Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Pajero Sport > Pajero Sport QF 2019 -

Old 6 Days Ago
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvll.mrrs View Post
Your words not mine

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk
Your words....

Seems we are both right? Though how something can be called a CTV when it only has one gear is beyond me.

It appears the petrol engine only drives the wheels through the 1 gear CVT when very specific conditions are met.

C constant
V variable
T transmission
1 out of 3 ain't bad I guess"

ARB Summit front & rear bars and side steps, Carryboy canopy and rack, Safari Snorkel, VRS 9500 winch, Gecko 16x7 rims with BFG 245/75r16 KM3s, Uniden 8080s UHF, Darche 270 awning
Dobinson heavy duty suspension, Harrop rear Elocker, Supertrim Neoprene Seat Covers, Drifta drawers, MSA drop slide, dual battery system and ARB onboard compressor. National Campers Hermit.

Previously a Gunmetal 2007 NS VRX DiD Auto
Old 6 Days Ago

The post was about the transmission of power to the wheels on the Mitsi Outlander PEV. I was not saying CVTs are all one gear. Only this one unusual vehicle. We were talking only about the Outlander PEV.

Old 6 Days Ago
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvll.mrrs View Post
The post was about the transmission of power to the wheels on the Mitsi Outlander PEV. I was not saying CVTs are all one gear. Only this one unusual vehicle. We were talking only about the Outlander PEV.

Yeah, I get that's what you are saying. The issue is there is no such thing as a fixed gear CVT. I can't find anything on the Mitxubishi site that explains exactly how the engine directly drives the wheels in ICE drive mode, but it certainly doesn't say it has a single gear CVT in it.

Edit:
I had a bit more of a read of the link you provided and they describe the transmission as "the GKN Multi-Mode eTransmission". It's not even vaguely like a CVT.

ARB Summit front & rear bars and side steps, Carryboy canopy and rack, Safari Snorkel, VRS 9500 winch, Gecko 16x7 rims with BFG 245/75r16 KM3s, Uniden 8080s UHF, Darche 270 awning
Dobinson heavy duty suspension, Harrop rear Elocker, Supertrim Neoprene Seat Covers, Drifta drawers, MSA drop slide, dual battery system and ARB onboard compressor. National Campers Hermit.

Last edited by Merts; 6 Days Ago at 03:43 PM. Reason: extra info.
Old 6 Days Ago

You are right and I said clearly the description of it being a CVT is nonsensical if it only has one ration. Perhaps looking at the following you can see why I said what I said. There is no logical reason why these Mitsi dealers keep referring to a PHEV CVT. I am sure I read recently a car reviewer also writting about a PHEV CVT. Unfortunately I can't find the review. However once again too many reviewers seem to have very little idea about what they are writting.

This is the link I had cut and pasted from. Its a Canadian Mitsi dealership by the look of it. Though we can't guarantee anything we find on the internet these days. Its about 1/3 of the way down the page.

https://johnscottimitsubishi.ca/en/2018-outlander-phev/

Also a search of google nz got

On trademe
https//www.trademe.co.nz/2356432002

NZ Mitsi dealers often advertised PHEVs like this

Mitsubishi Outlander VRX 2.0PHEV 4WD CVT 5Dr Wagon. From $286 per week^. Was $67,990 Now $52,990@*$#...

My sacasim is often misinterpreted.

I always thought Aussies had a well developed sacastic humour.

Old 6 Days Ago
Valued Member

With regard to sarcasm in written words, it's generally not that easy to pick up on, particularly when you take Poe's law into account.

Re dealers and reviewers, a large proportion of them know bugger all about anything even vaguely technical in regard to the vehicles they sell or review.

Old 5 Days Ago
Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by pajeromack View Post
Hub motors don't have enough torque for automotive use, and the higher torque designs tend to be speed restricted. Also they increase unsprung weight significantly.
Thanks for that. I was wondering why Mitsubishi's latest electric 4wd concept showed the motors being inboard, still driving the wheels via shafts. I suspected unsprung weight may have been a factor, but didn't consider torque capacity of hub motors.

At the recent 4wd Show in Adelaide I saw HPD's Zed70 - all electric 70 Series. 700Nm motor bolted to the transfer case, so still has high/low, but I did wonder if 700Nm (from zero rpm) would be enough (without 1st gear reduction) for severe off-road use - not that this is their target market. I also overheard something about speed limited to 70 km/h - so I guess there's still a trade-off between having lots of torque at low rpm and enough remaining torque at high rpm.

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box
Old 2 Days Ago

My hybrid Corolla uses a three phase AC motor as do all electric cars including Outlander PHEV. The Outlander PHEV also has a direct single gear mechanical linkage as does the Holden volt, which can engage under heavy acceleration above a certain speed, I'm not sure but perhaps around 40 to 50 km/h.