• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ent
    Valued Member
    • Apr 2014
    • Tasmania

Hi OJ

Missed this thread. Still going well I hope?

Cheers
    2014 PC Challenger, manual, factory tow-bar, factory front diff protector, TJM inter-cooler plate, Bushskinz manual transmission protection plate, ProRack S16 roof racks, front elocker, Drummond Motor Sport front struts, custom 16mm King rear springs with Bilstein Dampeners, Buzz Rack Runner 3 bike platform, Eclipse Nav head unit, GME TX3800BW UHF, 16x8 CSA Raptor rims, 265/75R16 Maxxis MT-762, orToyo AT/2 265/70R16 Triton rims, BFGoodrich 235/85/R16 Triton rims, or Factory tyres and rims.

Comment

• old Jack
      Regular
      • Jun 2011
      • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by Ent View Post
      Hi OJ

Missed this thread. Still going well I hope?

Cheers
      Yes Ent,

Still very happy with the replacement cones, I have done another 4 trips with approx 2650kg gross weights since fitting, compression performance is excellent even after getting a "little air" coming over a jump up at speed.

It would be interesting to see how they go on a softer sprung Challenger than, as an alternative to airbags.

cheers, old Jack.
      2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
      MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Ent
        Valued Member
        • Apr 2014
        • Tasmania

Hi OJ

Assuming that they fully compress tempting for DooSo if a mainland trip comes up. Not a fan of airbags so might be a good solution providing the rear does not "drag too much". But even then might be an option to run at "standard" factory height of 552mm due to load and trim the front to match so would rely on these to deal with corrugations that overpower the 16mm rear spring. While this would sacrifice some ground clearance, as a single vehicle I would not be looking to push the limits as I would in Tassie in a convoy. Therefore not likely to miss the 25mm extra height. If worried I could sneak up a profile on tyre and claw back half of that lost clearance.

Mental note, must build up arm muscles before adjusting front height and get rigger gloves as the supplied wrench has rather sharp edges

Cheers
        2014 PC Challenger, manual, factory tow-bar, factory front diff protector, TJM inter-cooler plate, Bushskinz manual transmission protection plate, ProRack S16 roof racks, front elocker, Drummond Motor Sport front struts, custom 16mm King rear springs with Bilstein Dampeners, Buzz Rack Runner 3 bike platform, Eclipse Nav head unit, GME TX3800BW UHF, 16x8 CSA Raptor rims, 265/75R16 Maxxis MT-762, orToyo AT/2 265/70R16 Triton rims, BFGoodrich 235/85/R16 Triton rims, or Factory tyres and rims.

Comment

• cannonsjs
          • Mar 2014
          • Melbourne

After some advice regarding suspension setup from OJ I fitted a set of the Pedders 5899 bump stops. I was looking for a solution to handle the relatively light weight I carry in the back on a day to day basis, but then being able to handle the additional weight when towing the camper on holiday. Most people tend to go the airbag route when dealing with big changes to loads but OJ suggested the Pedders bump stops as a more reliable solution. I had them fitted before a trip away along the SA East Coast and am happy to report they performed excellently. With all the gear in the back of the car and the camper hooked up, they are just touching the lower spring seats. We only travelled on fairly mild off-road terrain but they came into their own when climbing a dune and having to maintain a bit of momentum over the bumps. Where the previous bump stops would have provided virtually no assistance the Pedders ones help control the load and the suspension didn't bottom out at all.

