Below Nav Bar

Collapse

Decision time. Replace the Paj with a Triton ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • paceman
    Valued Member
    • Feb 2018
    • Mackay

Originally posted by 2bad4u View Post
    i got 50L stackable ones from Bunnings for $15ea and I just load which ever ones I need. I have one each for fishing, recovery, work, spares and just a spare one for odds and ends. I usually only have 1 in the car but on a beach fishing trip I will have 3.

The good thing is that I can stack them on one side and there is still room on the other side for my Engel.

Here's the link -----> https://www.bunnings.com.au/ezy-stor...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
    thanks, mate...

do you have any sort of shelf in the back of the Paj, or do they just sit on the cargo floor?
    Paceman's NT Pajero

Comment

• Dicko1
      Valued Member
      • Dec 2014
      • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by Greg Grey Grumbly View Post
      Valid points Jason, I have not researched if the GVM can be upgraded, but would think that it could be, based on the basic ladder frame Triton construction.

As for the weight problem, caravanning is always about trade-offs, you put something in you usually have to take something out. An example is a generator which I don’t carry, but others would see that as an essential. The 80kg roof limit is another tight one but I now carry a tinny that weighs in at 63kg, so with racks and a removable home built boat loader, I can stay under the roof limit.

As well I chose a 10hp two stroke outboard that weighs only 26kg and is carried in the cargo space on an Almac slide. But I don’t have drawers in the back which are heavy and in my case unnecessary. I’ve also upgraded the rear springs and having now been away few times now with the tinny it all works pretty well.

I come out of the aircraft game where weight trade off is a daily activity and something I’m always thinking about. Every trip away I end up taking something out.

Greg

One of the better weight saving ideas I found was replacing the heavy cast iron cook pot for a Bedourie......more versatile and way lighter....Every little bit helps.
      Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• Ian H
        Valued Member
        • May 2015
        • Melbourne

I solved the issue of me disliking the Isuzu.

The new 2020 model looks much better and more like a Triton.

I'll sit back and see how the Paj goes with the weight and change if it all gets too hard.

Appreciate all the feedback.
        2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• Jasonmc73
          Valued Member
          • Jun 2019
          • Brisbane

Originally posted by Ian H View Post
          I solved the issue of me disliking the Isuzu.

The new 2020 model looks much better and more like a Triton.

I'll sit back and see how the Paj goes with the weight and change if it all gets too hard.

Appreciate all the feedback.
          Wise choice, think twice & buy once, wait for the Mazda version of Isuzu platform possibly as well, could be a nicer finished vehicle + isuzu will have ironed out hopefully any glaring faults with new model
          And once ACCC is finished with Mazda in the courts they'll possibly be quite that much better than times gone past with aftersales as well
          Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

• Ian H
            Valued Member
            • May 2015
            • Melbourne

Yes, buying a new model can be a problem.

Remember when Microsoft launched Vista

But that's another story.
            2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• Jasonmc73
              Valued Member
              • Jun 2019
              • Brisbane

Originally posted by Ian H View Post
              Yes, buying a new model can be a problem.

Remember when Microsoft launched Vista

But that's another story.
              I sure do lived with it at work

Also worked for Zupps in workshop moons ago doing pre-deliveries & wiring cop cars when VT Commodore was released, new model.
              Nothing major but definately teething problems.
              One problem had to do with floor pan front half was on top of rear half, created a nice lip for water to enter in the rain & sealed poorly, therefore rear floors often came back with wet carpets early on.

Unlike Pajero which Noah rounded up the Elephants with
              Which you would hope simple things will have been adressed & plenty of parts available on the wreckers lists of course.
              Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

• old Jack
                Regular
                • Jun 2011
                • Adelaide, South Australia.

Article on towing capacity and payloads fir dual cabs.
                Comprehensive 4X4 Insurance for 4X4 Enthusiasts. We cover your 4WD and its mods and accessories on and off-road, with Aus-wide coverage for your touring gear too. Get a quote today!

