• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • saj
    • Aug 2010
    • Northern Nsw

Hema Explorer vs Memory Map vs Exploroz apps

I've got my old 2nd Gen wifi+Cellular iPad up and running and looking to install one of the apps above. I've currently got the Memory Map running with the trial nsw topo 1:25k maps on my iPad (took about 6 hours to do download the 13 gigs and I'm on NBN).. I don't mind the interface but was wanting to get other opinions on any of the hundred or so GPS apps out there before I purchased my first set of maps from Memory Map, I see this as a long term thing......cheers
    2006 NP VRX DiD. Dual Batts 80Amp. 2"lovells and bilsteins. Polyairs. Clic-on Ipad Holder. ARB awning
  • Ian H
    Valued Member
    • May 2015
    • Melbourne

I'm running Ozi Explorer and memory Maps on both the desk top and a Samsung tablet. I believe you need both versions so you can plot tracks and waypoints on the PC and transfer them to the tablet before you leave.

It's hard to compare but here goes.....

Memory Maps have a much cleaner looking 1:25k map than the Ozi version for the Victoria map I have. I've found tracks much easier to locate and plot making it easier to follow them when you are on the move.

For Ozi, my main map is the Hema 150 set for the whole of Aus. Great for travelling the country and we used that all the time when on the Vic to WA trip. But for minor tracks in the Vic high country for example, they weren't detailed enough.

Ozi is a far easier program to use. I made a series of videos for our 4WD club showing how to create tracks and waypoint and transfer them to a tablet. Type Idlers 4WD in to the search box on Youtube and you'll find them. This is the first one.......
    Ozi Explorer is one of the best off road (and on road) mapping tools for your travels. This video explains how to create Way Points and Tracks on your PC, wh...

I found that downloading the same issue you had with Memory map and downloading that file. It didn't seem to download it completely and I had to scroll around the map on the screen to let it download each section as it needed it. Bloody pain in the arse.

So I guess it's what you want it for. Highly detailed and clean looking maps, Memory Map. Really easy interface with good maps for more general stuff, Ozi.

memory Map had a falling out with their Aussie distributor recently and I think they all come from NZ now. There aren't any maps for WA, SA and NT that I can see, so that's a definite problem.
    2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• saj
      • Aug 2010
      • Northern Nsw

Thx Ian, that was helpful. I won't have the Ozi Explorer option as I will be using an iPad... I'm glad the memory map topo maps look clean. I'm running the 2nd gen iPad with the 1:25K trial nsw topo from memory map and they look awesome. The only thing I'm worried about with Memory map is why did the AU support pull out.

Hema Explorer or ExplorOz apps look like a good option, if their support continues then i suppose i don't mind paying the yearly subscription but they don't have PC/Mac support. The good thing about memory map is no subscription once you have paid for the license and you can plot your trip from your computer.. So many apps out there to choose from ....cheers
      2006 NP VRX DiD. Dual Batts 80Amp. 2"lovells and bilsteins. Polyairs. Clic-on Ipad Holder. ARB awning

Comment

• Ian H
        Valued Member
        • May 2015
        • Melbourne

I'm not sure what happened with MM and the Aus supplier but the site went down for a couple of weeks and all we could see was a message saying they had discontinued that arrangement and would be back up again soon.

But as i said, the downside is that now there are no maps for a numbers of states but OK on the east coast.

I'm doing a lap of Tassie early next year and downloaded the trail 1:25K Tassi map which looks good too. I'd love to be able to get those maps on to Ozi, that would be ideal.

And yes, Ozi won't run on Apple software, sorry, I missed that bit in your post.
        2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• alanymarce
          • Apr 2015
          • Colombia

We're going to be doing a trip around Australia this year. We want to find a GPS map which we can load on the GPS unit (Garmin GPSMAP 64ST). We used Garmin's own maps initially however for our trip in Africa we used Tracks4Africa which is excellent. It's a *.gmapi application which is loaded on the GPS unit.

The GPS tracks are later downloaded to a MacBook Pro (Garmin Connect and Garmin Base Camp) for reference.

We also use offline maps on an iPad (ITMB pdfs and anything else we can find). So far we have never linked the GPS unit to the iPad (or the laptop) for real time navigation (perhaps we should?).

As I understand the discussion Ozi doesn't work with iPad or MacBook Pro so not an option. Memory will work but doesn't cover the whole country.

