Member 1228 Pajero Club

Comment

• nj swb
      Resident
      • Jun 2007
      • Adelaide

Originally posted by Pickle View Post
      Yeah, hanging out for them
      If you accept the assertion that speed kills then these new speed cameras are evidence that our elected officials are doing something positive.

Of course, given that this isn't the first step they've taken to crack down on speed, and despite all their earlier efforts to crack down on speeding the road toll has gone up this year, maybe somebody should question if speed is really as significant a contributor to the road toll as we are expected to believe.

Maybe there are other contributors that are overwhelming the speed factor? Congestion, drunk driving, drugged driving, driver arrogance and aggression, poor driving standards, poor enforcement (or non-enforcement) of too many other road rules?

Too hard.

Let's be seen to be doing something. We'll spend more money on more sophisticated technology to enable more aggressive enforcement of a reduced tolerance to speed limits. It hasn't been working for a while, but that's only because we haven't been aggressive enough.

Aggression and intolerance. That's what we need from our police.
      NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Pickle
        Administrator
        • Jun 2007
        • All over Oz

I'm over the pros and cons of these things but you have to wonder when they drop the tolerance from 3 kph to 2 kph to meet expected revenue they predicted for the year if they are about road safety. 99% of Melburnians know where the fixed cameras are and slow down around them then go nuts after that. The road toll is high this year here and totally unacceptable but how many are related to being above the speed limit
        NX Pampas Cat GLS MY16
        Member 1228 Pajero Club

Comment

• Jasonmc73
          Valued Member
          • Jun 2019
          • Brisbane

LOL

I absolutley agree speed does kill, granted.

But cameras are a exceptional revenue raising tool.
          QLD is broke & geez we have been getting so road safe alright, camera's going in everywhere!
          It is all about "road safety"

1 billion in 3 years this one says in Victoria

Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

• Merts
            Valued Member
            • Nov 2011
            • Bendigo Vic

Speed is undeniably a factor in causing accidents, and it's THE main factor in severity of damage and injury. That's just basic physics. If you don't want to get speeding fines, maybe consider the option of slowing down a bit?
            Merts
            Impulse Blue 2015 MQ Triton GLS Auto

ARB Summit front & rear bars and side steps, Carryboy canopy and rack, Safari Snorkel, VRS 9500 winch, Gecko 16x7 rims with BFG 245/75r16 KM3s, Uniden 8080s UHF, Darche 270 awning
            Dobinson heavy duty suspension, Harrop rear Elocker, Supertrim Neoprene Seat Covers, Drifta drawers, MSA drop slide, dual battery system and ARB onboard compressor. National Campers Hermit.

Previously a Gunmetal 2007 NS VRX DiD Auto

Comment

• Terryo
              Valued Member
              • Jul 2007
              • Where ever we are parked, traveling full time

This is why we stay away from Victoria as much as possible when travelling around. One day the powers to be will figured out that when you drive it is much better to watch the road than be constantly watching your speedo. Maybe then the road toll will come down.
              Also if speed kills how come NT can have unlimited speed zones. People must instantly vaporise.
              2015 NX GLX DiD,MM Steel bullbar, Ultimate Suspension 2” lift, King 9’ LED driving lights, Uniden UHF, TJM underbody protection, Engine Watchdog. Munji EGR delete cable.Dual battery. Ultra Guage, Fuel Manager primary fuel filter. KAON Cargo barrier. Drifta drawer and fridge slide. MM4x4 Automate Pro. In tow,Track Trailer T van.

Previously
              NH 1992 GLS 3.0 V6 13 years
              NP 2005 GLX 3.2 DiD 12 years

Comment

• Jasonmc73
                Valued Member
                • Jun 2019
                • Brisbane

Originally posted by Merts View Post
                Speed is undeniably a factor in causing accidents, and it's THE main factor in severity of damage and injury. That's just basic physics. If you don't want to get speeding fines, maybe consider the option of slowing down a bit?
                Actually aged 46 i've never had a speeding fine.

Merley pointing out the correlation between "road safety" speed cameras & the states coffers

Fantastic that vehicles have improved in the area of safety over the years & helped bring down the road tolls, although unfortunate that younger drivers generally drive the oldest vehicles.