OJ.
                2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Jasonmc73
                  Valued Member
                  • Jun 2019
                  • Brisbane

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
                  Article on towing capacity and payloads fir dual cabs.
                  Comprehensive 4X4 Insurance for 4X4 Enthusiasts. We cover your 4WD and its mods and accessories on and off-road, with Aus-wide coverage for your touring gear too. Get a quote today!

OJ.
                  Yeah tow with one quire often, some of the figures are fantasy.

Triton or Navara up around high 2000kg's certainly know the things behind you

New Navara read te plaquard inisde the door 3500kg's!
                  Geez stuck me head under rear end not that heavy in there.

But they do have higher GVM, not convinced with light weight rear end they do better but legally they do.
                  It is a crazy world.

Comment

• old Jack
                    Regular
                    • Jun 2011
                    • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by Jasonmc73 View Post

But they do have higher GVM, not convinced with light weight rear end they do better but legally they do.
                    It is a crazy world.
                    It is a dangerous crazy world, allowing towing of 1.5x the Tare weight of the tow vehicle, especially at speeds over 60kph. Not only is it a case of the "tail wagging the dog" but also the "tail is too big for the dog".

OJ.
                    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Dicko1
                      Valued Member
                      • Dec 2014
                      • Cairns, FNQ

It is a crazy world.

Nothing but pure greed at all costs. Once the vehicle leaves the showroom floor they couldnt care less. Warranty?...only if you fight tooth and nail for it!! If you buy a vehicle, dual cab, and want to tow 3 tonne...your kidding yourself. See plenty of posts that even state towing 2.5 tonne with dual cabs, or even a Pajero, it is easy. I say bullshit...unless you travel on super smooth highways with buggerall traffic. I tow 1800-2000kg often behind my Pajero and on flat highways its ok...anywhere else you know its there and have to have your wits about you!. For the sake of your own safety, the families and other motorists you owe it to everyone to really do your homework before purchasing a tow vehicle or a huge monstrosity of an aluminium wobbly box...

Dicko. FNQ

Comment

• erad
                        Valued Member
                        • Mar 2015
                        • Cooma NSW

About 40 years ago, I was working in Thailand. In Bangkok they used to have utilitiy vehicles fitted with seats in the tray. Three or four steps to allow the very nice young ladies to get into the back without splitting the seams in their skirts... Problem - there would be so many people in the back that more people would have to ride on the steps as well. Result - quite a few of the utes would have bent chassis. This even happened to the 3 tonne trucks like Hino and izuzu - I saw a few of these with bent chassis. It was not uncommon to see a heavily loaded ute (SipBlau - Sip = 4, Blau = wheel) have its front wheels leave the ground as they started off from standstill. Scary stuff.

The Years 2010 - 2020: I don't know about Thailand any more, but I do see a lot of utes towing LARGE caravans and trailers. And I know that the problems of bent chassis are still prevalent - not only Tritons, but pretty well any if the utes. They will not bend a chassis if they tow straight on a flat surface, but if they go over a whoopsie speed hump outback at speed, the ute will be going down the other side whilst the caravan is still going up. End result - a heavy download on the towball and a large uneven gap between the cab and the ute tray and the rear bumper dragging on the ground. As far as I know, this problem still exists with utes of any breed (at least the lighter ones - maybe not the F350 or the like), so if I was looking for a new tug to tow my juggernaut around Oz, I would steer clear of any of the utes.

Comment

• Jasonmc73
                          Valued Member
                          • Jun 2019
                          • Brisbane

Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post
                          Nothing but pure greed at all costs. Once the vehicle leaves the showroom floor they couldnt care less. Warranty?...only if you fight tooth and nail for it!! If you buy a vehicle, dual cab, and want to tow 3 tonne...your kidding yourself. See plenty of posts that even state towing 2.5 tonne with dual cabs, or even a Pajero, it is easy. I say bullshit...unless you travel on super smooth highways with buggerall traffic. I tow 1800-2000kg often behind my Pajero and on flat highways its ok...anywhere else you know its there and have to have your wits about you!. For the sake of your own safety, the families and other motorists you owe it to everyone to really do your homework before purchasing a tow vehicle or a huge monstrosity of an aluminium wobbly box...

I agree & I tow weight regulary with dual cab ute.