So, is there another application which will work on the GPS unit and on Apple kit?

Many thanks

Comment

• Ian H
            Valued Member
            • May 2015
            • Melbourne

Maybe the Hema App would work for you but the iPad will need to have gps functionality.

Plan, navigate and share your next adventure with Hema Explorer. Investigate where your adventure should take you with 40,000 points of interest, save multi-scale topographic mapping to your device and generate a route to navigate offline, then backup your track logs, geotagged photos and trip notes to your Hema Explorer Cloud account to remember your trip and share it online. Hema Explorer is perfect for 4WD, camping, caravanning, geocaching and other adventure activities: Navigate offline with Australia’s best multi-scale topographic mapping Use 40,000 points of interest with facility information to plan your trip and see what's around you Generate an offline route to an address, waypoint or point of interest using Quick Routing Save a log of your trip with track recordings, geotagged photos, waypoints and trip notes Backup all your trip data to your free Hema Explorer Cloud account Share your trips online with friends and family Upgrade to an Explorer Pro subscription for $49.99 a year or $9.99 a month to get additional access to: The Hema Explorer Map's most detailed map layers - zoom past the app-standard 1:150,000 max scale to an unprecedented topographic scale of 1:10,000, Australia-wide Download state government topographic maps for New South Wales, Queensland, South Australia, Victoria and Tasmania More features for the Hema Explorer Cloud: plan routes, print customised maps from home and view all facility attributes of every POI Upgrade to Pro PlanCreate your ideal adventure with Hema Explorer’s huge collection of points of interest. Find campsites, caravan parks, and rest areas to stay at during your journey, as well as 24-hour fuel locations, roadhouses, dump points, public toilets, information centres, mechanics, hospitals and more. NavigateHema Explorer gives you access to the Hema Explorer Map, a multi-scale topographic map that features our entire database of roads and 4WD tracks to guide you anywhere in Australia. With seamless Australia-wide coverage and intuitive map scaling down to 1:150k in the standard version and 1:10k in Explorer Pro, the Hema Explorer Map delivers Australia’s most comprehensive topographic mapping to your mobile device.In addition to the Hema Explorer Map, you also get access to a range of Hema regional maps (Cape York, Fraser Island, Great Desert Tracks, High Country Victoria and the Kimberley), HERE Street and Terrain mapping, as well as superseded base maps from previous versions of the app.Hema Explorer also makes navigating your adventure simpler than ever with Quick Routing. Generate a route to a specific address or point of interest to navigate your journey without the guesswork. ShareHema Explorer enables you to record your journey with track logs, geotagged photos, waypoints and trip notes, which you can automatically backup to your free Hema Explorer Cloud account. You can then post your trips to the Hema Explorer Cloud trip gallery and share them online, where friends can view them on the Hema Explorer Map or as a 3D slideshow.

Comment

• Jack ANT
              • Mar 2012
              • Shoalhaven

ExplorOz Traveller has IOS and android versions. I have both. My iPad mini was a non cell version so no GPS chip but it worked really well with a quality bluetooth GPS. Once I changed everything to android I had to re buy the maps but not the app itself. On the Samsung Tab S3 it runs really well and I would definitely recommend the app.

Comment

• alanymarce
                • Apr 2015
                • Colombia

So: we never found a Tracks 4 Africa equivalent, and ended up using the Garmin Australia Base Map on the GPS - this base map doesn't have a very good display - you can't see minor roads/tracks unless you go down to a very large scale display. Having said that, when we were navigating on remote tracks the Garmin map did have most of them. For longer range/smaller scale navigation the Garmin map isn't very useful.

We used Google Maps and Waze when we had a cellphone signal and they were generally OK.

We did use maps.me (based on a recommendation in a post which I now cannot find) and this was excellent. This was loaded on the phone and was fine. For the next rip we may get an "add-on" GPS device for the iPad, which will give us a larger display than the phone, however the phone was OK and maps.me became the principal tool for navigation in more remote areas.

