• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BruceandBobbi
    Valued Member
    • Aug 2016
    • Greater Sydney

Originally posted by bennyb29 View Post
    I also got mine attended to, with rubber grease being applied. Its amazing how quiet it sounds now, compared to the racket it made earlier when turning the steering.

Hey Benny.

Do you know where and how the grease was applied?

Comment

• aussieintas
      Valued Member
      • Feb 2013
      • Sorell, Tasmania

Bruce its where the steering shaft goes through the rubber boot in the firewall. Its tight around the rubber boot but easily doable. Link to thread with pics below.

Bushman......got to love dealer mechs who said that to you. I put a small amount of grease on mine 3 years ago and still no noise.
      2014 VW Touareg V6 diesel

Previously
      88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
      92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
      92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
      99 Landcruiser Gxl 4.5 manual with all the fruit
      95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
      08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• oscaroo
        • Dec 2017
        • Sydney

My my18 had a squeeky steering wheel too.
        I made it point up less and the noise was gone.

Comment

• Garc
          • May 2015
          • Perth

Bruce, you will need to remove a small plastic panel just above the pedals. Just held in with clips I think. Then you will se the rubber boot.
          Gary

2008 NS DiD Exceed. MM factory alloy full bar, Autosafe cargo barrier, Roley's rear bash plate, Uniden 8080 UHF, Kings 120A lithium battery in rear cargo area, Renogy DCDC charger, fire ext mounted in place of rear door handle, Redarc EBC, BushSkinz IC & sump. ARB Frontier replacement fuel tank, Pedders track rider suspension. Lockup Mate.

Comment

• Seigried
            Valued Member
            • Apr 2016
            • brisbane

2 or 3 clips. The lagest one is a screw type.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Comment

• bennyb29
              Valued Member
              • Nov 2015
              • Brisbane

Originally posted by BruceandBobbi View Post
              Hey Benny.

Do you know where and how the grease was applied?
              I didnt know there were pictorial insrtructions, else i would have tried it myself.
              The steps are exactly as mentioned in the link provided by aussieintas below.

Originally posted by aussieintas View Post
              Bruce its where the steering shaft goes through the rubber boot in the firewall. Its tight around the rubber boot but easily doable. Link to thread with pics below.

Bushman......got to love dealer mechs who said that to you. I put a small amount of grease on mine 3 years ago and still no noise.
              Thanks for sharing this.

EDIT : How do i request the moderators to add the following post as a sticky to this thread?

Mitsubishi Pajero NT Platinum 2010

Comment

• Keithyv
                Valued Member
                • May 2018
                • Perth

Reviving old thread. I've suffered from the groaning steering column and through this forum solved it.
                Well, I solved it for a few weeks by applying rubber grease (had to go out specially and buy a tube)
                Worked wonders for a while then it started groaning again. Greased the rubber boot again, figured I'd missed a spot or didn't put enough around there.

All good again for a month or 2. This time I used normal axle grease. All good again for 6 months or so.
                Now blow me down it's started again for a 4th time. I'm getting bloody sick of contorting under the dash and doing this. What a bloody pain
                2014 NW MY14 3.2 DID GLX-R Auto. Champagne in colour!
                MM Lockup mate. King KCRS-35 rear springs. Monroe Gas Magnum TDT rear shocks. 3M color stable tint all round. Spare wheel lift kit. 'Dynamat' in all doors and rear cargo area. Pioneer AVH-Z5150BT Head Unit. Upgraded Speakers. Rear (2nd row) USB outlet. Factory nudge bar with LED light bar. Provent catch can. LED interior lights. Rear cargo area twin Andersons and Merit socket. Anderson plug in rear bumper. 6 channel TPMS.

Comment

• Garc
                  • May 2015
                  • Perth

Try greasing the boot from the engine side
                  Gary

2008 NS DiD Exceed. MM factory alloy full bar, Autosafe cargo barrier, Roley's rear bash plate, Uniden 8080 UHF, Kings 120A lithium battery in rear cargo area, Renogy DCDC charger, fire ext mounted in place of rear door handle, Redarc EBC, BushSkinz IC & sump. ARB Frontier replacement fuel tank, Pedders track rider suspension. Lockup Mate.

Comment

• signo1985
                    • Sep 2017
                    • Perth

Hi Keith, I was wondering if you ended up finding a solution to the recurrent noise coming back?

Originally posted by Keithyv View Post
                    Reviving old thread. I've suffered from the groaning steering column and through this forum solved it.
                    Well, I solved it for a few weeks by applying rubber grease (had to go out specially and buy a tube)
                    Worked wonders for a while then it started groaning again. Greased the rubber boot again, figured I'd missed a spot or didn't put enough around there.

All good again for a month or 2. This time I used normal axle grease. All good again for 6 months or so.
                    Now blow me down it's started again for a 4th time. I'm getting bloody sick of contorting under the dash and doing this. What a bloody pain
                    I have the exact same problem, the first time I applied the rubber grease it lasted for 2y, but now it comes back every 2-4 weeks and drives me nuts.
                    I also tried white zinc grease and then some silicon spray hoping to push the grease down a bit.
                    Nah, back with a vengeance

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
                      Valued Member
                      • Aug 2016
                      • Greater Sydney

I went to an Equine vet and purchased a horse syringe. Massive thing and filled it with rubber grease and injected it through the rubber boot on both sides. works for a couple of years than I do it again.

I'm glad I'm not a horse.

Comment

• signo1985
                        • Sep 2017
                        • Perth

Originally posted by BruceandBobbi View Post
                        I went to an Equine vet and purchased a horse syringe. Massive thing and filled it with rubber grease and injected it through the rubber boot on both sides. works for a couple of years than I do it again.

I'm glad I'm not a horse.
                        I ve used a panadol syringe for kids, maybe that's why lol

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X