• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • old Jack
    Regular
    • Jun 2011
    • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by NFT5 View Post

There is no way that any engineer in their right mind would introduce dirty exhaust into the clean side of the intake on an engine if there wasn't the need to meet some arbitrary test. It's sheer madness when we filter our intake air and fuel to almost ridiculous levels.

But I do understand that planet-wide we need to change our ways and EGR is a step along the way. I have, more than once, been accused of being out of step with the majority and EGR is a step that I am willing to not take because of the long term damage potential to the engine, the cost of having to clean the intake and the cost of having to replace/repair the EGR system itself.

No further analysis necessary.
    Agree. I know when my EGR was operating as per the factory program, the results were an increase in both fuel consumption and visible emission.
    I suspect my engine with 200,000+km would most likely produce less emission than a similar engine of the same age and kms that had used the factory EGR program.
    Rightly or wrongly I view my resistor mod not as a EGR delete, because the EGR valve still operates but it operates as per the factory program but with a modified input signal..

OJ.
    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• hanker
      • Jul 2023
      • Turkey

Folks, I have been through reading all posts i can find regarding the EGR delete for my stock 2011 Pajero 3.2 147kw(200hp) vehicle and as a result i am pretty confused on selecting which method to pick for doing the job. In summary:
      -Somes have used the resistor mod.
      -somes have installed blanking plates.
      -Some do both while some also drilling holes into blanking plates.
      -Some preferred ECU remapping to keep EGR valve closed and still adding a plate to guarantee the valve malfunction.

In all routes there are many happy with their setup while there are lots of posts about downsides. For instance;
      -resistor mod may cause run-ons and shaking at shut-down.
      -Some claim blanking plates standalone may bring pressure loss and throw error codes and therefor drill holes to manipulate.

I spoke to Arnold from Mitsi Tech since his expertise is mentioned in many posts and he suggested me that there is no need to play with ECU and leave factory mapping as it is and it is only enough installing blanking plates to intake and exhaust sides ot the EGR valve without drilling any holes. He said this is just enough to bypass the negative effect of EGR system and still keeping it operational without throwing error codes.

I will b every pleased if there is any of you that can help me to clear my mind on this subject.
      Supports pretty much appreciated.

Thanks,
      Han

Comment

• Dicko1
        Valued Member
        • Dec 2014
        • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by hanker View Post
        Folks, I have been through reading all posts i can find regarding the EGR delete for my stock 2011 Pajero 3.2 147kw(200hp) vehicle and as a result i am pretty confused on selecting which method to pick for doing the job. In summary:
        -Somes have used the resistor mod.
        -somes have installed blanking plates.
        -Some do both while some also drilling holes into blanking plates.
        -Some preferred ECU remapping to keep EGR valve closed and still adding a plate to guarantee the valve malfunction.

In all routes there are many happy with their setup while there are lots of posts about downsides. For instance;
        -resistor mod may cause run-ons and shaking at shut-down.
        -Some claim blanking plates standalone may bring pressure loss and throw error codes and therefor drill holes to manipulate.

I spoke to Arnold from Mitsi Tech since his expertise is mentioned in many posts and he suggested me that there is no need to play with ECU and leave factory mapping as it is and it is only enough installing blanking plates to intake and exhaust sides ot the EGR valve without drilling any holes. He said this is just enough to bypass the negative effect of EGR system and still keeping it operational without throwing error codes.

I will b every pleased if there is any of you that can help me to clear my mind on this subject.
        Supports pretty much appreciated.

Thanks,
        Han
        I had a plug in EGR delete on my NW for around 6 years (I think). Worked no worries. 3 years ago I had the ecu remapped and they did the EGR delete as part of the tune. I sold the plug in EGR cheap to a fellow forum member. Combined with a Provent 200 catch can and some form of EGR delete virtually from brand new , I have never had a negative experience with the engine at all. I know my manifold is very clean and my oil lasts several thousand kilometers before starting to turn dark. Never had a code thrown.
        Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
          Valued Member
          • Aug 2016
          • Greater Sydney

Had an EGR delete cable in for 340,000kl with no drama.

Comment

• redbruce
            Administrator
            • Sep 2019
            • Melbourne

The delete cable works and is easily reversible if required (law, diagnostics, etc).

The blank plate works but on some cars needs a 6mm hole drilled in it to prevent an engine EGR code. Still lets exhaust in so seems pointless to me.

Blank plates on both sides of EGR is a lot more work than the resistor mod or delete cable and the latter work fine.
            PCOV Member 1954
            MY15 NX Exceed, Auto Mate PRO, Paddle shift, Vlads TC mod, EVC U9, Unicorn Power upgraded intercooler, Ultimate Diesel tune, Fuel manager 2 micron post filter, Redarc BCDC + Lithium, MM tow hitch, Teshonka brake controller, Provent catch can, GME 3350 UHF, RHS Offroad bash set, Falken Wildpeak AT3W LT265/70R17, TPMS, Dobinson IMS/Kings HHD/EHD 40mm lift, Rhino bars, Drifta 270 awning, spare tyre lift, Ultraguage MX 1.4, Ultravision 205 4.5K lightbar, auxiliary PWR 23 row transmission cooler and radiator bypass, upgraded bar/plate intercooler, KAON barrier and shelf, XTM kitchen and drawer, ARB Smartbar. Stockman Extreme pod trailer with Drifta Stockton RTT.

