• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HayleyGoodie
    • Jan 2020
    • NSW

Advice needed - head gasket ?

Hi guys

Driving my ‘93 GLS V6 3000, and filled it with coolant before I left for a drive up to Hunter Valley - oil pressure dropped, temp ran high and white smoke out the exhaust - went limp with no power

Pulled over and wouldn’t start again - radiator cap was off, but no milky substance in oil - no visible signs of anything else

When I try and start it, belts turn but engine doesn’t fire

Had it dropped back to my place - when I turn ignition, same thing - belts run but doesn’t turn over

My old man is a mechanic but lives in another country - could be a complete engine seizure in his opinion

Just want any advice as to whether it’s worth getting looked at - done 220k kms and didn’t pay a lot for it, but we love it!!!
  • 50v3r31gnZA
    • Feb 2019
    • Nelspruit

Originally posted by HayleyGoodie View Post
    Hi guys

Driving my ‘93 GLS V6 3000, and filled it with coolant before I left for a drive up to Hunter Valley - oil pressure dropped, temp ran high and white smoke out the exhaust - went limp with no power

Pulled over and wouldn’t start again - radiator cap was off, but no milky substance in oil - no visible signs of anything else

When I try and start it, belts turn but engine doesn’t fire

Had it dropped back to my place - when I turn ignition, same thing - belts run but doesn’t turn over

My old man is a mechanic but lives in another country - could be a complete engine seizure in his opinion

Just want any advice as to whether it’s worth getting looked at - done 220k kms and didn’t pay a lot for it, but we love it!!!
    Sitting in the exact same position, unfortunately my diagnosis has been that there is such a bad crack in the head that the pots get enough water in to hydrolock after standing overnight.

Comment

• gemster
      Valued Member
      • Aug 2012
      • Gold Coast

Sounds like it to me... Sorry..

Gemster...
      YES. ITS A MITZY . 97 NL 3.5 GLS AUTO (Formally owned by geopaj)__ Snorkel ,2 Uniden Uhfs , Roof Console, 2"lift, TT Suspension, Dual bat, Redarc System, BFG KO2's All Terrains, 55L sub tank, Pioneer sound, Milford cargo barrier, Extractors, SS exhaust, Rear camp light, Free Wheel Hubs, Improved Rear Storage unit, Alarm, Led interior lamps...
      And a 1999 NL LWB... Called 'Project Covid".. Stock Standard.
      ..Both with No Airbags. We die like real Men

Comment

• disco stu
        Valued Member
        • Dec 2018
        • Wollongong

But the engine turns over, so it's not seized or hydro locked

Comment

• Pixie_au
          • Apr 2019
          • Queensland

I had a Camry V6 with same. Not hydro-locked. Starter motor caused pistons to pump fluid out until it started. Had symptoms of a struggling battery.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Comment

• erad
            Valued Member
            • Mar 2015
            • Cooma NSW

If you had to fill the beast with coolant before you left, that obviously means you had a leak somewhere. Is there any evidence of external leaks (at the radiator, hoses heater - inside the cabin etc). It sounds as if you ran dry of coolant and the thing boiled, temporarily seizing the engine. The low oil pressure mystifies me - unless the engine speed had dropped when you looked at the oil pressure gauge. Were there any strange noises at the time of failure or afterwards?

Most likely cause is a blown head gasket or a cracked head. The fact that the engine turns over with the starter motor means that it is not seized now (that is good). Now to find the source of the leak... The most reliable way to start is a cylinder compression check. The cylinder pressures should be 980 - 1275 kPa (142 - 185 psi) with a maximum variation of 98 kPa (14 psi) differential between cylinders. If the pressures are all reasonable on say 5 cylinders, it is possible that you have a cracked head on the other cylinder or maybe as simple as a blown head gasket. . If the pressures between 2 adjacent cylinders are low, it is likely that you have a blown head gasket.

A major rebuild will cost you a minimum $2000 including labour.

Comment

• pb4x2
              • May 2015
              • Deception Bay Qld 4508

Hi Haley,
              May I suggest you do some research on products such as Nulon permanent head gasket repair Rislone head gasket fix and Bar's Leak head gasket repair. They all guarantee their product will work and could be a better alternative to a full top end rebuild given the cost age and mileage of your vehicle.
              2012 PB Challenger 4x2 auto

30mm Whiteline Front Sway Bar / SPV Delete / Catch can / Auto-mate / Lowered Front 35mm Rear 50mm / Side Steps Lowered 20mm / Rear Spoiler / Sony Double DIN xav-ax1000 / Rear Camera / All the Chrome bits

Comment

• disco stu
                Valued Member
                • Dec 2018
                • Wollongong

If you pop spark plugs out and try turning it over it will show pretty quick if there is water in the cylinders. Doing that before erads suggestion of compression pressure would be a good idea.

If it's not starting or firing now I'm wondering what else is going on

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                Working...
                X