• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • triad10
    • Mar 2019
    • Townsville

Clunking noise from drive line

Hi all my first post. I've read about the problem I have with my 2012 NW pajero on the forum before but have never seen anyone post what the actual cause is and what the fix was.
    The clunk happens when I go forward from stationary and same in reverse, also when lifting foot while in 2nd gear and replacing same,only doing less than 40 k's. is good when cruising no noise or vibration. i went into Mitsubishi here in Townsville and they are at a loss as to what is causing the clunk, they want to remove the transfer case and gearbox for further investigation. They checked the hub nuts and drive shafts, all good there.
    I have recently had the springs and shocks replaced also the trailing arm bushes and the diff bushes replaced too.
    If anyone has had this problem, any info on the cause and the fix would be appreciated My mileage is just under 60,000,and i also went around Aust a couple of years ago towing a camper trailer.
    Last edited by triad10; 05-04-19, 01:54 AM.
  • old Jack
    Regular
    • Jun 2011
    • Adelaide, South Australia.

Did it clunk before the suspension was changed?

OJ.
    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• triad10
      • Mar 2019
      • Townsville

No all was good my first thought was springs, took it back but they checked out ok.

Comment

• old Jack
        Regular
        • Jun 2011
        • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by triad10 View Post
        No all was good my first thought was springs, took it back but they checked out ok.
        With the cars weight on the wheels, grab the upper portion of the rear shockers and give them a good hard wiggle. I found one loose a few months after we did a Gen 4 suspension upgrade, it was not detectable when then car was off the ground and the suspension at full droop. Only reason I can think of is if the top bushes are aligned and seated 100% correctly on installation and then they more into the correct location once the weight is on the wheels and the suspension starts working.

OJ.
        2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
        MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• rykiel575
          • Sep 2017
          • Sydney

I get a clunk too i think when shifting through the gears (automatic) when standing.

I.e. park to drive. Or drive to reverse, etc.

My NW has 310k
          Last edited by rykiel575; 23-04-19, 12:05 AM.
          2012 NW Pajero GXL 3.2L

Comment

• Paul NT
            • Aug 2018
            • Emerald, Vic

I too have a clunk when on and off the throttle in 2nd or 3rd gear. I'm 99% certain it's back lash in the differential. I wonder if changing the oil or maybe a thicker oil may help, or could it be some kind of differential mount that could be loose?

Comment

• rykiel575
              • Sep 2017
              • Sydney

I had a BA falcon back in the day. Similar thump. Diff mounts
              2012 NW Pajero GXL 3.2L

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
                Valued Member
                • Aug 2016
                • Greater Sydney

Originally posted by rykiel575 View Post
                I had a BA falcon back in the day. Similar thump. Diff mounts

Common problem with the Falcon.

Comment

• nnikbg
                  • Mar 2019
                  • Varna, Bulgaria

Just check rear wheel nuts. I had same problem after tyre exchange.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

Comment

• triad10
                    • Mar 2019
                    • Townsville

Thanks for all the advice guys, will try all your suggestions. I seem to think pulling gearbox out seems a bit over the top, but I just hope it don't come to that.Have a good Easter guys, keep it safe...(but not together.

Comment

• messmorph
                      • Nov 2013
                      • Perth

My car made the same weird clunk after a suspension lift.

Mitsubishi said it was the brushes. Sold the car before fixing it
                      2011 NT Diesel 35k Manual, EGR plate with hole, Diesel Chip

Comment

• cate03
                        • Jun 2010
                        • Sydney

Had a similar problem, clunking on and off throttle 2nd 3rd gear, mechanic and I checked all drive train for backlash, all ok. Researched and found an obscure post somewhere and mechanic and I then checked the rear axle hub lock nuts. RHS was backed off and tightened again...a little loose, LHS was backed off and tightened, quite loose, gained another 3/4 turn on hub nut. Noise now gone, my mechanic was impressed that we found the problem and we'll now keep an eye on them. (Note: need a good breaker bar and a big ar$e socket 58mm?...can't remember)

Carl

Comment

• 4ePikanini
                          Valued Member
                          • Dec 2009
                          • South Africa, East London

Tiniest play on rear prop will also give the clunk.

Sent from my S60 Lite using Tapatalk
                          1993 3.0 V6 Pajero - SOLD
                          2001 3.2 Di-D Pajero - SOLD
                          2005 Touareg R5 2.5 TDi - SOLD
                          2007 Pajero LWB 3.2 Di-D

Comment

• Pistol5999
                            • Sep 2015
                            • QLD

I have had the same problem with my NT pajero. I have taken it to two mechanics and both were unable to find the problem. Consequently the problem futher developed from a clunk noise to a clunk with a clink noise.
                            I did some rearch on the internet and found the cause of the problem. It's a loose wheel bearing nut on the left rear. So I went out and bought a torque wrench, a 36mm sochet and some 4mm split pins. Jack up the left rear, remove wheel, remove wheel bearing dust cover, remove split pin, use 36mm socket and torque wrench to tighten nut to 210nm, refit dust cover and wheel and volla no more clunky clinky noise. This seems to be a common problem with the pajero.
                            Hope this helps fellow pajero drivers.
                            Regards Peter

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X