• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ticky
    Valued Member
    • Jan 2015
    • Adelaide

Oil classification seems to be another of the many areas that fall outside of my area of expertise.

It also seems the Nulon oil I have been using is no longer on their web site. It was a 5W-30 (black-yellow label) Low ash

So I would be interested to hear what people think of these specs, bearing in mind my NT is an 09 with a passive DPF Its a 5W-40. https://www.nulon.com.au/images/file...PB-SYN5W40.pdf

It seems ok to me except the Sulphated Ash is 1.2% where I think the old 5W-30 I was using was about .5%

Steve
    2009 NT VRX, Rear Battery Pack, 18" Bridgestone D-697, SPVi EGR mod, BushSkinz Intercooler & Sump Plates. BOO's Transmission & Transfer Case Plates. GME 3550, HID HB's and 22"LED Bar, Pioneer Avic F80DAB Audio/Coms/Nav system MM4x4 TC Lockup Mate. & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Pretty Stock but very Capable

Wish List: ARB Deluxe Bar & Winch, Snorkel, Diff Breathers, & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Comment

• spot01
      Valued Member
      • Apr 2011
      • Adelaide

Originally posted by ticky View Post
      Oil classification seems to be another of the many areas that fall outside of my area of expertise.

It also seems the Nulon oil I have been using is no longer on their web site. It was a 5W-30 (black-yellow label) Low ash

So I would be interested to hear what people think of these specs, bearing in mind my NT is an 09 with a passive DPF Its a 5W-40. https://www.nulon.com.au/images/file...PB-SYN5W40.pdf

It seems ok to me except the Sulphated Ash is 1.2% where I think the old 5W-30 I was using was about .5%

Steve
      Is that the correct link? The pdf link info says not for DPF cars - it recommends a different product.
      Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• nj swb
        Resident
        • Jun 2007
        • Adelaide

Originally posted by ticky View Post

Steve
        Hi Steve,

I have the same DPF.

Pajeros came with two different types - the NS had a "closed" DPF, in which exhaust gas must pass through the filter element, which catches the particles. Over time, the filter blocks with the soot, and regeneration turns it to ash (which remains in the filter). As I understand it, "Low Ash" oil is required to reduce the amount of residual ash.

We have an "open" DPF, which is constructed and acts more like a catalyst - it doesn't capture the particulates, but (through something akin to magic ) continues combustion, reducing the mass of the particulates (rather than the number of them). The open DPF doesn't "clog", doesn't "regenerate", and doesn't require special oil (other than, perhaps, not using some lighter weights of oil, as mentioned above - that's new to me).

I bought the Nulon 10W-40 full synthetic.
        NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• ticky
          Valued Member
          • Jan 2015
          • Adelaide

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
          Hi Steve,

I have the same DPF.

Pajeros came with two different types - the NS had a "closed" DPF, in which exhaust gas must pass through the filter element, which catches the particles. Over time, the filter blocks with the soot, and regeneration turns it to ash (which remains in the filter). As I understand it, "Low Ash" oil is required to reduce the amount of residual ash.

We have an "open" DPF, which is constructed and acts more like a catalyst - it doesn't capture the particulates, but (through something akin to magic ) continues combustion, reducing the mass of the particulates (rather than the number of them). The open DPF doesn't "clog", doesn't "regenerate", and doesn't require special oil (other than, perhaps, not using some lighter weights of oil, as mentioned above - that's new to me).

I bought the Nulon 10W-40 full synthetic.

Thanks Scott.

I have been using this one but it dosent seem to be on their web page anymore.

Steve
          Attached Files
          2009 NT VRX, Rear Battery Pack, 18" Bridgestone D-697, SPVi EGR mod, BushSkinz Intercooler & Sump Plates. BOO's Transmission & Transfer Case Plates. GME 3550, HID HB's and 22"LED Bar, Pioneer Avic F80DAB Audio/Coms/Nav system MM4x4 TC Lockup Mate. & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Pretty Stock but very Capable

Wish List: ARB Deluxe Bar & Winch, Snorkel, Diff Breathers, & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Comment

• green troll
            Valued Member
            • Aug 2015
            • Adelaide

Well they still sell it cause I saw it again today

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
            Working...
            X