• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Blue Paj
    • Oct 2008
    • Bundaberg Qld

engine questions

hi i am looking to upgrade and i looking at nm onwards, i would prefer a diesel but a little bit out of my price range. anyway there seems to be some good buys in the 3.5 v6 with cars as low as $15 000 with 1400000kms and thats for and exceed.

questions is the 3.5 a good motor seems to be ok from reviews i have read ect
    also what is the 3.8 like as i have seen a few in my price range that would be good but i have heard they are thirsty
    1984 nb swb, 2.6lt, 2 - 2.5 inch lift, (lwb rear springs). Custom rust holes lol. some spot lights, alloy bullbar
  • LDV60
    • Aug 2009
    • Brisbane

Can't tell you anything about the 3.8 but our 3.5 is excellent. A bit heavy on the juice, but it is a big heavy car. If you think you're going to get better economy than a sedan then think again.

However the engine is strong and when looked after will do a huge number of k's.

I've heard some tiddlers around that the motors really only like Mitsubishi specified fluids, which we've pretty much stuck with.

Our car is an NM Exceed with 240,000km on it and not an engine rattle or noise to be heard and never misses a beat. Period.

I'd love a Diesel, mostly because the torque is a lot better and a bit cheaper to run. But overall I love my Paj.

My wife would shoot me if I suggested any other brand of 4WD as a replacement too. So I suppose that says something too.

Cheers
    Damien
    2010 NT Activ 3.2. White. Non OEM Tow Bar and all the Activ goodies. 55w HIDs. Bushskinz Intercooler and Sump Guards. ScanGuage. Safari Snorkel. Dobinsons Springs and Shocks. 5 watt Handheld UHF.

My other ride: Lexus IS250 X - in Red.

Comment

• Blue Paj
      • Oct 2008
      • Bundaberg Qld

cheers for that your car is exactly what i am looking at just less ks. how many ks to a tank do you get. it should be better then my vt ss which i only get about 400km around town also my old paj is thirsty and uses probably but 300-350 ish round town so aslong as its above 400ish i am happy
      1984 nb swb, 2.6lt, 2 - 2.5 inch lift, (lwb rear springs). Custom rust holes lol. some spot lights, alloy bullbar

Comment

• dolphin
        Valued Member
        • Jan 2008

i have owned my NM Exceed 3.5 litre auto for a few years now [ 160k on clock ] engine / transmission etc etc are perfect and fuel economy is close on 700 klms per 90 litres.
        NS 3.2 Diesel, Polor White , Black CSA Rims, HanKook Dynapro AT Tyres, 3 inch custom stainless steel exhaust with free flow Cat & Muffler, 50mm Lift, Old Man Emu Shocks and Springs, TJM Bullbar powder coated White, Custom 7mm Sump Guard & Transmission Guard, 8 inch LED Spotties plus 20 inch LED Light Bar, rear Reverse LED Light, ARB Roof Cage , Tiger11 Awning.

Comment

• Blue Paj
          • Oct 2008
          • Bundaberg Qld

700ks thats not too bad better then anything i own now buy i long shot. and the diesels only get about 900ish so i have heard. looks like i might be getting a 3.5

Comment

• ken47
            • Mar 2012
            • Yarrawonga Northern Victoria

Just remember to check to see if the timing belt has / was changed at the 100,000 ks .If there is any doubt and you are buying from a dealer tell them you want it changed .................................
            05 NP Platinum 3.2 DID Mods yet to come
            Other ride 07 BF Ghia
            http://www.travelvictoria.com.au/yarrawonga/photos/
            http://s198.photobucket.com/albums/aa10/pathy06/#

Comment

• Blue Paj
              • Oct 2008
              • Bundaberg Qld

yeah did read that on net but thanks for the heads up, seems like it does a bit of damage if it breaks.

Comment

• BrisVegas
                Valued Member
                • Mar 2009
                • Townsville, QLD

Another option is the NM 2.8 diesel. They're not super common, but I like mine. It gets 10l/100km and even though it's the old tec diesel, it does the job.

Something like this would be good buying...

'Shrek' 2002 NM GLS 2.8TD manual. ARB bar. HD King springs & Bilsteins. Bridgestone D674LT. Milford Cargo Barrier. Bushskinz intercooler & sump guards. Exedy solid flywheel. 25mm core radiator. 2.5" exhaust. Airtec snorkel. Engel MT45, Projecta 150A isolator, 120A AGM battery in 3rd row. ARB bar, Fyrlyts & 30" LED lightbar Pics + 2015 Isuzu MU-X with all the fruit.

Comment

• Betz
                  • May 2012
                  • 'stralia

Originally posted by BrisVegas View Post
                  Another option is the NM 2.8 diesel. They're not super common, but I like mine. It gets 10l/100km and even though it's the old tec diesel, it does the job.

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/d...5&sort=default

I love my 2.8 NM GL 5pd, no frills but still very quiet and civilized.

I get 11l/100km around town with LT A/T's, loves to tow the $1100kg boat/trailer package.

While the 3.2 would be the choice the 2.8 should do the job and be as cheap as a good petrol model.
                  2001 NM 2.8tdi GL, 5 spd Manual, MM Bullbar, Dual Batt, 400w Inverter, Boo's intercooler, sump and tranny guards, Dobinsons HD raised springs, Strut/Spring spacers, Bilstein shocks, Front Aussie Locker, 255/85x16 Cooper Discoverer S/T, much more to come....

Comment

• Blue Paj
                    • Oct 2008
                    • Bundaberg Qld

yeah i thought about them too but thought that the power would have made them a bit sluggish thou i have never driven on, i have driven the 3.2 and it was really good plenty of power ect.

Comment

• Blue Paj
                      • Oct 2008
                      • Bundaberg Qld

Originally posted by BrisVegas View Post

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/d...5&sort=default
                      yeah that is a really good buy just a same i live in qld. acutally about 4hrs north of you in bundaberg

Comment

• BrisVegas
                        Valued Member
                        • Mar 2009
                        • Townsville, QLD

Originally posted by Blue Paj View Post
                        yeah i thought about them too but thought that the power would have made them a bit sluggish thou i have never driven on, i have driven the 3.2 and it was really good plenty of power ect.
                        For sure, a 3.2 would leave one for dead. The torque of the 2.8 is about the same as the 3.5 petrol, but at lower revs, so they lope along pretty well. I think if you're planning to tow something heavy then I'd pay extra for a 3.2.

The petrol is way more popular though. I was a bit scared off by the fuel consumption, but in the grand scheme of things fuel is just one cost of ownership.
                        'Shrek' 2002 NM GLS 2.8TD manual. ARB bar. HD King springs & Bilsteins. Bridgestone D674LT. Milford Cargo Barrier. Bushskinz intercooler & sump guards. Exedy solid flywheel. 25mm core radiator. 2.5" exhaust. Airtec snorkel. Engel MT45, Projecta 150A isolator, 120A AGM battery in 3rd row. ARB bar, Fyrlyts & 30" LED lightbar Pics + 2015 Isuzu MU-X with all the fruit.

Comment

• Blue Paj
                          • Oct 2008
                          • Bundaberg Qld

lol yeah i wont be towing heavy things only small boats and if i do tow a big load it will only be round town and once year. now i am at a cross roads lol. i gotta sell my cars first so something good may come up. also fuel is about 12.3 combined for the 3.5 and the 3.2 is about 10 so not a huge difference but a difference non the less.

how much you get from the 2.8

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X