• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • shadowarrior
    • Jul 2010
    • Gold Coast

Servicing after the Factory 5 years capped pricing

Hello Gentlemen!

My capped 5 years/60k kms service for the PC Challenger is over.. am due for a 80k service this month. Mitsi called me to check if I want to book it in with them for a $1100 service which includes cleaning the injectors (or was it valve clearance?) and the pollen filter, nothing else major.

That feels bit too on the north side of costs? Replacing injectors might have warranted that cost..or I could be completely wrong.

What are you guys doing/have done with your servicing after the capped service has expired?

Think littleriver bought his car same time as mine? @OJ any advice?

Oh I also noticed a known issue surface on the PC. The 4wd lights in the dash sometimes don't light up when I start the car and start driving...it can then eventually start to flicker till finally coming back on. I had the same problem with my Pajero IO before and it was problems with the solenoid contacts. Is it the same case for this one most likely? Think since am out of the 5 years warranty this is now a billable repair for me?

Cheers!
    Titanium MY14 Challenger Auto, MM Steel bullbar, MM tow kit, MM foglights, MM carpet mats.
  • Pwoffey
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2013
    • Adelaide

I'm not saying you should keep going to the dealer for servicing, but if the problem with the 4WD lights is a known issue, and the vehicle is not too long out of warranty and, especially if you do take it back for continued servicing, I would have thought you'd be in a very strong position to get that problem fixed "under warranty". You should only need to mention it and the dealer should be falling over himself to fix it at no charge to you.

As to the major decision, it all depends... what's your past history with the dealer's service been? What other options are there near where you live? Can you do some/most of the work yourself? Is there a reputable mechanic, familiar with Challengers, conveniently located and offering a good price for quality work?
    BY13/MY14 Pajero NW GLX Auto, Cooper ST Maxx, factory towbar, Drifta drawers, SmartBar, Airtec snorkel, Koni Raid 90 front and 88 rear shocks with KIngs 34-HD springs front, 35-EHD rear, Brown Davis i/c, sump and transmission bash plates, Piranha diff breathers, Fuel Manager pre-filter, LRA 81L auxiliary fuel tank, Piranha steel battery tray, Sherpa 9500 lb winch, HPD catch can, LockUp Mate, Kaon cargo barrier, Harrop front e-locker, DBA T3 rotors and Xtreme pads, Mark's 4WD reduction gears

Comment

• littleriver
      Valued Member
      • Jan 2013
      • Queensland

Originally posted by Pwoffey View Post
      I'm not saying you should keep going to the dealer for servicing, but if the problem with the 4WD lights is a known issue, and the vehicle is not too long out of warranty and, especially if you do take it back for continued servicing, I would have thought you'd be in a very strong position to get that problem fixed "under warranty". You should only need to mention it and the dealer should be falling over himself to fix it at no charge to you.

As to the major decision, it all depends... what's your past history with the dealer's service been? What other options are there near where you live? Can you do some/most of the work yourself? Is there a reputable mechanic, familiar with Challengers, conveniently located and offering a good price for quality work?
      X2 with the above

Never heard of them cleaning the injectors .. maybe a SQL (small quantity injection relearn) but that’s meant to be done every service as too the pollen filter change .. valve clearances every 30k km if I remember correctly...

I am doing my own minor servicing .. major works will let a qualified Mitsubishi tech do ...

Here’s an interesting sight .. driving past Toyota dealership $129 service (basic) guess that would be only 4L of engine oil (bring your own) .. at least you get a dealer stamp lol ..

Last edited by littleriver; 21-12-18, 03:10 PM.
      2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) Safari Snorkel, OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch light bar on ECB Nudge bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T (116S), Uniden Dash cam, Oricom 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Comment

• shadowarrior
        • Jul 2010
        • Gold Coast

Yeah service log book says SQL, Valve Clearance and the pollen filter change. I can do basic service work on the car by myself like changing oil/filter etc.

Don't know of any good service center around me but can look. Previous experience with the Mitsi dealer/service has been neutral mostly.

Checking the service book, my capped service ended on the 48th month, is that true for you guys as well? Thought it was 60 months capped service.

My warranty expires 31st Jan 2019, so ideally those lights flickering and all the oil stains I have been finding under the vehicle where I park would be part of warranty am hoping.

I can look for an authorized service center but relation with the Mitsi Tweed would be put on test if I go there and ask them to only look at the warranty items

The service center is 1hr+ drive for me each way though..so makes sense to look around near me.
        @Littleriver, would Toyota whinge about stamping my log book for different brand car? Do you think they do the proper log book service (go through each item as marked?) Which Toyota center did you see this at? (I moved to Ormeau Hills now :P)
        Titanium MY14 Challenger Auto, MM Steel bullbar, MM tow kit, MM foglights, MM carpet mats.

Comment

• littleriver
          Valued Member
          • Jan 2013
          • Queensland

Originally posted by shadowarrior View Post
          Yeah service log book says SQL, Valve Clearance and the pollen filter change. I can do basic service work on the car by myself like changing oil/filter etc.

Don't know of any good service center around me but can look. Previous experience with the Mitsi dealer/service has been neutral mostly.

Checking the service book, my capped service ended on the 48th month, is that true for you guys as well? Thought it was 60 months capped service.

My warranty expires 31st Jan 2019, so ideally those lights flickering and all the oil stains I have been finding under the vehicle where I park would be part of warranty am hoping.