Comment

• hanker
              • Jul 2023
              • Turkey

Thanks for the replies mates.

I understand the procedure with resistor mod and seems logical. Although just in case i want to mention a post from superchips which somehow didn't take to many attention in it's posted thread.
              HTML Code:
              https://www.pajeroforum.com.au/forum/vehicles/generation-4-3-pajero/22974-egr-blanking-plate-nw?q=shut
              You might already seen it but Superchips and Cate03 is suggesting that when EGR is blanked, it causes the map sensor to fail by detecting a positive pressure from the egr but not from the turbo which in the end causes poor air flow bringing surge and loss of power. Therefor he suggests to port some air from the turbo by drilling a big hole in the throttle plate etc.

I don't know if this is something to be credited but if i am not mistaking when you keep the egr valve in off position by the resistor mod, doesn't this also mean that the valve will also act as a permenant blanking plate and in the end should also bring the the same pressure diff effect which is failing the MAP sensor ?

Do you think that this is a concern?

Best Regards,

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
                Valued Member
                • Aug 2016
                • Greater Sydney

I understand the procedure with resistor mod and seems logical. Although just in case i want to mention a post from superchips which somehow didn't take to many attention in it's posted thread.
                HTML Code:
                https://www.pajeroforum.com.au/forum/vehicles/generation-4-3-pajero/22974-egr-blanking-plate-nw?q=shut
                You might already seen it but Superchips and Cate03 is suggesting that when EGR is blanked, it causes the map sensor to fail by detecting a positive pressure from the egr but not from the turbo which in the end causes poor air flow bringing surge and loss of power. Therefor he suggests to port some air from the turbo by drilling a big hole in the throttle plate etc.

I don't know if this is something to be credited but if i am not mistaking when you keep the egr valve in off position by the resistor mod, doesn't this also mean that the valve will also act as a permenant blanking plate and in the end should also bring the the same pressure diff effect which is failing the MAP sensor ?

Best Regards,
                ALL OF THE ABOVE IS A LOAD OF BOLLOCKS.

As I've said twice in this thread, 340,000kl with a EGR delete cable and no problems.

Others here have had the the cable with no problems.

Thought you should also know, that Superchips also known as Chip Tuning sell EGR delete cables.

Comment

• pharb
                  Valued Member
                  • Jul 2007
                  • Tyers,Vic

HTML Code:

Best Regards,
                  When EGR opens the ECU expects specific pressure range at various points. With blanking plate when the EGR opens the ECU is expecting specific pressures, but not seeing them because blanking plate is blocking air flow, hence the small hole in blanking plate to allow somewhat correct pressures, but minimal exhaust flow.

Cable or resistor mod keeps the ECU from opening the EGR, so ECU is not looking for pressure change that occurrs when EGR is open.
                  PCOV Member 1107.
                  Daily driver NX GLX
                  Semi retired NL GLS 3.5 (no airbags) in almost prestine condition to replace NJ.
                  Virtually fully retired NJ 2.8TD
                  Previously - NB LWB, NA SWB.

Comment

• Scooby
                    Valued Member
                    • Jan 2011
                    • Ipswich, Qld.

Originally posted by pharb View Post

When EGR opens the ECU expects specific pressure range at various points. With blanking plate when the EGR opens the ECU is expecting specific pressures, but not seeing them because blanking plate is blocking air flow, hence the small hole in blanking plate to allow somewhat correct pressures, but minimal exhaust flow.

Cable or resistor mod keeps the ECU from opening the EGR, so ECU is not looking for pressure change that occurrs when EGR is open.
                    This x 2

The part about run-ons and shaking on shut down.
                    Standard engine on shut down the ECU closes the intake butterfly and opens the EGR so it isn’t an instant shut down so a bit smoother.
                    Permanently closing the the EGR by what ever method, chip, resistor, ECU delete OR blanking plate will all give the same effect of an instant shutdown. Only a drilled plate might let it shut down a bit smoother.
                    Do you really need the intake butterfly if you have the EGR blocked.
                    Turn key off, injection stops, engine stops, no need to have a intake butterfly valve.
                    Most other diesel engines without EGR’s do not have them.
                    Scooby, Scott, Scooter, Whatever.

Pajero 2013 NW VRX DID Auto. Basically Stock. 300k. Heavier rear springs to tow the GG’s. Automate also to tow the GG,s.

Pajero 2002 NM GLS V6 Auto. Basically stock. 385k.

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
                      Valued Member
                      • Aug 2016
                      • Greater Sydney

Originally posted by Scooby View Post

This x 2

The part about run-ons and shaking on shut down.
                      Standard engine on shut down the ECU closes the intake butterfly and opens the EGR so it isn’t an instant shut down so a bit smoother.
                      Permanently closing the the EGR by what ever method, chip, resistor, ECU delete OR blanking plate will all give the same effect of an instant shutdown. .
                      Yep. Never had 'run on' with the cable.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X