Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 3 Pajero

Generation 3 Pajero NM - NP Models 2000 - 2006

Old 6 Days Ago

Default No gear selection in any gear / Clutch stuck

Hi
I have had this happen to me a couple of times over the last few years. Every time it has happened after some reasonably deep water crossings (Over the top of tires for some length).
What I think happens is water enters the clutch housing and when you stop and turn off the car for a while causes stiction to occur (clutch tends to stick to flywheel). You find out when starting in neutral or with clutch depressed the car acts like it is in gear. Generally if you persist in key starting the car, the clutch will spring back and all back to normal. It tends to throw you when it first happens ( like the gearbox or clutch has failed not great when the first time was on OTT in cape York) But after years of normal operation after each time I thought is was worth sharing so if others experienced the same issue they can be aware of the cause. See attached photo 02-07-2015 just prior to first occurrence.
You can still select 2WD 4WD High & Low with ignition on just no gears can be selected. I selected low 4WD and key started both times it happened and this fixed the issue.
Pajero 2005 NP 3.8L Petrol Manual
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P7020107.jpg (131.3 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by DAUMULLER; 6 Days Ago at 10:04 PM.
Old 6 Days Ago
"2000"+ Valued Contributor

Send a message via MSN to sharkcaver Send a message via Skype™ to sharkcaver

Yep, had it happen a few times in my gen3. Seems the clutch plate sticks to the flywheel once it gets wet. I got around it by starting it in gear. The jolt seems to separate the clutch from the flywheel.

First time for me was on the Gibb River road. Nice place to be stranded in gear.....not!

MY16 NX GLX5, Dobinson's HD springs + MRR shocks + Firestone airbags, 17" Toyo Opats, XXX bar, Dominator winch + IB500 relay, Full Bushskinz kit, Rhino track mount, 7" led spots, 23" light bar, SPV block, Ultragauge, Donaldson secondary filter, LRA 81L aux, 105AGM in rear + Projecta IDC25, 2 tier rear shelf + slide, ARB on board compressor, 2.5 x 3.0 awning

NX build

My Journeys
Old 5 Days Ago
Valued Member

Yeah, the problem is the water but it can be caused by moisture from another source. When my vehicle was relatively new, I went to start it one afternoon and the clutch was stuck as you describe. I hadnít been through any deep water, however it turned out the drain from the air conditioner was leaking down onto the bell-housing and saturating the clutch. Mitsubishi did a recall because of this problem and merely put a extra piece of plastic pipe on the drain.

Cheers

Geoff
03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.
Old 5 Days Ago

Yep, seems common, had it happen 2 or 3 times in my NM 2.8. A/C drain pipe identified as the source. Only thing that ever caused me concern with that old girl. Great old bus, not fast, but reliable and economical.
Old 5 Days Ago
Valued Member

Haven't had this happen but thanks for the heads up - now I'll know what's going on if it happens. Where does water get in? I have previously wondered if it is worth putting a bead of silicon around the inspection hole cover as it is pretty loose.
07 NS DiD GLX Manual, Alloy Bullbar, 2" lift, Bilstein shocks, King Springs, Kumho MT51, Oricom UHF088, Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Airtec Snorkel, Bushskinz Intercooler Guard, Boo's Sump and Tansmission Bash Plates
Old 5 Days Ago
"2000"+ Valued Contributor

Send a message via MSN to sharkcaver Send a message via Skype™ to sharkcaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axis View Post
Haven't had this happen but thanks for the heads up - now I'll know what's going on if it happens. Where does water get in? I have previously wondered if it is worth putting a bead of silicon around the inspection hole cover as it is pretty loose.
The main problem with sealing things is that you generally are not that successful, but then you severely restrict the ability of water already in there to get out. I wouldn't bother myself.

MY16 NX GLX5, Dobinson's HD springs + MRR shocks + Firestone airbags, 17" Toyo Opats, XXX bar, Dominator winch + IB500 relay, Full Bushskinz kit, Rhino track mount, 7" led spots, 23" light bar, SPV block, Ultragauge, Donaldson secondary filter, LRA 81L aux, 105AGM in rear + Projecta IDC25, 2 tier rear shelf + slide, ARB on board compressor, 2.5 x 3.0 awning

NX build

My Journeys
Old 5 Days Ago
Valued Member

I had a similar issue years ago with a suzuki sierra. Mud and water would get into the bell housing if your inspection cover came off. It left you only able to select gears with the motor off! Luckily i was able to get it going in 3rd to get back to brisbane. The fix was to put a hose into the bell housing via the inspection hole and leave it with the engine running for an hour. Check repeat until enough mud etc. Had come out.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk