• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AJW52
    • Nov 2015
    • Perth

Effect of Load On Fuelling Up

Has anyone had a problem taking on a maximum load of diesel at the start of a trip? I have been unable to completely fill the tank a couple of times now. While loaded up with three adults, two spares and the usual gear I would estimate that I was under GVM. When the load was later reduced it was possible to fill right up. Any thoughts?
    Cheers
    Andrew
  • Pwoffey
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2013
    • Adelaide

It is not uncommon to have difficulty filling the fuel tank completely in a Paj if it is nose up at the bowser. (You don't state what type of vehicle you have - I'm not sure if other Mits models have the same problem.) Were you on the same level ground at both times of filling? Or perhaps the cargo load itself was sufficient to make the Paj nose up. I have the same problem with both the OEM tank and the LRA auxiliary tank. It's especially bad if I'm towing due to the extra ball weight on the rear.
    BY13/MY14 Pajero NW GLX Auto, Cooper ST Maxx, factory towbar, Drifta drawers, SmartBar, Airtec snorkel, Koni Raid 90 front, Dobinson IMLrear shocks with Kings 34-HD springs front, 35-EHD rear, Brown Davis i/c, sump and transmission bash plates, Piranha diff breathers, Fuel Manager pre-filter, LRA 81L auxiliary fuel tank, Piranha steel battery tray, Sherpa 9500 lb winch, HPD catch can, LockUp Mate, Harrop front e-locker, DBA T3 rotors and Xtreme pads, Mark's 4WD reduction gears

Comment

• spot01
      Valued Member
      • Apr 2011
      • Adelaide

The Gen 4 Paj needs to be perfectly level (or nose down) to fill properly. If you look underneath you will see why - the tank is quite long with the filler at the rear.

If you can find a bowser where you can park slightly nose down you will find it takes more fuel than when level. This should overcome the effect of your "tail down" aspect preventing a full fill. If you can't find a "nose down" bowser, options include taking a couple of bits of wood plank to drive the rear wheels onto or beef up the rear suspension to keep it level when loaded (a good idea if you travel a lot like this).
      Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
      Working...
      X