• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stormjohn
    • Nov 2019
    • Mount barker s.a.

Engine stalling after 2-3klicks

Hello everyone, FIRST time on any forum, i have an NH and its not happy right now, am going to put reco motor in a.s.a.p. in an effort to solve many issues, but right now i have a problem with the motor cutting out after 2-3klicks,
    Ok so i had and probably still have a hot start issue,
    have done dizzy( new), coil, power unit, sparks, leads, and new injector kits all round( recently), 2 drives later and THIS 2-3klick range, symptoms felt like suddenly out of gas, driving then splutter,then a bit more drive then engine fade to off, any suggestions would be appreciated especially if it fixes problem, car should be daily drive,
    is'nt!
    i will not go to a mechanic to solve problem, dont like snakey behaviour( is how i have a new dizzy and still have problem) so i'm thinking someone has had same problem and i would appreciate your solution if you would help please, again FIRST time so apologies for length of intial message, thankyou.
  • 4ePikanini
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2009
    • South Africa, East London

Unplug MAF and go for test drive

Set TPS and go for a drive
    1993 3.0 V6 Pajero - SOLD
    2001 3.2 Di-D Pajero - SOLD
    2005 Touareg R5 2.5 TDi - SOLD
    2007 Pajero LWB 3.2 Di-D

Comment

• stormjohn
      • Nov 2019
      • Mount barker s.a.

Thankyou (valued member)4ePikanini ��
      i say that in fun because as i said this IS my first time on any forum and i noticed i am a (junior member) which i thought amusing considering my age, anyway thanks i shall try that,
      I brought my girl a couple of years ago and made the mistake of buying car with not enough research and as a consequence i have inherited a 300,000 klik car and have to deal with servicing Every system, my problem was/is brought car for average price(too much for my car) and have since then done complete interior trim custom, complete exterior sans winch and new tyre wheels, have done brakes new rotors pads all round, snorkel,exhaust, i have a lot of new bushs to go in once have almost all,so as you can c i am all in on my girl, i have a reco motor lined up because i figure that it makes far more sense financially to replace motor gaining almost new car as opposed to dealing with all motor issues separately and at the end of the day still having a tired motor, so all i am trying to do is keep car running until i get reco done, i replaced injector kits last week knowing that they could have been original and hoping to solve my hot start problem, it Did'nt because now i have this, my hot start problem was that she starts drives fine turn her off come back and its 50/50 whether she would start, now 2-3klicks splutter, recover, fade, off. I dont know if this would mean anything but when plenum off could c #1pot and a little #2pot carbon free so i dont know if low compression plays a part, anyway thankyou a lot 4ePikanini for your time in assisting a fellow paj owner out being that you have been there, this is my first 4x
      Seriously should have done my research first,
      Also i will try to let you know what happens If i can work this forum out, communication wise, i usually scroll through everthing relevant, thankyou 4ePikanini.
      I just googled set tps how to above my pay grade right now i am not only a paj and 4b newbie but also a lot on fixing cars newbie, i can fix most things but usually only after i've researched subject�� arent cars fun he says��
      Last edited by stormjohn; 30-12-19, 05:16 PM.

Comment

• nj swb
        Resident
        • Jun 2007
        • Adelaide

Many years ago I had a similar problem in an old carburettor vehicle that had an electric fuel pump. Eventually tracked down to fuel hose from the pump was tied to the top radiator hose - heat from the coolant would vaporise fuel in the line, but the pump was seeing pressure and not pumping, so the carburettor bowl emptied.

I can't imagine you have precisely the same problem, but check your fuel lines for any unusual modifications / dodgy repairs?
        NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• stormjohn
          • Nov 2019
          • Mount barker s.a.

��
          Dodgy repairs like the one i just did on my injectors, that definately gives me something to think on, car was going 50/50 but at least going, i do repair, and now this, thankyou nj swb
          i will look at that, lot of heat and a lot of hoses that i have a bad habit if rerouting, ��
          I missed that oh mighty RESIDENT
          Sorry nj swb could'nt resist��
          Thankyou seriously for helping,
          I REALLY am a newbie in everthing 4by, came to s.a. 4 years ago got sedan stuck on way here first time, next day almost again in even poorer place decided 4x4s for me, i have my girl now, lotus and i am not going to own another, i have a car with previous owner and 300,000, lotus looks the part inside and out brake and exhaust systems done bushs ready to go when doing 2inch lift its just this hot start problem that was/is annoying i really dont wish to spend $ on motor because i intend to get reco swap makes far better cents�� to give the girl a new heart than to give maintenance nj swb you may have nailed it i did move a lot of hoses around, will check thanks.
          Last edited by stormjohn; 30-12-19, 05:48 PM.

Comment

• disco stu
            Valued Member
            • Dec 2018
            • Wollongong

Sounds to me like a component is getting hot and stops functioning properly, maybe the crank angle sensor or similar.

Comment

• stormjohn
              • Nov 2019
              • Mount barker s.a.

Thanks disco stu, component was getting hot and fuel vaporising, i had crushed water hose between isc and up against literally fuel line when reinstalling plenum oops😑

Comment

• disco stu
                Valued Member
                • Dec 2018
                • Wollongong

Sweet-glad you got it sorted and it wasn't overly difficult to find. Nj was spot on the money too

Comment

• erad
                  Valued Member
                  • Mar 2015
                  • Cooma NSW

Side story - Years ago, I had a Citroen DS21 Injection model - the first model, using Bosch K jetronic system .VW had the same system in their fastback model and a friend came from about 100 km away to ask for help. His VW would go well for 10 to 15 km and then stop. A few minutes later it would fire up PK and do another 10 - 15 km before stopping again.

It was mid winter, so I assumed that it was not an overheating problem. I undid the cold start injector and attached a hose joiner and a pressure gauge to the supply hose. We drove off for 15 km with me holding the pressure gauge out the window, dripping petrol all the way onto my freezing hand. Eventually, the pressure dropped from the 28 psi reading to about 10 psi. The car stopped by itself. We waited a bit and then he drove back home. He took the car to the VW dealer and they removed the fuel tank. It turned out that he had been visiting his grandchildren (don't you just love them) and they had discovered this little flap on the side of the front fender. He had parked next to their sandpit, and they had a lovely time putting sand into the tank. Of course, this blocked the fuel intake in the tank, and as soon as the pump stopped, everything settled back to normal. It would go again until it picked up enough sand to again block the intake. The dealer cleaned it all out and no more problems.

This problem may apply to DiscoStu's Pajero as well (but hopefully not sand blocking the intake). Maybe it is just a few rust flakes which block the fuel pickup. On my wife's TF Magna, it always ran on gas, but the fuel pump was always running. There is a sock on the intake to the pump which acts as a pre-filter (to keep these rust flakes etc out of the system). The Magna was getting hard to start (it always started on petrol and then switched to gas). Eventually I removed the fuel pump (quite a job requiring a special tool to remove the delivery hose) and the pre-filter sock was full of red mud - hard as a brick. I didn't remove the sock, but bashed it thoroughly and softened the mud up to the point where I could flush it out with many rinses of petrol. I then refitted the pump, put in a new main filter and the car ran beautifully thereafter. My NL Pajero didn't have this problem because I had arranged an isolation of the pump whenever the LPG system was engaged. This meant that the pump rarely operated and therefore it was not pulling all the red mud out of the petrol. Maybe something is choking the intake to the fuel pump?

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X