For a small outlay of $124 for the pair I feel they are a very worthwhile investment.
          2016 NX Pajero GLX - Bushkinz Bash Plates, 50mm Ultimate Suspension Lift, Uniden 8050S, Projecta Dual Battery Kit, Kuhmo AT51
          2014 PC Challenger Base - Bushskinz & MM Bash Plates, Uniden 8050S, Projecta Dual Battery Kit, Falken Wildpeak AT02

Comment

• old Jack
            Regular
            • Jun 2011

Originally posted by cannonsjs View Post
            After some advice regarding suspension setup from OJ I fitted a set of the Pedders 5899 bump stops. I was looking for a solution to handle the relatively light weight I carry in the back on a day to day basis, but then being able to handle the additional weight when towing the camper on holiday. Most people tend to go the airbag route when dealing with big changes to loads but OJ suggested the Pedders bump stops as a more reliable solution. I had them fitted before a trip away along the SA East Coast and am happy to report they performed excellently. With all the gear in the back of the car and the camper hooked up, they are just touching the lower spring seats. We only travelled on fairly mild off-road terrain but they came into their own when climbing a dune and having to maintain a bit of momentum over the bumps. Where the previous bump stops would have provided virtually no assistance the Pedders ones help control the load and the suspension didn't bottom out at all.

For a small outlay of $124 for the pair I feel they are a very worthwhile investment.
            Did you end up changing the rear coils to King KCRR-23 at the same time?

cheers, OJ.
            Last edited by old Jack; 06-02-16, 08:52 PM.
            2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.

Comment

• Ent
              Valued Member
              • Apr 2014
              • Tasmania

Hi OJ

Excellent thread. Couple of questions.

Did your heavy springs scrag out before the standard bumpstops fully compressed?

Do the new compression stops reduce maximum compression with standard springs? If not then I will get a set.

As you have figured gearing DooSo up for mainland trip so looking at either re-installing Dobinson 17mm springs for that trip, or mirroring your setup. VSB demise means not so worried about height though like the idea I am within MMA's range as sure the front CVs and tyres appreciate this. Front is a joy as just out with the C spanner and vehicle can be trimmed to any sensible height.

My custom 16mm variable diameter springs have worked a treat in normal use and moderate load. Makes me wonder why MMA did not go down that path. Using the low range crawler gear DooSo now happy to ride over rough stuff and not compress the springs greatly. They have stood up well to moderate loads unlike original where DooSo dragged his backside. DooSo very stable on the road and needs no additional care compared to a car.

In fact I now consider DooSo a "proper" 4x4 that can go were any off the showroom floor Defender can go. That was my bench mark rather than Tonka Toy.

Comment

• old Jack
                Regular
                • Jun 2011

Replies in blue below;

Originally posted by Ent View Post
                Hi OJ

Excellent thread. Couple of questions.

Did your heavy springs scrag out before the standard bumpstops fully compressed?
                No I do not believe they do based on my calculations.
                More info in this thread;

Summarised here;

Do the new compression stops reduce maximum compression with standard springs? If not then I will get a set.
                I have not tested this but if you are concerned about losing wheel travel, I suspect the axle articulation stops will still make contact with one wheel compressed and the other extended since the cones are inboard of the articulation stops.

As you have figured gearing DooSo up for mainland trip so looking at either re-installing Dobinson 17mm springs for that trip, or mirroring your setup.
                If I was to do it again and with what I know now I would be having a set of King custom coils made rather than Lovells custom coils so I could have tapered wire as well as variable rate. Caution that running rear EBH's over 595mm will result in driveline vibration at 35-45kph.
                VSB demise means not so worried about height though like the idea I am within MMA's range as sure the front CVs and tyres appreciate this. Front is a joy as just out with the C spanner and vehicle can be trimmed to any sensible height.
                Even with the changes to VSB14 you still must maintain at least 2/3's of the original well travel in each direction. From and engineering point of view 2/3 compression and 1/3 extension is ideal for load carrying at GVM and off road work.
                OJ.

Comment

• whereswes
                  • Feb 2015
                  • Melbourne, Australia

Hi Ent, just thought I'd throw my 2 bobs in for what it's worth.

After fitting Ultimate Suspension my rear end was bottoming out on full spring compression. Not good.

Fitted some extended bump stops but they were way to harsh. Trimmed the bump stops to provide by my reckoning 5mm above full spring compression but still pretty harsh (springs maybe too complaint and something I still need to address).