Comment

• Dicko1
                  Valued Member
                  • Dec 2014
                  • Cairns, FNQ

I have Memory Map, Ozi Explorer, Hema and traveller. It would be great if they could work together and make the users experience seamless. All have pros and cons. I use a 10 inch samsung tablet in the Paj. Carry a laptop with windows 10 pro as well. Main pc at home is great for planning, preparing routes, waypoints. I,d love a high resolution 10 inch tablet that ran windows (SSD card naturally) and I,d probably run Hema for windows with a variety of maps. I find the Memory Map 1:36,000 handy for my area..Nth Qld.
                  Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• Ian H
                    Valued Member
                    • May 2015
                    • Melbourne

I've given Memory map the flick and use Ozi Explorer exclusively now that free maps are available in 1:25K and even higher res in some areas.

I found Memory Map too cumbersome and they have had issues with the Australian distribution licence which hasn't helped.

Hema is virtually useless in the Vic high country with maps only at 1:150K, unless you want to pay their annual subscription for anything better, which I chose not to do.

If you haven't seen the free maps, check out http://www.getlost.com.au/downloads/

And if you get some maps, consider leaving a donation via the contact page.

Comment

• cruisn06
                      Valued Member
                      • Jan 2011
                      • Perth WA

I used Hema maps in my time in Oz, but now use Pocket earth for all my offorad adventures. you download each country as required. works very well.
                      07 Mitsubishi Pajero Shorty - Currently rolling around... Parked in Armenia for the moment

Insta: https://www.instagram.com/wrongturnadventure/

Comment

• jaffles
                        Valued Member
                        • Nov 2020
                        • Tamborine Mountain

Interesting thread and glad I found it.

Thanks cruisn, have just downloaded Pocket Earth and so far so good. I'm thinking I have my phone with me 24/7, god battery life, and its small.. Great zoomable 1:25000 detail for bush walks and enough map for the car. Global to so that's exciting. Using the Wikipedia function I found our first forgotten stop on our soon to be trip. I paid the $10 for the app to remove marketing I assume, and paid the $7 to download maps. Don't think I can do better than that to be honest.

I'm so out of date I'd much prefer paper maps, but conceded you need a heap of them and they are getting hard to find these days. But when we did the Madigan I was supreme while the others digital failed. haha

Have had Memory Map and though loved the 1:25000 where you could get them or wanted to pay for them, it was always never an easy process for me. Desk to to iPad, then this big thing flopping around the dash.

I found this thread looking for clarity of Ozi Explorer, and if it works on the OE radio display. Not sure of Hema's connection to them but Hema are nothing to rave about I feel.

So happy days form left field. Pocket Maps hey. As usual no instructions just time fiddling to workout out. Time for a coffee and some me time.

Comment

• Jasonmc73
                          Valued Member
                          • Jun 2019
                          • Brisbane

Originally posted by jaffles View Post
                          Interesting thread and glad I found it.

Thanks cruisn, have just downloaded Pocket Earth and so far so good. I'm thinking I have my phone with me 24/7, god battery life, and its small.. Great zoomable 1:25000 detail for bush walks and enough map for the car. Global to so that's exciting. Using the Wikipedia function I found our first forgotten stop on our soon to be trip. I paid the $10 for the app to remove marketing I assume, and paid the $7 to download maps. Don't think I can do better than that to be honest.

I'm so out of date I'd much prefer paper maps, but conceded you need a heap of them and they are getting hard to find these days. But when we did the Madigan I was supreme while the others digital failed. haha

Have had Memory Map and though loved the 1:25000 where you could get them or wanted to pay for them, it was always never an easy process for me. Desk to to iPad, then this big thing flopping around the dash.

I found this thread looking for clarity of Ozi Explorer, and if it works on the OE radio display. Not sure of Hema's connection to them but Hema are nothing to rave about I feel.

So happy days form left field. Pocket Maps hey. As usual no instructions just time fiddling to workout out. Time for a coffee and some me time.
                          Jaffles dumb question time, but this app obviously the maps are stored on phone & its using GPS???

My point being i presume don't require phone reception obviously?
                          Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

• Jasonmc73
                            Valued Member
                            • Jun 2019
                            • Brisbane

This might help me & others

In my nav gear video I talked about this app as my fav hiking app, after that I had a look around for videos on the app incase someone might want to try and ...
                            Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

• Ian H
                              Valued Member
                              • May 2015
                              • Melbourne

I find anything on a phone too small to read map info while driving the tracks and give me all the iformation I want like upcoming waypoints etc.
                              An 8" tablet is about as small as I like to go.

With free high res mas available online, Ozi Explorer is by far the best in my opinion.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X