& the real bad bugger speeding drivers don't have to even stop or slow down for the fine!! Just come in the mail, as long as their Rego plates are legit of course

Having almost zero tolerance at cameras must make them super safe now then?
                This is great news, can't wait too see the statistics as this is good news for everyone, no room for error, 2 k's over could kill!

This is what we think of them up here in QLD

Last edited by Jasonmc73; 12-12-19, 09:07 PM.
                Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

• pharb
                  Valued Member
                  • Jul 2007
                  • Tyers,Vic

Amazes me how many people can't actually watch the road and their speed at the same time, and seem to think that to drive safely you have to watch the road only and inadvertently, volunteerily contribute to state revenue.

Are these the same people who brag about how quiet their new car is ".......and I looked down at the speedo and found I was traveling along at 130km/h"?

PCOV Member 1107.
                  Daily driver NX GLX
                  Semi retired NL GLS 3.5 (no airbags) in almost prestine condition to replace NJ.
                  Virtually fully retired NJ 2.8TD
                  Previously - NB LWB, NA SWB.

Comment

• disco stu
                    Valued Member
                    • Dec 2018
                    • Wollongong

I agree, to a point. With something like 10%leeway, yes i can easily pick if i go over what I was doing before, but at 2km/hr I can easily drift over that without knowing if I'm not watching the speedo carefully-dip in the road etc.

Take roads in NZ where I am right now (same in Tassie). On rural roads there is a generous speed limit and you do what you're comfortable with under that. On most roads I've found I wouldn't want to go over that limit to be driving comfortably. Some 100km/hr roads here on south island would be 60 back home. I'm intrigued about the crash stats compared to nsw. But they also let people hunt in national parks.......

Comment

• Pushbike
                      • Jun 2017
                      • Sydney

Do speed vs drag curves exist for the Pajero body.
                      Have a look at this site, https://www.automobile-catalog.com/m...3_5d/2017.html
                      Reason for this comment: The faster you go the greater the cost ( potential or actual).
                      My arbitrary preferred max. speed is 90 km/Hr. Makes a lot of B doubles unhappy.

Ok so I'm bored or something but to follow up on above re drag.

Lets say the drag coefficient for the Pajero is 0.42 and the drag area is 2.89 sqm.
                      DragxArea is 0.42x2.89 = 1.2138
                      Force to over come drag,Drag Force, is 0.5xAir DensityxDragAreaxSpeedxSpeed
                      assume Air Density=1
                      then Drag Force for
                      50Km/Hr: =0.5x1x1.2138x50x50 = 1517.25 (ignore the Units as this is a comparative evaluation)
                      90Km/Hr: =0.5x1x1.2138x90x90 = 4915.89
                      100Km/Hr: =0.5x1x1.2138x100x100 = 6069
                      110Km/Hr: =0.5x1x1.2138x110x110 = 7343.49
                      What does this mean? Well if you drive an ex factory Pajero with no add ons like roof racks bull bars etc the energy to overcome drag force is proportional to your speed as follows:
                      110 vs 50 is 7343.49/1517.25 = 4.84 more energy(fuel) required.
                      110 vs 100 is 7343.49/6069 = 1.21 more energy
                      110 vs 90 is 7343.49/4915.89 = 1.49 more energy

So while stressing you wallet with a fine for exceeding the speed limit your adding a further impost from fuel consumption all because of a few minutes/hours in your lifetime.
                      Besides most drivers can't control of any vehicle suffering a failure such as a tyre blow out or other emergency at speed.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Pushbike; 16-12-19, 07:54 AM. Reason: More info.correct error
                      Pajero NX GLX MY17, OEM Rubber mats, OEM Towbar and tongue, After market Rev. Sensors, MSA4x4 seat covers, OEM nudge bar.

Remember the science demonstration of a table covered with mouse traps loaded with ping pong balls and the teacher drops a ping pong ball into the middle.
                      Well, the ball has been dropped.

Comment

• dean
                        Valued Member
                        • Jul 2007

Regardless of their motivation, the facts are they are there.
                        I have 4 cars and 1 motorbike....all speedos are about 5-10% out.
                        In simple terms if the speedo says 60, i'm doing obviously less.
                        I'd be surprised if i'm the only one.
                        Stick to the speed limit and you'll be right.

