• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • speedwave
    • Jul 2010
    • Dubai

Sport Mode Autoshift Disable

When I put my gear in sport mode the car does not hold the gear when RPM gets close to red line. The gear would up shift and its not helpful when driving in the sand.

I am aware that Pajeros after 2011 do not up shift. Any idea how to get my gear to hold in sport mode?

I am assuming this is a programming issue? Anyone has experience in programming Pajero gears?
    3.9L Engine Upgraded OEM +0.5 Pistons, Ported Cylinder head & intake manifold, AEM Filter, Evo Spark Plugs, Unichip Tuning, Headers, High Flow Cat, Transmission Cooler, Omani Gear Hack to prevent auto shifting
    Dobinson MRR Remote Reservoir Shocks, 2 inch Fender clearance & wide body kit, 17" Method Rims, Geolandar ATS, Extra AC Fan, LED Lights, Bush Skinz front & sump bash plates, custom bumpers, Panel Switch, Dual Battery, Paddle Shifters, Pedal Commander, TPS System, Vlad Traction on/off
  • Dicko1
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2014
    • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by speedwave View Post
    When I put my gear in sport mode the car does not hold the gear when RPM gets close to red line. The gear would up shift and its not helpful when driving in the sand.

I am aware that Pajeros after 2011 do not up shift. Any idea how to get my gear to hold in sport mode?

I am assuming this is a programming issue? Anyone has experience in programming Pajero gears?

..I dont understand why you,d want to hold a gear at close to redline..Max power is at 4000rpm and maximum torque is around 2-2500 rpm..Redline is about 4250. I,d be changing at 3500rpm
    Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• speedwave
      • Jul 2010
      • Dubai

Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post
      ..I dont understand why you,d want to hold a gear at close to redline..Max power is at 4000rpm and maximum torque is around 2-2500 rpm..Redline is about 4250. I,d be changing at 3500rpm
      When driving uphill on a steep sand slope and gear shifts up, car loses momentum fast. I would rather be in control of when to upshift. Has anyone seen this problem on the Gen 4?
      3.9L Engine Upgraded OEM +0.5 Pistons, Ported Cylinder head & intake manifold, AEM Filter, Evo Spark Plugs, Unichip Tuning, Headers, High Flow Cat, Transmission Cooler, Omani Gear Hack to prevent auto shifting
      Dobinson MRR Remote Reservoir Shocks, 2 inch Fender clearance & wide body kit, 17" Method Rims, Geolandar ATS, Extra AC Fan, LED Lights, Bush Skinz front & sump bash plates, custom bumpers, Panel Switch, Dual Battery, Paddle Shifters, Pedal Commander, TPS System, Vlad Traction on/off

Comment

• Luke68
        • May 2017
        • Emerald victoria

3.8 petrol

Dicko,
        I think that he's talking about the V6 petrol motor not the diesel that we're used to😁

Comment

• speedwave
          • Jul 2010
          • Dubai

Originally posted by Luke68 View Post
          Dicko,
          I think that he's talking about the V6 petrol motor not the diesel that we're used to😁
          That's right it's 3.8v6

Comment

• Dicko1
            Valued Member
            • Dec 2014
            • Cairns, FNQ

Sorry mate. Petrol not diesel. Last petrol car I had was a v8 falcon....not very good on sand dunes!!
            Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• Plez
              • Jul 2018
              • South East QLD

Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post
              Sorry mate. Petrol not diesel. Last petrol car I had was a v8 falcon....not very good on sand dunes!!
              Not with that attitude!
              2013 NW, Grey, Auto, Diesel. Resistor EGR Delete, 2inch OZtec + Kings lift, 265/65/r17 Bridgestone Duelers. Custom 2.5inch turbo back exhaust with 200cell highflow cat and 12inch straight through resonator.

Comment

• old Jack
                Regular
                • Jun 2011
                • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by speedwave View Post

Hi Speedwave,

The 3.8litre EFI Petrol NS has the Jatco V5A5A 5 speed auto with a 1.6:1 low stall torque convertor fitted and 4.3:1 diff ratios, this is same Jatco auto fitted to the PB/PC Challenger except the Challenger has the 2.04:1 high slip TC and 3.917:1 diff ratios.

On the Challenger the INVECS II AT ECU control has built is "self protections" that limit rpm in certain gears, this maybe the situation in the NS. The trans will automatically shift up a gear when rpm is too high so it could be possible that that the tacho is slightly out of calibration and the ECU is sensing 6000rpm and the tacho is only showing 5800rpm.

So does this only occur in high range or low range or both?
                In what gears? 1st? 2nd? 3rd? 4th?
                At what rpm does the up shift occur?

What size tyres are you running and at what pressures in the soft sand?

OJ.
                2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• speedwave
                  • Jul 2010
                  • Dubai

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
                  Hi Speedwave,

The 3.8litre EFI Petrol NS has the Jatco V5A5A 5 speed auto with a 1.6:1 low stall torque convertor fitted and 4.3:1 diff ratios, this is same Jatco auto fitted to the PB/PC Challenger except the Challenger has the 2.04:1 high slip TC and 3.917:1 diff ratios.

On the Challenger the INVECS II AT ECU control has built is "self protections" that limit rpm in certain gears, this maybe the situation in the NS. The trans will automatically shift up a gear when rpm is too high so it could be possible that that the tacho is slightly out of calibration and the ECU is sensing 6000rpm and the tacho is only showing 5800rpm.

