• Show
Clear All
  • old Jack
    Regular
    • Jun 2011
    • Adelaide, South Australia.

Australia's most forgotten 4wd!

Todd's White PB Challenger featured.
    also check out his links to other trip articles he has had published.

OJ.
    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .
  • littleriver
    Valued Member
    • Jan 2013
    • Queensland

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
    Todd's White PB Challenger featured.
    also check out his links to other trip articles he has had published.

OJ.
    good read ... looks like we are keeping ours for several yrs to come .. 84k km only in 7 yrs ... ready for our next adventure...

2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) Safari Snorkel, OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch light bar on ECB Nudge bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T (116S), Uniden Dash cam, Oricom 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Comment

• amec
      Valued Member
      • Mar 2015
      • Wamberal

Awesome
      PC Challenger. TJM bar and winch. Dual battery with Redarc dc-dc, Redarc trailer brake controller. USB outlets everywhere, Uniden UH5060 UHF, $0.45 EGR mod. Lovells springs and Bilstein shocks For 50mm lift. LED spotties. MM 4X4 Automate. Airtec snorkel, Hancook dynapro, Bushskinz skid plates x3 + side steps.Torqit peddle thing. Torqit Power Module.

Comment

Originally posted by littleriver View Post
        good read ... looks like we are keeping ours for several yrs to come .. 84k km only in 7 yrs ... ready for our next adventure...

Noticed you have the 697lt on your challenger. We have done 81,000 klms on the Bridgestone 684 HT.
        What do you think of the 697s. Looking at getting them next week. Cheers

Comment

• Ozzyal
          • Sep 2017
          • Rushworth

Yep , I've had mine for about 2 years now . I got to say , it wasn't love at first , I missed my Delica .
          But 60,000km later , I'm warning up to it , its comfortable , economy is okay , as reliable as you can expect . Even with stock suspension and tyres is reasonably capable .
          Quite simply , I can't think what I'd replace it with that would do a better job for the cost of change over .

Comment

• littleriver
            Valued Member
            • Jan 2013
            • Queensland

Originally posted by fajer View Post
            Noticed you have the 697lt on your challenger. We have done 81,000 klms on the Bridgestone 684 HT.
            What do you think of the 697s. Looking at getting them next week. Cheers
            Been a great tyre, on our second set (did approx 50k km on them) probably could have done another 10k km, but I am fussy when it comes to tyres, at about 1/2 wear they are not as sticky ... went with 116/113 8 ply ... we do approx 20% off road 80% on road ... 36psi cold unladen around town, 40 psi cold 200kg weighted, 45psi cold 450kg all the gear with x4 people ... beach start at 20psi (450kg loaded on Fraser in May “no problem”) ... they are also quite good on fuel ⛽️ economy (expect approx 1L more per 100km compared to HT tyre ...

2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) Safari Snorkel, OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch light bar on ECB Nudge bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T (116S), Uniden Dash cam, Oricom 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Comment

• old Jack
              Regular
              • Jun 2011
              • Adelaide, South Australia.

The D697 is a really nice comfortable light duty mild AT tyre, with great road manners, especially in the wet.
              The 8 ply LT version it is stronger than the factory HT passenger construction tyres but only tread face. The shoulders and sidewalls are very soft and will easily damage when subject to rocks and gibbers fouds in the outback and coastal headlands.

There is a long term test thread on these tyres, highlighting the good, bad and ugly.

OJ.
              2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
              MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

Thanks OJ and littleriver. Bob Jane has them on special at $239 265/65/17 LT 116s. Buy 4 and get $100 eftpos card. Works out at $214 per tyre. More than happy with that.

Comment

• itsamitsi
                  Valued Member
                  • Aug 2015
                  • Hervey Bay Queensland

Yah I had them on the Challenger and now they're on my Prado. Got the Bridgy M/Ts on it now. They were OK on sand and stuff but were pretty much useless in wet sloppy stuff, even wet mushy grass they couldn't grip on.
                  Paul 2015 PC Challenger LS Auto - 2" Ultimate lift, Duraturn 265/70/17 A/Ts , catch can and resistor mod, Custom MCC Bullbar ,12000lb winch , Dual batteries ,Boo's Bash plates ,E-Drive throttle controller,Auto Mate, In car entertainment and more.