Governments will look for any way of raising money. I'd rather speeding drivers pay it. The alternative is taxes are increased and we all pay.
                        Dean
                        Last edited by dean; 13-12-19, 09:37 AM.
                        NM V6 since August 2000. Cargo Barrier, Satphone, Decent Suspension, Decent Tyres Eg. Any 10 PLY E Load Brand Not Important. Aux Tank, Rola Sports Racks/Basket, Decent Canvas Bag, Quality Esky. A Good Setup For Outback Touring/Desert Crossings.

Comment

• Pushbike
                          • Jun 2017
                          • Sydney

I've updated my post re Drag vs Speed
                          Pajero NX GLX MY17, OEM Rubber mats, OEM Towbar and tongue, After market Rev. Sensors, MSA4x4 seat covers, OEM nudge bar.

Remember the science demonstration of a table covered with mouse traps loaded with ping pong balls and the teacher drops a ping pong ball into the middle.
                          Well, the ball has been dropped.

Comment

• haggis
                            • Jun 2007

I would question th eassertion that ‘speed kills’. It should be more along the lines of inappropriate speed kills.

I am a volunteer road rescue operator and attend around 30 to 50 road crashes each year. In most of those, inattention, drugs and alcohol are the main contributors to the crash. Of the fatals I have attended this year, speed has been a factor in 2 of them. In one (which was a suicide) the speed was a factor, as was the drivers intent and the fact there wasnt a seatbelt being used. In the other, the driver fell asleep while speeding. In this case, the driver would still most likely have been deceased whether he was doing the speed limit or not.

In my opinion and experience, cameras are revenue raising. Police cars travelling up and down highways are far more effective. And could enforce other poor behaviours on the road such as keeping left unless overtaking, phone use, poorly maintained vehicles, and general poor attitudes and arrogant behaviours. Cameras, however, are cheaper to install and create a positive revenue stream.

Reducing speed limits, actually increases the risk of fatigue. Fatigued drivers have a risk equal to or higher than someone driving while over the BAC limit, or while under the influence of hallucinogenic drugs.

Better driver education and more rigorous testing of drivers should be another high priority.

Haggis.
                            92 NH GLS Pirahna dual battery system, Lightforce Blitz240 hid spots, cibie spreads, Bilstiens each corner, Lovells rear coils, custom drawer system, ARB roofrack, side awning, ARB twin jerry holder, MSA drop slide, GME TX3440, custom wiring harness for second battery.

Comment

• Hatto
                              Valued Member
                              • Nov 2013
                              • Mandurah WA

Originally posted by haggis View Post
                              I would question th eassertion that ‘speed kills’. It should be more along the lines of inappropriate speed kills.

I am a volunteer road rescue operator and attend around 30 to 50 road crashes each year. In most of those, inattention, drugs and alcohol are the main contributors to the crash. Of the fatals I have attended this year, speed has been a factor in 2 of them. In one (which was a suicide) the speed was a factor, as was the drivers intent and the fact there wasnt a seatbelt being used. In the other, the driver fell asleep while speeding. In this case, the driver would still most likely have been deceased whether he was doing the speed limit or not.

In my opinion and experience, cameras are revenue raising. Police cars travelling up and down highways are far more effective. And could enforce other poor behaviours on the road such as keeping left unless overtaking, phone use, poorly maintained vehicles, and general poor attitudes and arrogant behaviours. Cameras, however, are cheaper to install and create a positive revenue stream.

Reducing speed limits, actually increases the risk of fatigue. Fatigued drivers have a risk equal to or higher than someone driving while over the BAC limit, or while under the influence of hallucinogenic drugs.

Better driver education and more rigorous testing of drivers should be another high priority.

Haggis.
                              I completely agree.
                              Cheers, Hatto

2012 NW GLS Diesel Auto with:
                              ARB delux bar, full length Ocam ally roof rack with rear LED work light, dual batteries, DIY rear ally drawers with fridge slide, 2" lift oztec/kings, Polyairs, Kings awning 2.5 x 2.5m with LED strip light, pair of genr8 40w LED spot/flood driving lights, iron man 4x4 22" LED light bar, mounted thumper compressor, 70L water tank & 12v pump, 120w solar, LED interior lights, Boo Boo's bash plates, Safari snorkel and Grande mk lll 12000lb winch.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X