Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 4-1 Pajero

Generation 4-1 Pajero NS Model 2006 - 2009

Old 3 Weeks Ago

Angry Auto to manual uphill dropped down a gear and clunk engine stopped

Hi All,

I was climbing up a moderate incline on a freeway, have had power issues for a long time ever since timing chain was replaced (Now that's a storybook in itself).

Anyway, climbing the hill and as the incline was becoming greater all the vehicles behind me were rapidly closing on me, I was struggling to climb.

I shifted from Auto to Manual with the intention of selecting a lower gear to try and gain some more pull.
When I shifted it to Auto to Manual I would have thought it would have automatically selected 5th gear as I was going 100km/h.

It selected 4th, it still wasn't pulling in 4th in manual, so I dropped it to 3rd and heard a loud clunk, possibly a bang which felt as though it came from the lower half of the engine, due to the vibration from wherever the clunk/bang originated from.

Had the stereo on so cannot describe any better the noise I heard, must have been loud though for me to hear it over the stereo.

Immediately after the clunk/bang, she started losing revs, I moved onto the hard shoulder and in doing so she cut out, the engine stopped.

I assumed the gearbox had s**t itself as I've been having issues with it in Auto holding onto the gears for way too long before changing.

Didn't see any transmission fluid or any other oil for that matter on the hard shoulder underneath the vehicle.

The engine would turn over but not start when in P or N. She sounded as if she wanted to start but couldn't.

Towed home by the RAC.

Today, I removed the black plastic top engine cover.
When you are standing at the front bumper at the middle of the front of the vehicle looking into the engine bay at the top of the engine with the engine cover removed, I see a large squarish silver box which to the left of the oil fill cap and is raised higher than what the oil fill spout/neck sits in.

The larger squarish box I am looking at on the left has (4 cracks about 10-15mm long and the cracks are protruding outwards as if something within the inside of the square block is trying to push it's way out of the side of the block. It looks as though the protruding area has been made by a round object.

Apologies for the long story, what I am trying to ask here is does anyone know what is directly under that squarish box to the left of the oil fill/neck.

Is it the timing chain or tappets?

I am trying to figure if a tappet has become totally loose or something like that and tried smashing it's way out the side of the square metal box.

Any suggestions or previous experiences would be greatly appreciated.

I know I've had a noisy tappet in that area, pretty sure it was the front r/h tappet.

The mechanic who fixed up the new replacement timing chain said he had re-adjusted all the tappets before building the engine back up, and informed me that one tappet is very noisy and he could do anything about it.

The replacement timing chain kit and labour was a few grand, so i opted not to have new tappets at that time, due to the expense.

07 NS 3.2 Pajero, Auto, Diesel with 234,000km on the clock.

TIA
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Sorry to hear mate. Not much help I can offer, but some photos of the damage might help those that can
2007 NS Pajero GLS Diesel. Factory rear diff lock. Custom rear bumper guard. Custom side steps. Boos front three 3mm bash plates. Maxxis AT980. Couple of CB radios. Provent 200. Traction control diff lock mod. ASFIR hidden winch mount with Domin8r X 12,000lb winch.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Valued Member

Today, I removed the black plastic top engine cover.
When you are standing at the front bumper at the middle of the front of the vehicle looking into the engine bay at the top of the engine with the engine cover removed, I see a large squarish silver box which to the left of the oil fill cap and is raised higher than what the oil fill spout/neck sits in.

The larger squarish box I am looking at on the left has (4 cracks about 10-15mm long and the cracks are protruding outwards as if something within the inside of the square block is trying to push it's way out of the side of the block. It looks as though the protruding area has been made by a round object.

By your description it sounds like a failure is under the rocker cover, under the rocker cover is the overhead valve gear and camshaft so it does not look promising.

OJ.
2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Nightbreaker +130LB & Phillips +100 HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .
Old 3 Weeks Ago

How long since the timing chain was replaced?
Sounds like whoever did that made a right mess of things.
3M color stable tint all round. Spare wheel lift kit. 'Dynamat' in all doors. Pioneer AVH-Z5150BT Head Unit. Upgraded Speakers. Rear USB outlet. Factory nudge bar with Light Force Spotties. Provent catch can.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Valued Member

I know this wont help but why was the timing chain replaced?
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Valued Member

As previously stated the square silver box is the rocker cover and directly under where you described is the camshafts, valve gear, rockers arms etc and to the front the camshaft sprockets and timing chain. See pics below of cover on and cover off.

Unfortunately it doesn't sound good my friend. It could be the timing chain has let go, a cam shaft has broke but will need an inspection to work out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20190526-015936_Samsung Internet.jpg (110.9 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20190526-015903_Samsung Internet.jpg (77.0 KB, 59 views)

Previously
88 NF SWB 2.6 manual
92 NH LWB 3.0 auto
92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
95 NJ SWB 3.0 auto
99 Cruiser 4.5 manual with all the fruit
Old 3 Weeks Ago

It sounds like a tappet has wound itself tight as they do over a period of time if not adjusted or incorrectly adjusted would explain your power issues and it has finally made contact with a piston and shot it up into your valve train that would explain your loud bang hopefuly not but your motor would be shot.
How many km has the engine done since you had the rebuild/adjustment ?