• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Techedz
    • Aug 2019
    • South Canberra

New panel to replace the silly cigarette lighter and card section

So I removed the stupid flip-down cig lighter panel and card holder and replaced it with a cool panel I made on the laser and fitted an $18 fleebay Din1 tray. Waiting for my switches to arrive, then I can wire it all up to finish it.

I can see a market for these for NW owners! I could do custom labels and plug fittings. Mine is designed for 16mm switches from fleebay and uses the factory cigarette lighter and a spare commondore one I had lying around. I'll post a photo of it in the car when i get it all re-installed.

NW 2012 Pajero Exceed 3.2 Diesel, 18" Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs offroad / Coopers Discoverers onroad; 66 Mustang Convertible; Suzuki M109R 1800, DR650 Dirt bike.
  • cruisn06
    Valued Member
    • Jan 2011
    • Perth WA

nice work man, that is a dead spot in the wagon for sure.
    07 Mitsubishi Pajero Shorty - Currently rolling around... Parked in Armenia for the moment

Insta: https://www.instagram.com/wrongturnadventure/

Comment

• m_and_m
      Valued Member
      • Mar 2010
      • Tea Tree Gully, Adelaide

Nice work. One of the cig sockets could be replaced with USB outlets, or maybe in the NX relocate the ones in glovebox that connect to the display.
      2016 NX Exceed 3.2 DiD, BullBar | 2" OME lift | Safari snorkel | UHF | Towbar | Tow pro elite ECB | Full Bushskinz UBP and side steps | HID highbeam upgrade | 9" LED spots | 100Ahr Aux. Battery | HPD Oil catch can | Flappy Paddles | auto-matePRO
      2016 LC200 Sahara V8 Diesel,Lots of Mods too
      Checkout our products at MM4x4 http://www.mm4x4.com.au auto-mate and lockup-mate for Mitsubishi's and Toyota's

Comment

• Skinny03
        • Jun 2019
        • Christchurch, New Zealand

Side note: How did you get that plastic shroud removed? I have a switch blank, where your diff locker switch is, I want to install a USB charge port into.

Comment

• Techedz
          • Aug 2019
          • South Canberra

Originally posted by Skinny03 View Post
          Side note: How did you get that plastic shroud removed? I have a switch blank, where your diff locker switch is, I want to install a USB charge port into.
          Good question, I intend to do a write-up as the only console / lower dash centre instructions I could find were for earlier models or Tritons. It's easier to explain with the help of pictures but here's a quick word version.

This is from memory, when I put it all back over the next few days I'll document it properly with pictures.

I already had the centre console stripped but looking at how this bit comes out i think you can leave the centre console in place. I'm putting my remote mounted UHF under the centre console bracket with an extension lead and plug to the panel I made in the old cigarette lighter panel.

You have to remove the dash trim ends (just flip them out but leave in place). Then remove the big trim pieces that run vertically across the dash because there are screws behind them for the glovebox etc (just pull them out firmly).

Remove the panel under the steering wheel (I think it was held in with 2 x 10 mm bolts from memory).

Remove the glovebox (6 screws) and let it hang down.

You should then see a screw on top of each side of the centre section. Remove these and pull it firmly out (it's held in by four clips). Don't try to pull it right out, at this point I used a stuby screwdriver to remove the tray (I think?) so I could get down the back of it to unplug the heater and diff lock switches.

These are a couple of pics I took but I'll post a proper word doc for printing with step by step instructions and pics later in the week.
          I'll take a lot more pics.

NW 2012 Pajero Exceed 3.2 Diesel, 18" Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs offroad / Coopers Discoverers onroad; 66 Mustang Convertible; Suzuki M109R 1800, DR650 Dirt bike.

Comment

• Techedz
            • Aug 2019
            • South Canberra

Originally posted by m_and_m View Post
            Nice work. One of the cig sockets could be replaced with USB outlets, or maybe in the NX relocate the ones in glovebox that connect to the display.
            All covered.
            I have 3 pairs of USB plugs on either side. Also adding a double up on the dash near the speaker for the gps and phone and one up in the back of the overhead light for a dash cam so I don't have lots of cables going across the dash and windscreen. I like it tidy. All going to a dedicated fuse panel.

I'll do a writeup with pics when it's done this week.

Comment

• KeithN
              • Dec 2018
              • Perth WA

Impressive, well done mate.
              Cheers
              Keith

2017 NX GLS, Nudge Bar with 9" LED spotties, Tow Bar, 2" Lift Kit & airbags, Redarc Elec Brake Controller, Redarc Charger & dual Batteries, Rhino Platform Rack, KAP Industries fire extinguisher mounted front seat and Cooper AT3 tyres

Comment

• signo1985
                • Sep 2017
                • Perth

Yeah impressive job man!

For the non savvy when it comes to auto electrical....where do all those cable need to go?
                Are you tapping into adjoining wires....straight into the fuse box?
                Wouldn't mind doing something similar in the future.

Comment

• Mike DiD
                  Valued Member
                  • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Edzhere View Post
                  If I had put USB sockets in the Passengers Foot Compartment, the plugs would have been broken off within an hour of the starting the first long trip.
                  Mike R. Sydney. Pajero GLS NX Silver Jan15. DiD Auto. STILL grossly disappointed with the errors in Speed Limits on major roads in my TomTom.

Comment

• Jimbo2
                    Valued Member
                    • Dec 2012
                    • Bendigo

Nice job!
                    2013 NW GLX-R Factory Locker, TC mod,Dual Battery, 240V inverter, Anderson Plug, Fire Extinguisher. GME TX3500 UHF Radio, MM Alloy Bar, ORU 12000lb Winch,EGR mod, Fancy wheels, 33" Pirelli ATR Tyres, LRA Aux tank, Custom bash plates & Rock sliders, Ultra Gauge, ARB Compressor, LED Light bar, little mods around the cabin. Kings Std Ratecoils & Ultimate Shocks, Firestone HP airbags, Airteck Snorkel, Hema 6. Towing: Starcraft outback

Comment

• Jack ANT
                      • Mar 2012
                      • Shoalhaven

Yep definitely a market, so how much would the lighter socket plate cost? Cause I'd be keen to replace the crap single lighter thing with a plate that has 2 lighter sockets and 2 USB sockets.

Comment

• Gravel Seeker
                        • Apr 2019
                        • Norway

Originally posted by Edzhere View Post
                        So I removed the stupid flip-down cig lighter panel and card holder and replaced it with a cool panel I made on the laser and fitted an $18 fleebay Din1 tray. Waiting for my switches to arrive, then I can wire it all up to finish it.

I can see a market for these for NW owners! I could do custom labels and plug fittings. Mine is designed for 16mm switches from fleebay and uses the factory cigarette lighter and a spare commondore one I had lying around. I'll post a photo of it in the car when i get it all re-installed.

Nice job. About to add some switches myself and have been wondering about how to go about it so this is great. Will use cat5 network cable as it's cheap and easy 6-lead-in-one-cable to feed switched power to the relay panel

Comment

• Techedz
                          • Aug 2019
                          • South Canberra

Originally posted by Gravel Seeker View Post

Nice job. About to add some switches myself and have been wondering about how to go about it so this is great. Will use cat5 network cable as it's cheap and easy 6-lead-in-one-cable to feed switched power to the relay panel
                          I hid a little ebay fuse panel under the console so I can get to fuses easily if any blow. The top lifts off easily to get to them (just need a Phillips to remove the auto gear lever).

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X