• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dizmona
    • May 2019
    • yinnar south

Help Pls - strange noise coming from under bonnet

I have a 2007 3.2l pajero, done just over 200,000km, for the past year or so I have had a strange noise coming from under the bonnet, sounds like a purging air noise or similar, does not affect drive quality, no limp mode, no loss of power etc. I had the inlet manifold and other areas of motor cleaned out a little while ago however this did not affect the noise. It is not turbo noise, I need some pointers if anyone has any, thanks Simon
  • _jp_
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2013
    • Adelaide Hills, SA

Under what conditions is the noise generated?

Any chance of you recording it on your phone and uploading it?
    NW GLXR - SOLD
    --------------
    EVO 6 TME

Comment

• dizmona
      • May 2019
      • yinnar south

JP, the frustrating thing is that it is not constant, it is intermittent and no consistency when it happens. I will certainly try to record it. cheers

Comment

• sharkcaver
        "2000"+ Valued Contributor
        • May 2009
        • Perth

Check your intercooler hose hasn't parted ways with the intercooler. A reasonably common problem.
        MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• dizmona
          • May 2019
          • yinnar south

Thanks Shark, will do.

Comment

• dizmona
            • May 2019
            • yinnar south

Gday Shark I have tried to upload file however the system is saying invalid file it is a m4a sound file from iphone, can I email you directly?

Comment

• dizmona
              • May 2019
              • yinnar south

Shark, the noise file has now been uploaded
              Attached Files

Comment

• sharkcaver
                "2000"+ Valued Contributor
                • May 2009
                • Perth

Dunno. Sounds like you have a chook in there.
                MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• nstarrengower
                  • Jun 2016
                  • maldon

hi, i have the exact same noise, happens a few times when cold, on the first few brake applications, very rare to hear it after the first 10 minutes of driving, is it the ABS sensor ??, cheers, NSTARRENGOWER,,,,3.8l vrx ns 2007

Comment

• dizmona
                    • May 2019
                    • yinnar south

Interesting this noise happens also when I am not on the brakes so I am not sure that this is the problem, but I have no idea

Comment

• Axis
                      Valued Member
                      • Jul 2011
                      • Highett Vic

Slightly different but similar to this noise - this was another forum members noise that was the same as I had for a long time. Mine was easily heard from inside the car. There are threads on the forum indicating it is the HBB motor (most issues on the Gen 3 section). I just had a new commutator put on my motor this week and put it all back together today.

I bled brakes today but will follow the process to bleed air from the HBB tomorrow as I have a vibration through the brake pedal when the HBB motor runs.

I am hoping that this is the end of the noise but it may take a few days to confirm as the noise was intermittent, but would occur once every 2 or 3 drives.

edit: our NS has done approx 294k kms.

Cheers,
                      James
                      Attached Files
                      07 NS DiD GLX Manual, Alloy Bullbar, 2" lift, Bilstein shocks, King Springs, Kumho MT51, Oricom UHF088, Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Airtec Snorkel, Bushskinz Intercooler Guard, Boo's Sump and Tansmission Bash Plates

Comment

• dizmona
                        • May 2019
                        • yinnar south

James my noise occurs even when i am not on the brakes, the noise is more prevalent when motor cold, when motor hot it makes likes an exasperated high pitch noise again sounds like an air purge or similar

Comment

• nj swb
                          Resident
                          • Jun 2007
                          • Adelaide

Originally posted by dizmona View Post
                          James my noise occurs even when i am not on the brakes, the noise is more prevalent when motor cold, when motor hot it makes likes an exasperated high pitch noise again sounds like an air purge or similar
                          The HBB is an "accumulator" that pumps up to pressure then stops. Over time the pressure can "bleed down" whether the brakes are used or not, so the HBB will run at seemingly random intervals.

Don't discount the HBB.
                          NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• dizmona
                            • May 2019
                            • yinnar south

just done some more research, might also be a faulty brake accumulator that is making the noise

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X