• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Marty V
    Valued Member
    • Apr 2008
    • Cranbourne, Vic

3rd row seats not folding

I can only imagine that the previous owners of my car ('96 GLS) did not use the rear seats much, because they just dont work the way they should...When the seats (3rd row) are down and ready to be sat on there is a leaver on the side (of the back rest) that should fold the seat forward...For some reason neither of my will, so I've been just using the little leaver at the bottom to get them down but then they're not really flat and lifting them up against the side window really becomes difficult...I have taken one out completely and lifted the back rest cover up to look at the mechanism...The rod and sring are still connected and moves the widget clear so that it should move foward yet it still will not...I have carefully sprayed it all with CRC in the hope that whatever is stuck will come lose but still no joy...I'm taking it to the mechanics for a big service in a couple of weeks but was hoping to sort this out my self...I just think its weird that both seats are not working! And i have looked at mates cars which do work properly and its not me!...Anyone got any clues?
  • tytin
    • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Marty V View Post
    I can only imagine that the previous owners of my car ('96 GLS) did not use the rear seats much, because they just dont work the way they should...When the seats (3rd row) are down and ready to be sat on there is a leaver on the side (of the back rest) that should fold the seat forward...For some reason neither of my will, so I've been just using the little leaver at the bottom to get them down but then they're not really flat and lifting them up against the side window really becomes difficult...I have taken one out completely and lifted the back rest cover up to look at the mechanism...The rod and sring are still connected and moves the widget clear so that it should move foward yet it still will not...I have carefully sprayed it all with CRC in the hope that whatever is stuck will come lose but still no joy...I'm taking it to the mechanics for a big service in a couple of weeks but was hoping to sort this out my self...I just think its weird that both seats are not working! And i have looked at mates cars which do work properly and its not me!...Anyone got any clues?
    So your mate's car 3rd seats also not work like your? I can't remember if the lever (on side of back rest) should be push down or pull up to fold seats flat, try both direction anyway. Hope that will help.

Comment

• Marty V
      Valued Member
      • Apr 2008
      • Cranbourne, Vic

Sorry mate...My mates seats worked perfectly and mine dont...The leaver on the side of the back rest is pushed up (from here at work I'm pretty sure) and then the top half of the seat goes forward, the little leaver at the bottom will also take the seat forward but from a different axis point which does not allow the seat to fold perfectly flat for upright storage. In mine it feels like the mechanism opens and it wants to go forward but something else is stopping it, I can feel movement and looking at the inside of the seat everything appears to be moving, if only a few mm's rather than just folding all the way down. In the locked position there is no movement at all. I'm sure I came close to snapping it with sheeeeer frustration on Sunday...Nobody seems to have had a similar problem...??? I've folded seats in many of these types of cars before so i do have some idea of what to do but there is definately a problem that i cant see...

Comment

• tytin
        • Mar 2008

Sorry can't help, I was assuming you not familiar with these type of car. Sound like something stuck or too worn out. Maybe look at the part that connect to the lever.

Comment

• Campo
          • Jun 2007

Marty
          I'm probably stating the obvious here.
          The side lever is simply to adjust the angle of the backrest.
          The bottom lever is used in conjuction with the side lever to lay the seats down totally flat. Used in conjunction with the middle seats they make a lumpy bed. No good for me with the cargo barrier and draws.

Can you confirm yours are at the "home" position.
          1. Pull the side lever up and fold the backrest forward until it is in the section of its arc that is free to move without holding the side lever up.

2.Push the bottom lever down and push the backrest back (release bottom`lever)until it clicks in position.

3. The backrest should be set from this position only using the side lever.

Setting the seats down to make a bed is a fiddly procedure and may have had some heavy hands from the previous owner which may have snapped something.

Apologies if I've just increased your frustration level!

Paul
          Last edited by Campo; 23-06-08, 01:56 AM.

Comment

• Marty V
            Valued Member
            • Apr 2008
            • Cranbourne, Vic

Campo, step 1 is the problem...When I lift the side leaver it feels like it is partially disconnecting and wants to go forward but something is stopping it...I cant move the back rest hardly at all...The bottom leaver works fine its just that the top section is stuck somehow...One of my work mates has a '99 GLS with the same seats and with his it works just as you describe...I know mine should too but that backrest will not go forward with the side leaver...I still think that its really strange that both my rear seats are doing the same thing...one I could understand...I need to go and have another fiddle...I've tried just about every combination of pulling leavers and pushing it to the point where i though I was just gonna snap the back rest off, mainly because i thought something might come loose and free up...Already probably spent 3-4 hours mucking around with them...

Thanks for your thoughts...

Comment

• adrian9779
              • Jul 2008

lots of mussles

have seen this problem quite a few times over the years ,the back seat pivot is seized. the locking mechanism releases but the seat wont fold .removing the trim aside to get access to the pivot is easy ,can do in car then flood with crc then push as hard as possible back and forward,the seat will feel like its going to break,obviosly you dont want to .if it doesnt free up seat frame/seat will need replacing .best of luck

Comment

• Marty V
                Valued Member
                • Apr 2008
                • Cranbourne, Vic

Adrian,

Thanks mate...I thought that might be the case...Seems to make sence, might try rocking them a bit more than just pushing...I'm going to have another go at it this weekend...I might just ring a few wreckers first to see how much the replacements are before I get to carried away though...Dont suppose anyone out there has had to buy them before so I've got a bit of a guide on price?

Of all the things I checked on the car when i bought it...i was to busy looking for expensive mechanical items...

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                Working...
                X