• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rodeo owner
    • Jun 2014
    • newcastle nsw

NL gearbox oil

Hi
    I just replaced the clutch in our NL 3.5 & am going change all the drive line oils. What gearbox oil is recommended? I have put 75/85 in the transfer case & I have LS90 for the diff but was wondering if there was something other than 75/85 for the gearbox. I have run ATF in other vehicles but we tow a van & do a bit of beach & bush stuff too so I don't want to hurt anything. how cool is a new clutch to drive with? Been battling with a worn clutch since we got our Pajero having to turn it off to select reverse & first in car parks was not fun. Love to hear your thoughts. Cheers Pete.
  • Aussie_Dan
    Valued Member
    • Jan 2010
    • Cairns

Gday Pete.
    Check the Castrol online lube guide for your NL.
    I suspect it will tell you the same as the Gen 3 , VMX-M.
    Cheers, Dan.
    2004 NP DiD GLX, 5 spd Manual with SMF, ARB Bullbar, Ironman 12000lb winch, Lightforce Genesis lights, Airtec Snorkel, 81L LRA tank, Unifilter, GME 3500 UHF, Redarc elec brake controller, ARB dual Batt tray with 60AH Deep cycle Batt & Redarc Isolator, Bushskinz Sliders, intercooler and sump guards, Lovells raised HD springs, Polyairs & Bilstein shocks, Milford Cargo Barrier, Philips +100 globes, 2nd set of rims with 245/75x16 Bighorns, Waeco 60L Fridge & a Cavalier camper trailer!

Comment

• schnitzel
      Valued Member
      • Dec 2009
      • Bendigo

It is vmx m for the box and transfer in all the gen 2's
      Current vehicles: 2017 Toyota Hilux, 2022 Hyundai Kona,2022 VW T-Cross1995 3.5l nj Pajero , 1995 2.8td Mitsubishi Delica,2011 , 2 x 1971 ta 22 celicas, 74 ta 22 celica, ke 35 corollla with 18rg, 95 gtr 1000, 79 leyland terrier bus ( 350 chev),1978 ke 35 corolla, 1980 ra 40 celica 18rgeu,2011 agricat jd495,chamberlain g6 plus a few other odds and ends

Comment

• bilgeboy
        Valued Member
        • May 2011
        • melbourne

Hey Shnitzel,,

just found this thread, Im having fuss with the syncros in my gearbox since the clutch got done, and im thinking that I might have the wrong oil in the gearbox.

gear change is good at first, but seems to get harder in all gears (mostly first and second) when ive been driving for a while, particularly in hotter weather.

is the VMX for the 5spd in the diesel as well as the petrol? im guessing they are an entirely different box to the petrol.

thanks. retensioning the head has worked a treat, still leaks a tiny bit but its a much better outcome than expected.

2008 VRX 25TH anniversary with lots of extras
        GONE! 1997 NK Pajero turbo diesel GLX 31" Maxxis bighorns/2'Lift/ARB Winchbar/ warn x9000/ IPF 900 Spots/GME UHF and a Jesus bar.

Comment

• BBP
          • Oct 2007
          • Canberra

VMX-M is what I use in my diesel NL. Bit stiff when cold, better when hot.

The M is for Mitsubishi I understand.

Wondering what engine oil is best for you? Look up your vehicle model and find the right fit for your car's engine. Check out our recommendations here.

From the Castrol site for a Diesel NL:

Manual Transmission
          Service Refill Capacity: 3.7 Litres.
          CASTROL MANUAL VMX-M 75W-85
          Wide ranging high performance multigrade manual transmission fluid specifically formulated to meet and overcome the problems of cold shift performance as well as meeting the factory fill and service requirements of Mtisubishi manual transmissions and transaxles. For manual transmissions where GL-4 SAE 75W, 75W-80 or 75W-85 are recommended.

It is what is listed in the manual also.
          if you are having shifting issues, swap to VMX-M. Supercheap have it.