Since fitted Peddars cones and no more banging in the rear end.

Articulation impacted? Thinking it must be if the coils aren't bottoming out and the bump stops are rarely touched but happy to accept the compromise.

Cheers
                  Wes
                  2014 Auto PC Challenger, TJM Bar with Centre/Side LED Bars & 12,000lb Winch, Uniden UHF, ARB Rack with single row LED Bar & Awning, Safari Snorkel, Boos Bash Plates, 265-75R16 BFG KM2s, 100AH AGM Battery and Redarc DC-DC to power Waeco, Custom rear interior, HR Towbar, Combo suspension (Lovells front/ARB rear), Brown Davis LR tank, Diff Breathers, 2 1/2" S/S cat back, ScangaugeII, Munji EGR controller, Bushskinz side steps, DPChip, LM8,

Comment

• Ent
                    Valued Member
                    • Apr 2014
                    • Tasmania

Hi OJ

Refresh my memory what is the maximum front EBH to preserve the 1/3 2/3 legal requirement? From that I will add 10mm and that should be the maximum rear EBH for normal load. The trick is as usual what is the "normal" load. I found with 605mm limited issue with harmonics but the Drummond rear dampener (since removed as just wrong) fouled the brake lines so harmonic noise came from them. Reading suggests for some reason the manual is a little more forgiving in this area than the auto.

But lets assume 605mm is maximum never exceeded rear height, ie unloaded apart from driver and full tank. Lowest height wanted at GVM say 555mm and thus allowing 50mm spring drop.

Assume a 1:1 leverage factor so 220lb spings would result in 100 x 2 x 2 = 400kg load. We know diver seat is about the centre point so assuming load is there then 800kg load which is bit beyond GVM. Windup front springs and bingo in business. But that is where the wheels fall off as load more rear based and especially so if I go for the Trektyre solution. Heck back to ground zero in the calculations.

Lets say I decide front EBH of 568mm and rear at 577mm fully loaded then to avoid going over 605mm empty height so say 28mm of travel to play with. Spring rate then needs to be around 400 lb which is one impressive spring. That assumes load 50/50 front and rear.

Lets say it is 25/75 and 800 kilograms (ok nearer 700 but lets keep the numbers simple) then 600 kilogram rear. 600/2*2.2 660 lb spring for 25mm drop, or 330 lb for 50mm drop. Given spring rate practicality then still looking at 50mm drop so rear 555mm and trim front to match at 555mm and hope taller 15mm from 235 85R16 will keep me out of the ruts.

Ok OJ lets aim for perfection and email the spring wizard Mark King and ask him for the perfect custom spring for say 577mm front and rear EBH, or what ever the maximum legal front EBH is. The trick is unloaded EBH height at 595mm is your pain threshold and mine is 605mm. But your unladen weight is higher as you leave draws and other stuff in. The compromise is the spring will likely scrag out before the bump stops but the Pedder cones should help a lot so accept that trade-off. Free height needs to be long enough to trap springs at full articulation but bonus is variable wire option as used in mine when going down the King spring option. Basically a heavier load bearing version of my spring.

Your thoughts? Or is there something off the shelf that will work? I figure $300 for new springs cheaper than dragging DooSo's backside around. My custom springs are near ideal for Tassie and my usage patterns but no so much for long outback adventure at GVM. The 17mm Dobinson will help and work with my vehicle unloaded (just) but get a bit iffy on the trapping ability and might scrag out before the bumpstops.

