure I'd feel comfortable towing 3.5T in a vehicle that weighs 2.2T... 3.1 seems plenty to me
          It may not be the ideal situation, but it's the legal situation. When your towing a van right on the GVM of the towing vehicle, better to have a bit up your sleeve so you can carry more beer.

Comment

• SteveMa
            • Apr 2017
            • ACT

Nav options for Pajero Sport

Originally posted by spot01 View Post
            Same in the NX MY16 onwards - very annoying - a backwards step from the inbulit sat nav in my 2013 NW VRX - penny pinching I suspect.......

I wonder if there is a separate Garmin/Navman style GPS unit with inbuilt maps that can work through the inbuilt screen/carplay/android thingy instead of being stuck to the windscreen?
            A couple of company's now make an add on system that integrates into the factory system. Check out http://www.naviplus.com.au/single-po...y-Android-auto - around $900 if you wanted to go that way. another site which offers similar is http://dealerfitted.com.au/mitsubish...ation-upgrade/

Comment

• silmaril
              • Jul 2017
              • Victoria

I wasn't worried about only having Android Auto for GPS as I bought myself a HEMA Hx1 for off-road exploring. I really doubt any in-built GPS would have features coming close to the HEMA unit.

Comment

• Jimbo65
                • Sep 2017
                • Tuncurry

If anyone is looking for a good offline app for iPad I can recommend Ovitalmap. I have been using it for a couple of years now and it has a remarkable amount of tracks & trails that google maps etc don't have. Also have the ability to record routes and mark maps with arrows at intersections etc prior to heading out. Free download and pretty easy to use

Comment

• phicks
                  Valued Member
                  • Feb 2011
                  • melbourne

Hi Anton,

You don't need mobile signal for it to work - you just use offline maps, all you need to do is download the map when you are at home on WIFI, and it will work anywhere..
                  Google maps can be downloaded, and it will work pretty much anywhere.

incidentally in my industry I've seen so many thousand types of Sat Nav, i think this is the best thing yet - i'm trying to work out how to retrofit one to my NS and also my Patrol! I'm pretty sure Google's not going anywhere either, there already in your house (Google home) and all over your phone, pretty sure there here for the long haul.
                  NX Pajero GLS. Service Manager at Chadstone Mitsubishi.

Comment

• sandgroper 123
                    • Dec 2015
                    • W.A

How many have gone out and bought a new phone ,i pad ,etc that's whats this is all about, oh and lots of data . great scam !!
                    Attached Files

Comment

• waz123
                      • Feb 2017
                      • Yarra Valley

Has anyone tried one of these units - tried is probably the wrong word given the cost, but would be interested to know if anyone has experienced the quality - http://www.naviplus.com.au/online-st...stem-p83577404

Comment

• Ozgeo
                        • Feb 2017
                        • Bendigo

Originally posted by phicks View Post
                        Hi Anton,

You don't need mobile signal for it to work - you just use offline maps, all you need to do is download the map when you are at home on WIFI, and it will work anywhere..
                        Google maps can be downloaded, and it will work pretty much anywhere.

incidentally in my industry I've seen so many thousand types of Sat Nav, i think this is the best thing yet - i'm trying to work out how to retrofit one to my NS and also my Patrol! I'm pretty sure Google's not going anywhere either, there already in your house (Google home) and all over your phone, pretty sure there here for the long haul.
                        Thank for the reply. Agree about the solution of pre-downoading maps but for me the real issue is that we are forced to use either Google Maps or Apple Maps and can't use good smartphone map apps. Aside from 4WDriving, I do wilderness walks and MTB riding and use an app called Pocket Earth which for a maximum cost of approx AU$8.00 I have some 30Gb of offline maps stored on my iPad and phone that include Topological coverage and road/track data down to to a scale of 20m/cm. Google and Apple maps only give main or secondary roads in out of the way places. I apologise for pointing this out, but I can't agree that the Google/Apple maps are a great solution for using in a true 4WD situation. I find it very frustrating that Mitsubishi only provide a solution for what may be called City/Highway drivers in a car that they sell and promote as a true off road vehicle.

In conclusion what I see as the issue here is not that I think the concept of linking to a smartphone is flawed, to the contrary it has a lot of merrit as it gives us the ability to keep our maps up to date. However for this concept to work for a true 4WD vehicle we need to be able to use a good mapping app - of our choice.
                        Last edited by Ozgeo; 22-05-18, 12:15 AM.
                        Anton (PS QE MY16 GSX)

Comment

• Dicko1
                          Valued Member
                          • Dec 2014
                          • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by Ozgeo View Post
                          Thank for the reply. Agree about the solution of pre-downoading maps but for me the real issue is that we are forced to use either Google Maps or Apple Maps and can't use good smartphone map apps. Aside from 4WDriving, I do wilderness walks and MTB riding and use an app called Pocket Earth which for a maximum cost of approx AU$8.00 I have some 30Gb of offline maps stored on my iPad and phone that include Topological coverage and road/track data down to to a scale of 20m/cm. Google and Apple maps only give main or secondary roads in out of the way places. I apologise for pointing this out, but I can't agree that the Google/Apple maps are a great solution for using in a true 4WD situation. I find it very frustrating that Mitsubishi only provide a solution for what may be called City/Highway drivers in a car that they sell and promote as a true off road vehicle.

In conclusion what I see as the issue here is not that I think the concept of linking to a smartphone is flawed, to the contrary it has a lot of merrit as it gives us the ability to keep our maps up to date. However for this concept to work for a true 4WD vehicle we need to be able to use a good mapping app - of our choice.

Although the Paj is a true 4wd lets be honest....in stock form (the same as 95% of other manufacturers vehicles) it is lacking in standard equipment. I dont think that a vehicle has been sold to the general population has a suspension package, from the manufacturer, that is suitable for all round asphalt or off road driving. . What about sidesteps?....surely for a minimal cost the Paj could have come with a 50mm round sidestep protector. . What true off road vehicle comes with short lived highway tyres as well? What about the pissy power box they call a battery?

Like most I accept that the Paj, when modified, is a great off road vehicle....the same as a Nissan, Ford, Toyota etc.etc...needs mods from new.

I use a Hema HN1....LOVE IT...The less I have to rely on mobile phone bullshit the better!!
                          Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• crash486
                            • Jan 2018
                            • Blackheath, NSW

Dicko, just for the heck it... Jeep make a few vehicles with offroad suspension, suitable tyres, sat nav (no real use off road) that are more than capable off the showroom floor. There maybe a ute coming soon as well :-)

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Comment

• Dicko1
                              Valued Member
                              • Dec 2014
                              • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by crash486 View Post
                              Dicko, just for the heck it... Jeep make a few vehicles with offroad suspension, suitable tyres, sat nav (no real use off road) that are more than capable off the showroom floor. There maybe a ute coming soon as well :-)

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Their reputation is shite !! I,d rather use a pogo stick and backpack than head off in a jeep.....
                              Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• Just Cruzin
                                Valued Member
                                • Jul 2014
                                • Pakenham

Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post
                                Their reputation is shite !! I,d rather use a pogo stick and backpack than head off in a jeep.....

That's being a bit harsh on the pogo stick, comparing it to a Jeep.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X