I can look for an authorized service center but relation with the Mitsi Tweed would be put on test if I go there and ask them to only look at the warranty items

The service center is 1hr+ drive for me each way though..so makes sense to look around near me.
          @Littleriver, would Toyota whinge about stamping my log book for different brand car? Do you think they do the proper log book service (go through each item as marked?) Which Toyota center did you see this at? (I moved to Ormeau Hills now :P)
          Grand Motors Southport do any vehicle as per log book .. best ring them first for some pricing (best supply all your own oils) may even ask if you can supply your own filters, see how much of a discount you may get ...

Above is a booking schedule ...

2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) Safari Snorkel, OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch light bar on ECB Nudge bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T (116S), Uniden Dash cam, Oricom 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Comment

• shadowarrior
            • Jul 2010
            • Gold Coast

Just called Grand Motors Toyota Southport, quoted me $420 for the 75k service. That's a HUGE difference :| I asked if that includes all the items in the logbook including Valve Clearance and SQL and oil, said yeah whatever is on the logbook will get done.

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
              Valued Member
              • Aug 2016
              • Greater Sydney

Just called Grand Motors Toyota Southport, quoted me $420 for the 75k service. That's a HUGE difference :| I asked if that includes all the items in the logbook including Valve Clearance and SQL and oil, said yeah whatever is on the logbook will get done.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but there is no way that can be done for $420. Plus if they don't have a mutt they can't do the SQL. Impossible.

Comment

• BMN
                Valued Member
                • Aug 2010
                • Perth WA

Good price. Many Valve clearance's are just audiable checks..........even Mitsi dealers.
                2010 PB LS Auto, 7seat, silver with lots of pinstripes, Dual batts, Toyo AT2, ARB roof rack, Rear storage/fridge, Bilstien/Kings

Comment

• nj swb
                  Resident
                  • Jun 2007
                  • Adelaide

… yeah whatever is on the logbook will get done.
                  That's a salesman's answer.
                  NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Kingbrown
                    Valued Member
                    • Apr 2012
                    • Port Augusta - SA

The schedule for 75k says engine oil change and filter plus SQL and a range of other visual/tactile 'checks'.

If your service time is out of sync with your km's then other work may be due.

$420 for an oil change is extortion in my opinion.
                    2012 PB Challenger LS Manual

Comment

• shadowarrior
                      • Jul 2010
                      • Gold Coast

For the 4D5 60mo/75k service it lists proper Valve clearance not an audible check and the SQL + A service schedule which is oil and filter change and rest inspection.

I hoped since they were listing service for all manufacturer's logbook service they would the the mitsy tool.

All service so far has been done on schedule and nothing missed. I could go talk to the Toyota service manager. But $1100 for a valve clearance from the Mitsy centre sounds super expensive!! I just paid similar on labour with all parts provided by me for a timing belt job on the FTO last month :/

Comment

• shadowarrior
                        • Jul 2010
                        • Gold Coast

The only major thing from the looks of it is valve clearance. Would any one of you know the usual cost of getting valve clearance done on the 4D5 or similar engines? Trying to see if that $1100 vs $420 quote make sense on what's being included in the work done.

Edit: Called another Mitsy service center (Von Bibra) and they quoted me $848 and gave me the list of inclusions (Tappet adjustment/valve clearance, SQL, oil and filter change and the rest of the checks as listed). So now I have a $420, a $840 and a $1100
                        Last edited by shadowarrior; 24-12-18, 01:56 PM.

Comment

• BMN
                          Valued Member
                          • Aug 2010
                          • Perth WA

The only major thing from the looks of it is valve clearance. Would any one of you know the usual cost of getting valve clearance done on the 4D5 or similar engines? Trying to see if that $1100 vs $420 quote make sense on what's being included in the work done.

Edit: Called another Mitsy service center (Von Bibra) and they quoted me $848 and gave me the list of inclusions (Tappet adjustment/valve clearance, SQL, oil and filter change and the rest of the checks as listed). So now I have a $420, a $840 and a $1100
                          I think the service logbook changed with the model lineup, as a 2010 PB 75k is just a minor service.
                          As mentioned many valve clearance are just audible checks.........and yes they charge for the real deal.
                          Not sure workshops rates but say $100p/h (which is probably on the low side these days), so oil/filter $150 with general checks 2hr labour $200. SQL $100. So thats $450. Valve clearance i reckon they would have to charge 2-3hrs labour so $200-$300. $650-$750 would be a good service centre that wanted you return work, so the $1100 is very expensive, the $840 sounds about right, the $450 must only be an audible check.
                          2010 PB LS Auto, 7seat, silver with lots of pinstripes, Dual batts, Toyo AT2, ARB roof rack, Rear storage/fridge, Bilstien/Kings

Comment

• old Jack
                            Regular
                            • Jun 2011
                            • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by BMN View Post
                            I think the service logbook changed with the model lineup, as a 2010 PB 75k is just a minor service.
                            As mentioned many valve clearance are just audible checks.........and yes they charge for the real deal.
                            Not sure workshops rates but say $100p/h (which is probably on the low side these days), so oil/filter $150 with general checks 2hr labour $200. SQL $100. So thats $450. Valve clearance i reckon they would have to charge 2-3hrs labour so $200-$300. $650-$750 would be a good service centre that wanted you return work, so the $1100 is very expensive, the $840 sounds about right, the $450 must only be an audible check.
                            Agree.

OJ.
                            2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                            MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Kingbrown
                              Valued Member
                              • Apr 2012
                              • Port Augusta - SA

The change in service period is 'interesting', considering it's the same engine as before.
                              Does this suggest that the people who have had valve their clearances physically checked every 30k km's have been swindled ?
                              2012 PB Challenger LS Manual

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X