• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Terrence
    • Nov 2019
    • Sydney

4m40 Dohc swap

Hey guys!

Totally new to the forum world but I thought I’d give it a crack anyway.

I’ve got a 4m40 motor sitting here completely rebuild on a stand. I was about to stick the head on when out of curiosity, I found the 4m41 head gaskets to be very very similar. Digging a little deeper it would seem the early 4m41 runs the same injector pump timing gear as it’s older 4m40 brother.

So my question to you all is:

Has anyone tried this head swap before? Is it doable? Will the 4m40 block handle the new direct injection setup?

Failing that my next step would be a ported 4m40 head
    Last edited by Terrence; 23-11-19, 09:22 AM. Reason: Typo
  • Meth'd_up_Mitsi
    • Nov 2019
    • Caboolture

This is something that I've been considering for my stage 3 setup.. as I eventually want to go to a compound turbo arrangement. But with the non-crossflow configuration of the 4M40 it makes this very hard as far as space is concerned.

Sent from my CPH1903 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Dongskie2
      • Dec 2016
      • Manila & Berwick

How about the injectors?

A 16v 4M40 would be sweet
      Last edited by Dongskie2; 27-11-19, 07:39 AM.
      Nothing beats Doing It Yourself.... Tuned 4M40 and 4D56T WIP

Comment

• jrmc47
        • Jul 2011
        • Wonthaggi

Hi all... I know this is off topic... But I heard a whisper that Delica garage is working on fitting 4m41 3.2 with manual injector pump 👀
        NL Pajero gls.. TJM pro locker...front LOKKA...full reco 4M40 manual ...rear drawers ..ARB bullbar...Kings awning..Kings 9" led lights...Kings lightbar...1200lb winch...75 litre Evakool Fridge...agm second battery...DRL's....40 channel UHF....2 x 128 Channel UHF / VHF Handhelds...Kings recovery gear...Thumper compresser...ARB locker compressor

Comment

• Muzza
          Valued Member
          • Jul 2007
          • Nsw

Originally posted by Terrence View Post
          Hey guys!

Totally new to the forum world but I thought I’d give it a crack anyway.

I’ve got a 4m40 motor sitting here completely rebuild on a stand. I was about to stick the head on when out of curiosity, I found the 4m41 head gaskets to be very very similar. Digging a little deeper it would seem the early 4m41 runs the same injector pump timing gear as it’s older 4m40 brother.

So my question to you all is:

Has anyone tried this head swap before? Is it doable? Will the 4m40 block handle the new direct injection setup?

Failing that my next step would be a ported 4m40 head
          The pistons will have to be changed as the 4m41 has combustion bowl in piston where as the 4m40 is indirect with combustion chamber in head,
          Muzza
          2014 NW VRX , Alloy ECB bar, Poly air bags, EGR fixed. EDS scan gauge, lockup mate.
          2003 NP DID GLS retired and gone to a good home
          2007 21' Lotus spirit caravan

LH Torana

Comment

• Kingmarz
            Valued Member
            • Dec 2016
            • South Island New Zealand

Nothing is interchangeable between the 4m40 and 4m41 engines. Don’t bother wasting your time trying to build a lesser motor than the 4m41.
            02 NM Pajero 3.2 DID Auto with Snorkel, Turbosmart Dual Stage Boost Controller, Kinugawa 15T Hybrid turbo with 56mm Billet compressor wheel and extended tips, 2” lift, 3” straight through turbo back exhaust, EGR Removal, ECU Piggyback Chip, Raw Nitro shockies, 22” Black Rhino wheels & 33x12.5 mud tyres, EGT, boost and engine temp gauges, catch can, Synergy 4b Ronbox, K&N air filter, 320x300 Front mount intercooler with 3” polished inlet piping, 4 Bar MAP sensor @29psi many other mods

Comment

• cruisn06
              Valued Member
              • Jan 2011
              • Perth WA

Originally posted by jrmc47 View Post
              Hi all... I know this is off topic... But I heard a whisper that Delica garage is working on fitting 4m41 3.2 with manual injector pump 👀
              And they got it running, I seent it in video from a contact who I will not mention.
              07 Mitsubishi Pajero Shorty - Currently rolling around... Parked in Armenia for the moment

Insta: https://www.instagram.com/wrongturnadventure/

Comment

• jrmc47
                • Jul 2011
                • Wonthaggi

Okey dokey then ...have been doing some reading up and trolling the web
                this is what i came up with...pardon my punctuation..I lose my train of thought easily

This is what actually led me down this path

it seems that there may be another way to get a crossflow DOHC head on the 4m40...
                that is to use a head off a 4m42 which is a 3 ltr has the same bore size as the 4m40 as far as i can see just stroke is different so use the 4m42 crank as well
                dont know about the water and oil galleries
                \so I was thinking that you could use the electronic injector pump from a delica (or a european paj) or the one from the canter that the 3.0 comes from

the 4m42 aot is 3 litre and has 7 KW and 78 NM on the 3.2 at lower revs for the torque

4M42-AOT - 2977 cc. Another 4 cylinder with dohc, direct injection, a Bosch VP44 rotary injection pump with electronic control, turbocharging and intercooling. With EGR they complied to Euro 3 and were equipped to the Canter from 09/2001 performing 92 kW at 3200 rpm and 294 Nm at 1800 rpm. Starting from 10/2007 the engine was modified to common rail injection, VNT charging and a Diesel particulate filter was added to meet Euro 4. On the Canter they were replaced by the 4P10 in 07/2009.
                The above was hijacked from here

it looks like a lot of work though
                maybe would be simpler to do a 4m42 swap IMHO
                maybe the smart ppl out there might know a lot better than me...I am happy to be wrong

Last edited by jrmc47; 30-11-19, 06:43 PM. Reason: adding pix
                NL Pajero gls.. TJM pro locker...front LOKKA...full reco 4M40 manual ...rear drawers ..ARB bullbar...Kings awning..Kings 9" led lights...Kings lightbar...1200lb winch...75 litre Evakool Fridge...agm second battery...DRL's....40 channel UHF....2 x 128 Channel UHF / VHF Handhelds...Kings recovery gear...Thumper compresser...ARB locker compressor

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                Working...
                X