Weekly under 1.5 to 2 tonneish in the warmer months, less winter time, which is fine no issues for me, my camper is similar weights & i'm use to towing doesn't bother me all good & work trailer is max width, much wider than ute

BUT I do tow up to 2500kg's - 3000Kg's, small tractors, commercial mowers.
                          At this weight, in my opinion its not a real relaxing drive thats for sure, no one has to tell me vehicle is at it's limits, I reckon I can tell! .
                          Not relaxing on highway & off the highway country roads slower but less people about, steady as she goes, probably more relaxing for me, but I drive to conditions & load.

Let us not forget the width of trailer or in a travellers case, huge monstrosity of an aluminium wobbly box width & wind/ trucks blowing it about, takes up the whole lane, no room for error.

I also use small Iveco truck, tray back not towing, auto or overide adjustable airbag rear end, handles same heavier weights just fine & big comfy seat as well!!
                          Nice to drive, comfortable ordeal, with plenty of squirt even when loaded.

Comment

• Dicko1
                            Valued Member
                            • Dec 2014
                            • Cairns, FNQ

I agree & I tow weight regulary with dual cab ute.

Weekly under 1.5 to 2 tonneish in the warmer months, less winter time, which is fine no issues for me, my camper is similar weights & i'm use to towing doesn't bother me all good & work trailer is max width, much wider than ute

BUT I do tow up to 2500kg's - 3000Kg's, small tractors, commercial mowers.
                            At this weight, in my opinion its not a real relaxing drive thats for sure, no one has to tell me vehicle is at it's limits, I reckon I can tell! .
                            Not relaxing on highway & off the highway country roads slower but less people about, steady as she goes, probably more relaxing for me, but I drive to conditions & load.

You must be doing something wrong! Many who tow these weights say its easy......lol.

Let us not forget the width of trailer or in a travellers case, huge monstrosity of an aluminium wobbly box width & wind/ trucks blowing it about, takes up the whole lane, no room for error.

I also use small Iveco truck, tray back not towing, auto or overide adjustable airbag rear end, handles same heavier weights just fine & big comfy seat as well!!
                            Nice to drive, comfortable ordeal, with plenty of squirt even when loaded.

Commonsense and realistic statements...
                            Dicko. FNQ

Comment

• erad
                              Valued Member
                              • Mar 2015
                              • Cooma NSW

"Commonsense and realistic statements.."

I couldn't agree more. Sadly, the laws as they are currently allow a numpty to hook up a juggernaut behind a Hyundai Getz and as long as the weights are OK, all is legal. The laws are made by numpties as well. I have been towing caravans for over 50 years now, and (touch wood) have never had a problem. Before I bought my first caravan (a used one), I took it for a test drive "to check that it towed correctly ie not crabbing etc". The real reason was to check if my tug had enough grunt and stability to tow it safely.

Back when I was 12 I was driving tractor/trailer rigs in orchards and even parking semi trailers to load and unload at that age. But they are easier to manage than a car and a caravan, and are much more stable. Much as I hate regulation, I think it is well overdue that before anyone can tow even a box trailer (let alone a caravan) they have to pass a simple test. That test should include some maneuvering at moderate speed.

One of my main concerns with utes towing caravans is the distance from the towball to the rear axle, and the relatively light weight over the rear axle. The potential for the caravan to wag the ute is much higher than with a station wagon or a car. It is OK if the driver is aware of this, but utes are so much cheaper these days that they can become problematical with inexperienced drivers.

Comment

• Ian H
                                Valued Member
                                • May 2015
                                • Melbourne

Originally posted by erad View Post
                                [I]
                                One of my main concerns with utes towing caravans is the distance from the towball to the rear axle, and the relatively light weight over the rear axle. .
                                That's the big problem I see with the Triton. The overhang is too much compared to the others.

I agree with all the comments about crazy specs up to 3500kg. I've done a lot of caravan towing, since I had an 18' Viscount in the 1980's and towed it with a Falcon and no WDH ! I still cringe at the thought.

You don't have to travel far to see how many rigs are just an accident waiting to happen. That's why I'm restricting the size to 17'6" and around 2500kg.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X