• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jonos
    • Nov 2013
    • New Zealand

Cheap Ebay snorkels.

Anyone had any experience with the cheaper Ebay snorkels like what is listed here?: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mitsubishi-P...a41c57&vxp=mtr

Just wondering what the fitment of these cheaper snorkels is like. $70 is bloody cheap, does not include postage though.
  • offroaddad
    • Nov 2013
    • Perth

Couple of things, firstly it's fibreglass not HDPE, painted in matt black without full accessories, with a fibreglass template. Why spend dollars making a fibreglass template????
    I bought a cheapy in HDPE and found the fitment so bad I wasn't game to put it on the car.
    Found a $200 set locally and no prob's. I certainly wasn't keen to spend the bigbucks on a Safari etc.
    Best bet, go find a reasonably priced one in a local shop and open up the package and see how the moulding fits together.
    Afterall, it's just your engine that's going to cop it.
    Haha, best of luck.
    Offroaddad.

Comment

• littleriver
      Valued Member
      • Jan 2013
      • Queensland

Suppose at the end of the day " You get what you pay for "
      2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) Safari Snorkel, OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch light bar on ECB Nudge bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T (116S), Uniden Dash cam, Oricom 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Comment

• blueby
        • Jul 2010
        • Sydney

Just fitted a $99 delivered snorkel from ebay (RV_Tek) and was impressed with it. All the bolts and studs were stainless. The pattern was only 10 mill out. The cast adapter for the inside gaurd was well cast and the correct size. The instructions were simple and well set out. The snorkel itself feels like its made out of the same stuff s the safari snorkel on the landcruiser. The only negative thing I would say about it is that where the swarf and joint was cleaned up is a little messy. The fitment is absolutely perfect and matches all body lines. I cannot say how many years it will last for, but I could replace it every 2 years for the next 10 years and still cost me less than the safari.
        Last edited by blueby; 27-01-14, 03:37 PM.

Comment

• geopaj
          Valued Member
          • Jul 2007
          • Adelaide

Originally posted by Jonos View Post
          Anyone had any experience with the cheaper Ebay snorkels like what is listed here?: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mitsubishi-P...a41c57&vxp=mtr

Just wondering what the fitment of these cheaper snorkels is like. $70 is bloody cheap, does not include postage though.
          Hi,

I have fitted an "eBay snorkel" to my NL. I found the snorkel fitted the body well but the plumbing between the snorkel and the air box did not fit and had to be discarded (easy enough to make though). I can remember the seller, sorry.

The snorkel in your link is US$76 plus US $46 postage (total US$122) and, as mentioned above, is made of fibreglass (bad).

Snorkels can be bought for less from local Australian sellers for less than AU$100 including delivery which are made of LLDPE (better than fibreglass). Unfortunately, the seller I bought mine from appears to no longer sell them but here is a couple I found...

IE

Or

You might find this thread interesting too...
          Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')

Comment

• Jonos
            • Nov 2013
            • New Zealand

Hey thanks for the replys guys. The link to the thread on here has answered all my questions.

Comment

• offroaddad
              • Nov 2013
              • Perth

Hey Jonos
              Make sure you start fitting it from the airbox first.
              Those oscillation cutting tools from bunnings really help but the blades on metal don't last too long.
              And as above, don't trust the template.
              I found drilling a small hole through the fender just to help do a final fit before making the larger hole helped me stress less as it's hard to trust your lining up on the inside of the fender - where it is hard to see.
              Also popped a rivet through the inside of the airbox into the side of the air tube to stop it breaking away from the airbox.
              Silicone the crap out of everything.
              Have Fun

Comment

• NFT5
                Valued Member
                • Apr 2011
                • Canberra

Don't write off the fibreglass ones, fellas. I had one on my Triton and never had a problem with it. Installation was a breeze with a fibreglass template which was much easier than paper. Only problem was that that particular one didn't come with the flexible join to the airbox but that was easily solved with a second hand CV joint boot.
                Chris

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                Working...
                X