Cheers Ent

Comment

• Johno_pb
                      • Aug 2015
                      • Gladstone

Worked a treat

I have 2" ultimate lift hd raised in the front (lots of accessories) and comfort raised in the back as I'm not carrying any wieght until traveling and then I'm loaded to the brim so after reading oj's hard work I decided the pedders cones were for me couldn't be happier did 570km on Fraser Island fully loaded and even when I got a little airborne off an unseen wash out it was handled with ease and only just contacted the stops gently I wAs pleasantly surprised and very happy with the set up

It does hinder rear articulation offroad a little if lightly loaded but I've got the diff lock so doesn't really worry me and well worth the trade off for the great ride and load carrying ability when fully loaded I just start touching the cones so there ready to back up the already great ultimate suspension I'm a happy man
                      2010 PB Challenger manual,ultimate lift kit HD front comfort rear, 5899 bump mod, Hankook MT RT03 265/75/16 on black 16x7 triton steel rims, dobinson bullbar, tmax 9000lb winch, ipf spotties, cargo barrier, offroad downunder dual battery tray ns70 start 105ah aux, redarc vsd, Bushskinz 4mm bash plates x2, ironman 65lt dual zone fridge

Comment

• cannonsjs
                        • Mar 2014
                        • Melbourne

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
                        Did you end up changing the rear coils to King KCRR-23 at the same time?
                        cheers, OJ.
                        Hi OJ,

Sorry for the late reply. Missed your post initially. Yes, I did the springs at the same time. The setup is working very well for what we do. As far as I can tell the Pedders bump stops have made virtually no difference to the compression of the suspension.

It's not very scientific but the following 2 photos show the articulation I am getting with the KCRR-23 and Pedders bump stops while lightly loaded on a day trip. It must only be mm if it is any less than when using the stock stops.

Last edited by cannonsjs; 22-08-16, 04:54 PM. Reason: .
                        2016 NX Pajero GLX - Bushkinz Bash Plates, 50mm Ultimate Suspension Lift, Uniden 8050S, Projecta Dual Battery Kit, Kuhmo AT51
                        2014 PC Challenger Base - Bushskinz & MM Bash Plates, Uniden 8050S, Projecta Dual Battery Kit, Falken Wildpeak AT02

Comment

• Peebee
                          • Jan 2011
                          • South Fremantle

Reviving an old thread, does anyone know if these Peddars bump stops can be used with the original rear springs in a 2012 XLS. My rear springs feel as if they're bottoming out at times (had a similar experience with my PA Challenger before swapping to King springs) but not really ready to change springs yet. I hope I can change the bump stops first, see how they go and later swap the springs if necessary.

Comment

• Ent
                            Valued Member
                            • Apr 2014
                            • Tasmania

There should be no problem. But the ate intended as over load protection, rather get than to be active all the time.

Comment

• old Jack
                              Regular
                              • Jun 2011

Peddar 5899 cones are a direct bolt in replacement for the factory springs assist cones.
                              The coils need to be removed to fit them so it is more economical to change the coils at the same time. Best standard to plus 15mm coils are Kings KCRS-23, they will cost around $200 a pair, Peddars 5899 cost $125 a pair and between 1.5-2.5 hours to fit.

OJ.

Comment

• XLS PB Challenger
                                • May 2016
                                • Reynella East

Originally posted by Peebee View Post
                                Reviving an old thread, does anyone know if these Peddars bump stops can be used with the original rear springs in a 2012 XLS. My rear springs feel as if they're bottoming out at times (had a similar experience with my PA Challenger before swapping to King springs) but not really ready to change springs yet. I hope I can change the bump stops first, see how they go and later swap the springs if necessary.

Hi,

I have a set of Kings KCRS-23 springs for sale, not a lot of use, I had to change out because I need a spring to carry more weight.

PM me if interested

Cheers
                                Paul
                                2010 PB Challenger Auto - 265/60/18 Dick Cepek - MCC front bar - 9 inch LED kings spot lights- Safari Snorkel - 2 inch lift - REDARC BMS1230 Manager & REDARC TVMS - AUX battery in custom tray behind cargo trim - Jump start feature - 3inch Triton exhaust - morepower diesel chip - bash plates - 9.5 XP winch - Auto front locker - Automate - RV meter.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X