Rob

Comment

• Pauly Faulkner
            Valued Member
            • Feb 2012
            • Maitland, NSW

If it's stiff when cold then put some nulon G70 in it.
            97' NK 3ltr GLX LWB Manual | 3" lift | Wildcat headers | K&N air filter | 2.8 crawl gears | 4Terrain clutch | 2.25" exhaust | Factory locker rear | TJM 10,000lb winch | TJM snorkel
            97' NL GLS LWB Auto | 6G75 3.8ltr | Redback Headers

Comment

• bilgeboy
              Valued Member
              • May 2011
              • melbourne

hard to change when hot, OK when cold. Ill ask the Mechanic what He put in, It doesnt make a lot of sense that it was all good before the clutch went in, first theory was the syncronisers were on the way out, but im hoping its just the oil.

still looking for a speedo transducer if anyone has one.

Thanks all.

Jon.
              2008 VRX 25TH anniversary with lots of extras
              GONE! 1997 NK Pajero turbo diesel GLX 31" Maxxis bighorns/2'Lift/ARB Winchbar/ warn x9000/ IPF 900 Spots/GME UHF and a Jesus bar.

Comment

• schnitzel
                Valued Member
                • Dec 2009
                • Bendigo

I've never used the Nulon but can't see any reason not to try, most common thing I've found with hard shifting is the wrong oil has been used in most cases.

Yes the vmx m is the right oil for all the gear boxes in the gen 2, was developed initially with mitsubishi to fix this problem in earlier vehicles.
                Current vehicles: 2017 Toyota Hilux, 2022 Hyundai Kona,2022 VW T-Cross1995 3.5l nj Pajero , 1995 2.8td Mitsubishi Delica,2011 , 2 x 1971 ta 22 celicas, 74 ta 22 celica, ke 35 corollla with 18rg, 95 gtr 1000, 79 leyland terrier bus ( 350 chev),1978 ke 35 corolla, 1980 ra 40 celica 18rgeu,2011 agricat jd495,chamberlain g6 plus a few other odds and ends

Comment

• GHendo
                  Valued Member
                  • Mar 2012
                  • Northern NSW

Castrol VMX-M and Nulon G70 - works well in the Gen 3 manual boxes. First to second was always a bit slow particularly when cold - the Nulon helped a lot.

Geoff
                  03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.

Comment

• rodeo owner
                    • Jun 2014
                    • newcastle nsw

I just changed the gearbox & transfer case oils today. I put Castrol VMX as recommended & it's amazing how much better it shifts. We have only had the car for 9 myths or so & have only put about 3000km on it but 1st to 2 JD was always notchy. When I drained the gearbox it had ATF in it. Don't know why but it's gone now. Good oil is expensive for a reason & it's still cheaper than a rebuild.
                    cheers Pete

Comment

• voluum
                      • Dec 2010
                      • Yarra Valley

Valvoline Duragear 75-85 for me, plus a Wynns gearbox/diff treatment.

WYNN'S HIGH PERFORMANCE LUBRICANT SUPPLEMENT is formulated to improve the performance and service life of extreme pressure gear oils. The multi-function formula contains viscosity index improvers, anti-foamants, anti-oxidants, corrosion inhibitors and the unique Wynn's Friction Proofing package of anti-wear agents. The multi-functional additives present in Wynn's High Performance Lubricant Supplement provide the following benefits: Control and reduce wear resulting from direct metal to metal contact under extreme loads.Control and reduce temperature build-up resulting from direct metal to metal contact under extreme loads.

Fixed the slightly notchy shift from first to second when cold.
                      NL Escape - Maxxis, MCC, Runva, Narva, Uniden, Vision X, Ignite, Pioneer, Revolution, Ctek, Great Whites, Dobinsons, Desert Fox, Projecta, Strike, VMS, Boo's Bash Plates, Rock Sliders, Redarc, Primus, Polyairs, AOB Breathers, Homebrand Drawers and eBay. Now towing Mars Hardfloor Camper. More pending

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X