Comment

• littleriver
                    Valued Member
                    • Jan 2013
                    • Queensland

I’d like to add to the title ..

Australia’s most forgotten “& underrated” 4WD.....

Which due to poor advertising missed out on record sales (unlike the Pajero Sport) ...

A quick search also on Carsales has featured several Challengers well over 200k km & one 5k km short of the 300k mark ... there were some doubts of the modern diesel high powered 4 cylinder low capacity engine”s .. the proof is in the pudding ... these cars are keepers .. well done Mitsubishi

Comment

• cookie9
                      Valued Member
                      • Jul 2014
                      • Central Coast NSW

great article and pictures!

My only real beef with the vehicle is the lack of AUX tanks that dont require expensive rear bar for the spare (and engineering) and the pissy rating for the roof rails..

The car is starting to show its age (2011 model) with 165k on the clock with little things needing replacing/fixing, however its been super reliable and has never left me stranded or stuck!
                      2011 LS Auto Challenger, Ultimate 50mm suspension lift, Diff breathers, OEM towbar, Bushskinz.....

Comment

• Kingbrown
                        Valued Member
                        • Apr 2012
                        • Port Augusta - SA

Having completed almost 10000km over the past 6 weeks (SA to the Cape and return, including the OTT and Frenchman's Tk ), I'm more than happy with the way that my Challenger handled everything that was thrown at it.

The problems I saw on the Cape were ALL on that unbreakable brand of vehicle and included:
                        New vehicle drowned at Nolans.
                        Old traytop stuck and flooded at Nolans.
                        Radiator fan destroyed and pushed through radiator at Gunshot.
                        Highly modified (LS conversion) stalled in Nolans and was flooded.

The problems I witnessed boiled down to the attitude of the drivers rather than the capability of their vehicles.
                        2012 PB Challenger LS Manual

Comment

• amec
                          Valued Member
                          • Mar 2015
                          • Wamberal

Agreed Kingbrown.

Driver attitude makes big difference.
                          PC Challenger. TJM bar and winch. Dual battery with Redarc dc-dc, Redarc trailer brake controller. USB outlets everywhere, Uniden UH5060 UHF, $0.45 EGR mod. Lovells springs and Bilstein shocks For 50mm lift. LED spotties. MM 4X4 Automate. Airtec snorkel, Hancook dynapro, Bushskinz skid plates x3 + side steps.Torqit peddle thing. Torqit Power Module.

Comment

• Chris4x4
                            • May 2012
                            • Geelong

After 115,000, Chally is running very well nothing to report, no mods no catch can no nothing, all she has is a set of Hellas and a stereo. My auto performs very well without any mods but we are very light with the right foot and only tow around 1000kg occasionally. I am always looking underneath for leaks and things and around the turbo but there’s nothing.
                            For me it turns out that it does and keeps doing everything as advertised so far and still have 3 years of drive train warranty.
                            40 grand well spent for me so far.
                            Knock on wood!!
                            2022 Paj Sport, Grey, nicely hidden factory towbar, thanks MM,

Comment

• pb4x2
                              • May 2015
                              • Deception Bay Qld 4508

Although not a 4wd my 2012 PB Challenger 2wd would be even more forgotten than all your 4wd vehicles out there. I would even go so far as to suggest there are a lot of members of this forum who have never known of there existence. They are a great vehicle and I have every intention of keeping mine for many years to come.
                              2012 PB Challenger 4x2 auto

30mm Whiteline Front Sway Bar / SPV Delete / Catch can / Auto-mate / Lowered Front 35mm Rear 50mm / Side Steps Lowered 20mm / Rear Spoiler / Sony Double DIN xav-ax1000 / Rear Camera / All the Chrome bits

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X