So does this only occur in high range or low range or both?
                  In what gears? 1st? 2nd? 3rd? 4th?
                  At what rpm does the up shift occur?

What size tyres are you running and at what pressures in the soft sand?

OJ.
                  Hi OJ

You are right it's a Jatco gear as I checked. I have standard tyre size and this issue is common on 2007 to 2011 petrol gen 4 only.

Is there a way I can reprogram the INVECS II ECU? Do you know anyone that can help or maybe I find a way to alter the tach signal going into ECU to trick it to think RPM is lower so it doesn't up shift in sport mode.

I wish I can just grab an engineer from the factory this is a problem all 2007 to 2011 pajeros in my country are dying to solve

Comment

• speedwave
                    • Jul 2010
                    • Dubai

****FINALLY SOLVED*** This is to update that the Mitsubishi Pajero Gear Hold Auto Upshift issue is now solved!

I had my Mitsubishi Gear Hold Programming done by www.speedecu.com

My Pajero now holds the gear up to around 6500 RPM without autoshifting to the next gear. This was done by programming the Pajero Gen 4 transmission to hold the selected gear in Sport Mode (Tip Tronic)

Full Pajero Tuning Packages which includes Gear Hold, Fast RPM Cut Off and much more can be found here:

https://www.speedecu.com/ecu-tuning-packages

Pajero Gear Hold Video: https://youtu.be/jDE_fp0FDcE

Previous Solution Found on how to stop Pajero Gear from Auto shifting

So two solutions have been found on how to stop the gear from auto shifting for 2008 to 2010 Pajeros.

Solution 1. Omani Gear Hack: Its a hack only meant for advanced users and was initially discovered by the Pajero_Oman team.The Omani Gear Hack works by disabling the output speed sensor which will stop the car from auto shifting. Any mod like this comes with unknown risks before anyone plans to replicate. However, it solves a major problem for desert driving when you need the gear to hold at high RPM and has been in use for the past 2 years with no issues on many cars in the region. I like to repeat anyone planning on placing a switch on the gear output speed sensor will do it at there own risk Having said that the Omani Gear Hack allows the engine to rev as high as 6500RPM without the the gear upshifting on its own and without the RPM dieing when it hits the limit, this effectively turns our electronically limited cars into beasts when climbing high dunes! It unlocks the full potential of the car in a scary way, yet I repeat this solution is far from perfect but does the job of holding the gear very well.

Attached is a detailed guide on how to do the Omani gear hack to prevent/stop your Pajero from upshifting gears in sport mode

Solution 2. Unichip RPM Cutoff: This is the less intrusive solution using Unichip to limit the RPM to 5200. The Unichip ECU piggy back computer with the RPM cutt off option allows you to put a limit on the RPM to prevent the gear from autoshifting in sports mode. Unichip comes with a 5 map selector, so you set one of the maps on the RPM limit at 5200 then car will not upshift on all gears when in tip tronic mode! This is useful for easy drives and smaller dunes. However, if you plan on climbing big dunes and need the full 6500 RPM range then the above Omani Hack solution is the way to go.

I personally run both solutions on my car and alternate depending on how aggressive the dune climb is.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by speedwave; 19-12-22, 05:53 AM.

Comment

• fredericnuyttens
                      • Jan 2018
                      • Dubai

Greetings from Dubai :

Another offroader here trying to get rid of the Tiptronic upshifting problem. I am not so fond of using the Omani hack, as i want to keep the car in 4H, and definitely not OK with having the CEL light on.

I am currently looking at either of those options:

- Going for the Unichip rpm cutoff option.

- Installing a "racing shift light indicator". Would help me getting notification whenever i am near the upshifting point.

- Using a Bluetooth OBD adapter with Torque App, which also have a shift light indicator option.

I am using my 1999 MT Pajero for the more extreme stuff, but wifey is currently using our 2008 LWB Pajero for offroading, and the upshift issue is pretty dangerous while doing sideslopes.

Thanks !

Comment

• DXBPAJERO
                        • Jul 2020
                        • UAE

Good day!

Speedwave,

where to source the unichip piggy back in dubai i'd like to have 1 for my SWB 08 pajero, just to hold the RPM not to autoshift while climbing small dunes is enough for me. is it possibe to use 4H 4x4 gear select if i opt to do the omani gear hack mods? im not into extreme desert offroading. overnight desert camp and a novice dune bashing is good enough for me.

Have fun and safe drive mate!!!

Cheers,
                        DXBPAJERO
                        Last edited by DXBPAJERO; 22-07-20, 11:24 PM.

Comment

• speedwave
                          • Jul 2010
                          • Dubai

Originally posted by DXBPAJERO View Post
                          Good day!

Speedwave,

where to source the unichip piggy back in dubai i'd like to have 1 for my SWB 08 pajero, just to hold the RPM not to autoshift while climbing small dunes is enough for me. is it possibe to use 4H 4x4 gear select if i opt to do the omani gear hack mods? im not into extreme desert offroading. overnight desert camp and a novice dune bashing is good enough for me.

Have fun and safe drive mate!!!

Cheers,
                          DXBPAJERO
                          Hey man you can search for MOCA in the UAE, they are the official unichip tuners. Just show them my car picture and they will know what to do. If you don't want the omani hack ask them to add an rpm limit at 5200 for one of the maps. This will prevent autoshifting in sport mode and good for easy drives. If you need the full rpm range then i would recommend to go for the omani hack

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X