• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Woollybutt
    • Apr 2017
    • Katherine NT

V5AWF NW auto transmission fluid flush

Just wanted to post a few things from doing a trans fluid flush...couldn't seem to find much NW specific.

Used approx 15L of Penrite Full Synthetic ATF LV. Looking up the Penrite website and going to the specs of that fluid gives you the information you need. Bought a 20L drum for $175 from Repco.

Bought a filter and gasket kit on eBay, fitted perfectly, was around $60 from memory.

I supported the drivetrain with an axle stand under the dynamic damper (black metal bracket that sits around the tail shaft entry to the transfer case), removed crossmember and insulator assembly to get to the trans pan.

Drained and removed trans pan, cleaned up pan including the 4 magnets, removed and replaced the filter (torqued to 10Nm) make sure your O ring is present, replaced pan with new gasket, torqued the 20 pan bolts to 7Nm (the older Pajeros needed 11Nm, be careful not to get caught out by this like I did), replaced and torqued drain plug with new gasket, filled trans pan till coming out of the overflow plug, put overflow plug back in (no need to torque at this stage as you'll be removing it a few times)

Removed intercooler bash plate, disconnected U shaped hose on drivers side between bottom of radiator and trans cooler pipe (take note that the trans pumps its fluid from that pipe...seems obvious but the concrete under my car says otherwise ). The alternative is to disconnect the other hose running between the trans cooler and the return trans pipe (immediately adjacent the above mentioned U shaped hose), this way you will flush your cooler at the same time. Pop a container of some sort under your disconnected hose so you don't redecorate your driveway keeping in mind the fluid comes out with a bit of pressure...similar to a household tap.

Trans in P, handbrake on, start engine, idle only, trans will empty its pan in approx 10-20 seconds, you will know this because you will start getting air coming out with the fluid, turn engine off immediately. Fill your trans with fresh fluid till it comes out of the overflow plug and repeat this paragraph. Keep doing this until you are happy that your fluid coming out of the cooler is the same colour as that which you are putting into your trans.

Reinstate your trans cooler pipe/hose assembly, make sure your trans pan has oil in it as described above.
    Reinstate your crossmember assembly, torque all bolts and nuts and remove your drivetrain support ie axle stand or whatever you used.

Now you need to check the level is correct.
    Go to the following:

Select section 23C-AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION<V5AWF>, On vehicle service, essential service, A/T fluid check.

Now, if you're like me, you probably won't have an M.U.T-lll (whatever that is) so scroll down the page and follow instructions for checking your trans fluid level.

A couple of notes corresponding with the workshop manual:
    Note 1. The diagnosis connector is in your cabin above your left foot and is actually marked with the numbers 1,8,9,16 so you see which is the correct one to earth out to the frame of the car.

Note 4. The trans warning light on your dash only comes up when the gear selector is in N.

Note 5 and 6. Yes, this is done with the engine still running, might seem obvious but thought I'd ad it in there to save confusion. However, I did turn the engine off to top the trans up before starting and checking the level again. I was surprised, I had to ad approx 1-2 litres more.

I hope that helps anyone looking to challenge themselves a bit to give them some reassurance that it can be done. It was certainly fun, a little messy but I think I've saved myself a bit of coin. I've got approx 1000km to do on the weekend so here's hoping I've got it right.

Peace out!
    Last edited by Woollybutt; 04-12-18, 08:09 AM.
    2013 NW VRX...some things have been added
  • rykiel575
    • Sep 2017
    • Sydney

Great post!

I did this on the weekend but got the castrol mecron LV fluid. I also didnt do the filters as i don't have the space to really drop the pan, but i will probably get the filters done at a mechanic and do the fluid myself.
    2012 NW Pajero GXL 3.2L

Comment

• ofer24
      • Jul 2015
      • Israel

Thanks for the info. It is much appreciated!
      When I get around to changing my oil (soon I hope) i'll try to post some pics.

Comment

• grpcbr
        • Aug 2007
        • Adelaide

Originally posted by rykiel575 View Post
        Great post!

