• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bru9
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2014
    • Victoria

Waterproofing Petrol under bonnet for river crossing

Looking for a guide or video on exactly what & how to waterproof & prepare to go bonnet deep. Usually makeshift things like tarp at front etc. But the details would be nice, like how exactly one would go with the alternator, starter motor & the spark plugs etc.

Not really sure if this kind of river crossing is recommended with all the electronics, but id still like to be able to do it.

Thanks.
    2000 NM Exceed Auto V6 3.5
  • Paj man
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2010
    • Perth

What engine do you have mate?
    1997 NK - Quad cam goodness turning 33 Duratrac's and 4.9 diffs, 2inch lift, steel front/sides/rear, front locker and a winch

Now pending: Nothing

Comment

• Bru9
      Valued Member
      • Jun 2014
      • Victoria

Originally posted by Paj man View Post
      What engine do you have mate?
      All I know for now is V6 3.5L, plus auto. Ill check later what engine it is.

Comment

• Bogger
        Unregistered as asked
        • May 2011

If leads are good then plugs should be sealed, not a lot you can do with the rest. Probably most important thing is to keep a smooth constant speed once you have a bow wave set up and not a lot of water will get up into engine bay. If you stop ................. then whole different ball game. Have ran 6 inches over bonnet many times and she just keeps on pulling.
        From the look of the weather forecast up here in the next few days it may be a testing time once again.
        Snorkel of course and if in doub't either pull the alt belt or I prefer to tie up the clutch fan as it stops a lot of water being splashed around the engine bay and also if it turns into a prop prevents it eating your radiator core. Good luck and practice technique before diving in the deep end .......... that should read driving into the deep end.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Bogger; 19-02-15, 06:13 AM.

Comment

• Bru9
          Valued Member
          • Jun 2014
          • Victoria

Originally posted by Bogger View Post
          If leads are good then plugs should be sealed, not a lot you can do with the rest. Probably most important thing is to keep a smooth constant speed once you have a bow wave set up and not a lot of water will get up into engine bay. If you stop ................. then whole different ball game. Have ran 6 inches over bonnet many times and she just keeps on pulling.
          From the look of the weather forecast up here in the next few days it may be a testing time once again.
          Snorkel of course and if in doub't either pull the alt belt or I prefer to tie up the clutch fan as it stops a lot of water being splashed around the engine bay and also if it turns into a prop prevents it eating your radiator core. Good luck and practice technique before diving in the deep end .......... that should read driving into the deep end.
          Thanks,

I'm not sure if most V6 petrols are viscous fans? Do I just try to spin in by hand with engine off? If it turns does that mean its a viscous fan? Does it need to spin on its own for a little like a bike wheel to be viscous?

I assume a switch setup to turn it off is pointless, as you got to go under bonnet & do a bit of work anyway like spraying some areas with silicon.

Comment

• XTV
            • Apr 2011
            • Adelaide Hills

Some are probably more experienced than me in this area (my experience with driving through deep water is pretty old) but I would spray everything electrical with copious amounts of WD40 concentrating on the spark plug leads, distributor cap, coil etc.

Pull of the spark plug leads, fill the ends with WD40 and then put back on.

Put a tarp over and under the front of the car to keep as much water as possible out of the engine compartment.

Be sensible about the depth - walk the crossing first.

Turn the airconditioner off - that will turn off the condenser fan.

If it has an an electric engine fan, pull the fuse.

Alternator and starter should be OK - however it wouldn't hurt to spray as much WD40 as you can get in through the alternator cooling vents before you enter the water.

Leave the engine running after you leave the water to boil or shake off as much as water as possible.

If the engine has a miss, you may have to dry the spark plug tops, leads, wires etc by hand.

Colin

Comment

• Bru9
              Valued Member
              • Jun 2014
              • Victoria

Originally posted by XTV View Post
              Some are probably more experienced than me in this area (my experience with driving through deep water is pretty old) but I would spray everything electrical with copious amounts of WD40 concentrating on the spark plug leads, distributor cap, coil etc.

Pull of the spark plug leads, fill the ends with WD40 and then put back on.

Put a tarp over and under the front of the car to keep as much water as possible out of the engine compartment.

Be sensible about the depth - walk the crossing first.

Turn the airconditioner off - that will turn off the condenser fan.

If it has an an electric engine fan, pull the fuse.

Alternator and starter should be OK - however it wouldn't hurt to spray as much WD40 as you can get in through the alternator cooling vents before you enter the water.

Leave the engine running after you leave the water to boil or shake off as much as water as possible.

If the engine has a miss, you may have to dry the spark plug tops, leads, wires etc by hand.

Colin
              Thanks,

WD40 seems to thin to me, would typical silicon spray be a lot better?

Comment

• BROOMZPAJ
                • Mar 2010
                • Geelong

Originally posted by Bogger View Post
                WTF!!!

Mate, that photo?

Someone call Tony Abbott. I reckon Australia has just found it's replacement for the Collin's class subs!
                2012 MY12 NW Exceed 3.2 DiD
                Cool Silver - Nudge Bar - Bonnet Protector - Cargo Liner - Sports Roof Rack Cross Bars - UltraGauge - Bushskinz IC & Sump guards - T'EYES CC3 head unit with integrated front & rear cameras - Trap Mats - EGR control - Travall Pet Barrier - Pirelli Scorpion AT Plus - 2" lift via Bilstein shocks/struts & King springs.

Comment

• Andrei.s
                  • Mar 2015
                  • Sydney

as some experienced truck driver advised - it's better to use lanolyne over all type of connections etc. so i spray some before each travel.

Comment

• NJV6
                    Valued Member
                    • Sep 2010
                    • New Zealand

Never had an issue with water on my 3.5, alternators get wet but clean water seems to be ok, boggy water holes are a different story, it destroys them pretty quick.

Happily go through deep water with a hard bottom but really don't like sitting in water, got close to the ECU once, as soon as you stop moving, water comes in dam quick!
                    1994 NJ SWB, 3.5 Manual, 285/75/16 Deegan 38s MT, 25mm body lift, Twin ARB air lockers, XD9000 winch, custom bar.
                    1991 NH LWB, 3.9 V8, trayback, solid front axle, Toyota hi mount winch
                    2011 NT GLX DiD, 3.2 Manual, 285/65/17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W, SPV EGR, Lovells SD rear, HD front, Bilsteins, Custom underbody protection, Safari Snorkel, JTig intercooler and loads of zip ties in the dash...

Comment

• Bru9
                      Valued Member
                      • Jun 2014
                      • Victoria

Originally posted by NJV6 View Post
                      Never had an issue with water on my 3.5, alternators get wet but clean water seems to be ok, boggy water holes are a different story, it destroys them pretty quick.

Happily go through deep water with a hard bottom but really don't like sitting in water, got close to the ECU once, as soon as you stop moving, water comes in dam quick!
                      Good to hear.

I wouldn't take mine through deep unless I had too, good to know the basics incase. I just think of all the water getting into places that will take ages to dry out & cause problems.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X