• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nj swb
    Resident
    • Jun 2007
    • Adelaide

Odd noise - where should I start?

OK, odd one, looking for some thoughts on what it might be.

For the last few days, when the car is cold, I get an intermittent noise that's a sort of cross between a chirp and a squeak, and dependent on steering angle.

It's loudest while turning right, and related to road speed - as I go faster, it gets faster, but I can't go real fast on a sharp right turn. It rarely sounds while driving straight, and I've never heard it turning left. I don't hear it once the car has warmed up. It disappears with the faintest pressure on the brake pedal - which suggests brakes.

I'm thinking maybe I have a slight warp in a disc, but there is no hint of a pulsing under brakes, and I can't figure out why it would change with steering angle. I can't detect any movement in the calipers, but if I try real hard, I can sort of imagine the slightest hint of play in the front right wheel - perhaps it's a bearing problem? Touching brake discs when I got home, I couldn't detect any difference in temperatures.

Any thoughts?
    NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box
  • Ian H
    Valued Member
    • May 2015
    • Melbourne

Have you checked to see if the front axle is rubbing on the strut ? I had that problem when a bush failed and they noticed a ring mark on the axle.
    2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• ticky
      Valued Member
      • Jan 2015
      • Adelaide

Gday Scott,

Bearing noise usually is a drumming sort of noise in the early stages but certainly detectable when turning as you say. They tend to develop into a squeak as they get worse from my experience. and the noise is usually speed relative.

I suppose Its possible that as it warms up the Grease provides a little more lubrication.

One suggestion would be to jack up the front and spin the wheels while holding a long screw driver on the back of the axle somewhere, and the handle to your ear. You may be able to detect a grinding sound or at least a different sound from the other side. Ive never actually tried this, because I am a bit deaf so by the time I can hear a wheel bearing, there is seldom any doubt. I have done it on Alternators and water pumps Etc to pinpoint where the noise is coming from.

Good luck mate and yell out if you need any tools or anything, I have a pretty good selection apart from my car kit.

Steve

Steve
      2009 NT VRX, Rear Battery Pack, 18" Bridgestone D-697, SPVi EGR mod, BushSkinz Intercooler & Sump Plates. BOO's Transmission & Transfer Case Plates. GME 3550, HID HB's and 22"LED Bar, Pioneer Avic F80DAB Audio/Coms/Nav system MM4x4 TC Lockup Mate. & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Pretty Stock but very Capable

Wish List: ARB Deluxe Bar & Winch, Snorkel, Diff Breathers, & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Comment

• Nab
        Valued Member
        • Mar 2012
        • Perth

My work car had a similar issue, it turned out to be the brake pads worn low and the little metal bracket occasionally touched the rotor. New brake pads solved the issue.
        SOLD 2004 NP 3.2 auto
        NOW 2014 Ranger XLT auto

Comment

• starjunk
          Valued Member
          • Mar 2011
          • Sydney

Originally posted by Nab View Post
          My work car had a similar issue, it turned out to be the brake pads worn low and the little metal bracket occasionally touched the rotor. New brake pads solved the issue.
          Are you talking about the brake wear indicator wire thing? That makes more of a scratching noise dunnit?
          '92 NH GLS LWB 3.0V6 A/T ...sold Please DON'T consider
          '06 NP VR-X LWB Turbo Diesel Sports A/T..sold Please consider
          '96 NJ GLX LWB Turbo Diesel M/T..sold . Loved that car
          '08 NS GLX LWB Turbo Diesel M/T...daily driver. Wake up and Drive!

Comment

• RoyHarvey
            • Mar 2008
            • Adelaide

Noise detection

Not sure if this will help for your noise, but many years ago I had a troopy that developed a high pitched bearing noise appearing to come from the gearbox area.

In desperation I made a crude stethascope out of some surgical rubber tubing, a bit less than 2m long, one end simply secured (wired/tied) in various locations around the gearbox area, then similarly secured/routed up and through the drivers window and into my right ear.

That was enough to leave little doubt the transfer was the cause and it turned out to be the needle bearings in the idler shaft.
            2016 NX Pajero GLX
            Prev....2002 NM petrol passed on to SIL

Comment

• m_and_m
              Valued Member
              • Mar 2010
              • Tea Tree Gully, Adelaide

Originally posted by Nab View Post
              X2 NJ.
              Ol' NP had a very similar symptoms which was ultimately the brake wear indicator. Didn't make a scrape sound like you'd expect. Mine also only made the noise on a slight turn in one direction.
              Check front pads.
              2016 NX Exceed 3.2 DiD, BullBar | 2" OME lift | Safari snorkel | UHF | Towbar | Tow pro elite ECB | Full Bushskinz UBP and side steps | HID highbeam upgrade | 9" LED spots | 100Ahr Aux. Battery | HPD Oil catch can | Flappy Paddles | auto-matePRO
              2016 LC200 Sahara V8 Diesel,Lots of Mods too
              Checkout our products at MM4x4 http://www.mm4x4.com.au auto-mate and lockup-mate for Mitsubishi's and Toyota's

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
              Working...
              X