I did this on the weekend but got the castrol mecron LV fluid. I also didnt do the filters as i don't have the space to really drop the pan, but i will probably get the filters done at a mechanic and do the fluid myself.
        Must have been the weekend for ATF changes. I did the NT 2001 - 127K kms. Fluid a little black and new fluid (Penrite ATF FS) started coming out after 10 litres replacement. Note to self, keep the eyes peeled for the level chech plug washer...

Cheers.

Comment

• rykiel575
          • Sep 2017
          • Sydney

Level check plug on my NW was near the drain bolt. On the bottom face of the pan. Mine had a little socket to fit a allan key and had 'check' or something to that effect written on the bolt.
          2012 NW Pajero GXL 3.2L

Comment

• grpcbr
            • Aug 2007
            • Adelaide

Originally posted by rykiel575 View Post
            Level check plug on my NW was near the drain bolt. On the bottom face of the pan. Mine had a little socket to fit a allan key and had 'check' or something to that effect written on the bolt.
            Yeh, all good. The washer had parted company with the check plug when I first took it off. Wasn’t till I was doing the initial cleanup that I found the “spare” washer and then realised where it needed to go....

Cheers

Comment

• HeavyPizzaz
              Valued Member
              • May 2017
              • Sydney

Would love some feedback here on this... didn't want to start a new thread as it's generally related.

Took my MY16 to my friendly mechanic and specified I wanted a full ATF flush, using Penrite LV, he confirmed yep flush through the cooler pipe, all good, and new filter. Just as a background, this is a mechanic I've trusted for a long time, has never overcharged me, never oversold me on repairs etc. etc. Something to keep in mind.
              When I picked it up he showed me the bucket in which he'd caught some of the old fluid... maybe only 5-6L at a guess, he said he had trouble catching it all, would've been too tricky, or too messy or something along those lines. This was a few weeks back now. He said he used 12L of the Penrite fluid all up. But I don't know where the rest of the stuff that came out would've gone... on the floor of his workshop? That confuses me. Surely you can relocate the bucket to catch it all?
              I was charged $120 for the Auto Transmission Service Kit which seems a lot. Unless it was genuine. He didn't specify. The ones I find online are around $40-50 from reputable brands like Ryco.
              I was charged nearly $190 for 12L Penrite LV which is really steep. $62 per 4L bottle, and he did have it in 4L bottles. The most expensive I found it at full price out of Repco, Autobarn, SCA etc. is $52 for a 4L bottle. So that's $30 more than retail and I thought mechanics got it cheaper than retail.
              Labour was 2.5 hours but that included a general check of the vehicle in prep for my trip as I requested. No break up provided.
              Any thoughts on whether this sounds a bit fishy? To be honest I can live with the price of the oil and parts this time, the biggest query is why all of the old fluid couldn't be caught (and he said it was dirty too) - Deep down I wonder whether it really was a full flush or just dropping the pan and topping up.

Comment

• Dicko1
                Valued Member
                • Dec 2014
                • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by HeavyPizzaz View Post
                Would love some feedback here on this... didn't want to start a new thread as it's generally related.

Took my MY16 to my friendly mechanic and specified I wanted a full ATF flush, using Penrite LV, he confirmed yep flush through the cooler pipe, all good, and new filter. Just as a background, this is a mechanic I've trusted for a long time, has never overcharged me, never oversold me on repairs etc. etc. Something to keep in mind.
                When I picked it up he showed me the bucket in which he'd caught some of the old fluid... maybe only 5-6L at a guess, he said he had trouble catching it all, would've been too tricky, or too messy or something along those lines. This was a few weeks back now. He said he used 12L of the Penrite fluid all up. But I don't know where the rest of the stuff that came out would've gone... on the floor of his workshop? That confuses me. Surely you can relocate the bucket to catch it all?
                I was charged $120 for the Auto Transmission Service Kit which seems a lot. Unless it was genuine. He didn't specify. The ones I find online are around $40-50 from reputable brands like Ryco.
                I was charged nearly $190 for 12L Penrite LV which is really steep. $62 per 4L bottle, and he did have it in 4L bottles. The most expensive I found it at full price out of Repco, Autobarn, SCA etc. is $52 for a 4L bottle. So that's $30 more than retail and I thought mechanics got it cheaper than retail.
                Labour was 2.5 hours but that included a general check of the vehicle in prep for my trip as I requested. No break up provided.
                Any thoughts on whether this sounds a bit fishy? To be honest I can live with the price of the oil and parts this time, the biggest query is why all of the old fluid couldn't be caught (and he said it was dirty too) - Deep down I wonder whether it really was a full flush or just dropping the pan and topping up.

I reckon he,s done a top up....you wont have the same level of confidence in him ever again. Look for a new mechanic....I,d also just get another drain done...
                Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• HeavyPizzaz
                  Valued Member
                  • May 2017
                  • Sydney

Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post
                  you wont have the same level of confidence in him ever again. [1]:
                  Sadly I reckon you’re right on that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Scooby
                    Valued Member
                    • Jan 2011
                    • Ipswich, Qld.

Don’t write him of yet cause as you said he has not done a thing wrong to date.
                    He probably only drained the pan into a bucket to show you and flushed the rest into a larger drain tray, and being a flush he most probably used the 12l. Possibly a little high on parts price. Are you prepared to try someone else to see if they are any better?
                    Scooby, Scott, Scooter, Whatever.

Pajero 2013 NW VRX DID Auto. Basically Stock. 300k. Heavier rear springs to tow the GG’s. Automate also to tow the GG,s.

Pajero 2002 NM GLS V6 Auto. Basically stock. 385k.

Comment

• HeavyPizzaz
                      Valued Member
                      • May 2017
                      • Sydney

V5AWF NW auto transmission fluid flush

Originally posted by Scooby View Post
                      Don’t write him of yet cause as you said he has not done a thing wrong to date.

He probably only drained the pan into a bucket to show you and flushed the rest into a larger drain tray, and being a flush he most probably used the 12l. Possibly a little high on parts price. Are you prepared to try someone else to see if they are any better?

Thanks mate. If there’s a valid and logical explanation as to why he only showed me a relatively small amount in the bucket, as you’ve suggested, then I’m happy to stick with him coz he’s been good to me to date as mentioned. I mean he brought the bucket over to me at the front counter so if there’s a larger tray I get that he couldn’t have brought that. It was just that the suggestion was that it couldn’t all be caught but maybe he just meant in the bucket. I’m a very loyal customer when I find a good business and would prefer to give him the benefit of the doubt if it sounds reasonable. As mentioned the parts prices become way less of an issue if he’s done a good job as he normally does. Part of me thinks just call him but because of the good service he’s done for me in the past I don’t want him to think I’m questioning him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Techedz
                        • Aug 2019
                        • South Canberra

Originally posted by HeavyPizzaz View Post
                        Sounds pretty reasonable to me. they all have a markup margin. Hopefully the filter kit was genuine then the prices are all reasonable. As the others said, if he's always treated you fair before, stick with him. You can always buy the oil yourself and give it to him but unless you get it on sale it's not a big saving.
                        Last edited by Techedz; 19-09-19, 11:09 PM.
                        NW 2012 Pajero Exceed 3.2 Diesel, 18" Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs offroad / Coopers Discoverers onroad; 66 Mustang Convertible; Suzuki M109R 1800, DR650 Dirt bike.

Comment

• flyboy
                          Valued Member
                          • Mar 2017
                          • SA

Anyone definitely know the MMAL part numbers for the following for the Aisin box (NT onwards)?

Drain plug gasket - pretty sure MD951858?
                          Check plug gasket - pretty sure MD951858?
                          Fill plug gasket - this one I don’t know. Maybe MR518910?

Thanks!

Comment

• aussieintas
                            Valued Member
                            • Feb 2013
                            • Sorell, Tasmania

Flyboy

Search on Partsouq.com........you can put in your VIN and search on your car for parts. Will provide MM part numbers.
                            2014 VW Touareg V6 diesel

Previously
                            88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
                            92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
                            92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
                            99 Landcruiser Gxl 4.5 manual with all the fruit
                            95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
                            08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• flyboy
                              Valued Member
                              • Mar 2017
                              • SA

Thanks mate.

That helps, but it still isn’t too easy.

I’m pretty sure the numbers above are correct. Thanks for your help.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X